IGNORED

Highway Encounter

shanti77

This is my attempt to convert the zx spectrum game released in 1985. The presentation on Silly Venture 2018 unfortunately leaves a lot to be desired, but I hope that the game itself will appeal to you and encourage you to play. This is not the final version yet, because it has been around 6.5 KB of free memory, and we are going to add music to the final version.

highway.atr

highway.xex

• Like 23

the rainbow is making the rays look nice and animated on the loading screen picture and isn't so much flashing, I am using NTSC and loading XEX from pbi cart... it's super quick loading that way. maybe more pronounced other ways. Option/Title screen looks rock solid, game plays nicely.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Another game, is someone trying to disprove my point that there's a quietness about the way the Atari scene is in terms of not telling folks about wip's, new games and idea's for games...Superb day, thank you all!!!

You all shouted about your stuff and we heard you...

Whilst I'm not an isometric gamer person there's no knocking this port of Highway Encounter, it ticks every box and gives us Atarians even more goodness to play with..

Thank you Shanti....EDIT: Sorry Jose and Mariuz, didn't see your names initially......Thank you all..

How about a Moon Cresta :)

Space Eggs which is a very nice close clone is very nice but an arcade close Moon Cresta would be really lovely...

Will it be ready by next week?

:)

Seriously, just a thought for you if you ever want a game to do and have the time which in today's life styles won't be much :(

Thank you...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Some of the very best software is in the works for the Atari right now. The talent, tenacity, and tools are making it happen. I couldn't be more pleased with what I've been seeing. Thank you for another enjoyable title!

I ask for a small change, make screen saver or attract mode active in some way, even if it's to select demonstration run every so often.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Thanks all.

The flickering of the image was purposeful, it was supposed to resemble the loading that occurs in the ZX Spectrum and C64. After that, the picture is also intentionally drawn during loading, and then the color is added (this is usually the case of images loaded on the ZX Spectrum, this is due to the construction of image memory in this computer). To observe this effect, read the .atr file without accelerating the disk drive. Image is the conversion of the original, has 8 colors.

The game works in the PAL and NTSC system, of course in NTSC it will slow down more often, while the colors are loaded during loading, so that both versions look similar.

People with rapidus will be satisfied, because on it the game should not slow down, it is also expected to use additional memory which will speed up the game on ordinary cpu.

Sound effects are original samples from ZX Spectrum converted and reproduced on Atari, they sound almost identical.

The game thanks to Antic and dual buffer technology runs a bit faster than on ZX Spectrum, switching frames occurs at any moment of the screen (no need to wait for the drawing to finish).

I attach the version without flickering.

Thanks to MariuszW , Jose and Solaris104 for help with conversion.

highway.atr

highway.xex

• Like 6

running the original xex and atr you released here, I played with a screen for of enemies etc. and did not notice any slow down.

since I almost always use PBI / cart / faster sio rates I probably don't see flashing/flicker. What was seen looked as it should, I wouldn't have changed anything. The colors changes for the rays behind the image looked perfect to me on the earlier release and showed through as was intended.

Will download latest atr and xex.

What changes were made in the latest atr and xex, so I know what to look for, and of course will satisfy curiosity to know the changes.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

@_The Doctor__ I off flicker, and add one "sta wsync" (so that rapidus works well). Now I see bug on "real" atari, when I push fire sometime bottom panel flashes. I don't see it on Altirra and Atari800Win.

this generate bug (in dli interrupt)

pha
lda #0
sta wsync
sta colpf1
lda #$0f
sta colpf2

and this is ok

pha
sta wsync
lda #0
sta colpf1