IGNORED

Limbo game

Here's the same hi-res screen using a diffusion dither. Not as many perceived

levels of gray, I think. Also, artifacting will not look good at all, on either NTSC

or PAL, since the diffusion dither produces inconsistent dot spacing; but, overall,

the gray levels transition smoother here.

[Graph2Font & XEX included]

Limbo bw - diffusion.zip

post-6369-0-47052900-1544059452_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 4

Have you ever realized that most of your entries point so something like trolling?

I see, you're a subscriber. I wonder, if you only "subscribe" to get a right for trolling?

Of Course , I'd also like to see a game, using gr. 9 that way. But people want to have that "hires" touch. And this time I'm on that point (given by the Atari's specs) that it is possible to have a well rendition of this game , if PMg is used well, underlaying Antic F.

But you guys only live in your own pre-rolled world, as it seems.

Most of my posts point to trolling? You have serious mental issues. I never shit on other people's works. Never say things are not possible. When pushed, I'll provide code. You do absolutely nothing, contribute no code, no examples, and do nothing but discourage people. Just piss off.

• Like 1

Guys, please dont fight on my thread, everyone is welcome and entitled for an opinion as long as it with respect for the others.

If you cant help it then as the bouncer in the club says: please take it outside (if this thread)....

Thank you

I'd add to that. But every time I write something, they get personal.

From the point that I know what the machine could do, I presume something can be done and something can not be done.

Not sure about their real life problems.

I'd add to that. But every time I write something, they get personal.

From the point that I know what the machine could do, I presume something can be done and something can not be done.

Not sure about their real life problems.

Emphasis mine. The hypocrisy is strong with this one.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

By the looks the C64 version is using sprites to achieve the layered scrolling. Not to forget, priorities in hires don't allow PMG to overlay without the PF1 luma altering the graphics.

Yes, hi-res would be out, if the idea would be to use P/M's for achieving the foreground tree parallax.

G2F is a real horrible task for editing hires.

But here is some concept for programming possibilities.

And, if you're not really interested in what the Atari could do, please go ahead... ;)

post-2756-0-75876000-1544261363.gif

Let's check details of this "short" edit of about 4h....

1. The main screen stays full in high res.

2. this time just 7 DLIS have been used, allowing a parallax effect for up to 6 layers depth.

3. Done this way, there is no active masking needed. The Spider elements could move without any bit calculations.

Remember. The C64 version eventually has more details, but there is no depth scrolling.

4. THIS IS A MOCKUP, but it technically is possible with a very low CPU usage.

5. Hires has an other good part in it. By the smaller pixels, less bytes have to be moved.

6. As there is a lot CPU "power" open, there might be enough CPU time, to do midline changes in several ranges.

7. The shadows on the trees also can be done with PMg

8. The degree of visual details is depending on the action on the particular range of a level.

It's all in the design.

9. And, yes, you still can have some different colored objects. You know PMg is there ;)

Edited by emkay
  • Like 3

PMG for the further away backbround stuff is an interesting idea.

But not forgetting, the game needs to scroll as well.

But the overall game itself - I've played it as well as Inside from start to finish including secret objects and levels probably over 10 times each so know them both really well.

They are very arty games, the monochrome of Limbo and highly desaturated colour of Inside as well as the sounds help generate the atmosphere.

But both games are very much scripted and "on rails". I feel that as demakes on 8-bit platforms they'd suffer and probably have poor replay value.

Edited by Rybags

Where's the problem ? The PMg is only to adjust in the DLIs for X positions.

expanded players and missiles cover the screen at quad width ((8+2) * 4 * 4) = 160 double width = 320 pixels

so if it is scrolled by adjusting the X positions, nothing is free to 'bring in' the new data

the compromise would have to be narrowing the width of the displayed area

yet there is still the issue that each controllable PM pixel is 8 hi-res pixels so they can't be clipped on the right and left edges of the display

how do you propose this is handled?

Edited by Wrathchild

expanded players and missiles cover the screen at quad width ((8+2) * 4 * 4) = 160 double width = 320 pixels

so if it is scrolled by adjusting the X positions, nothing is free to 'bring in' the new data

the compromise would have to be narrowing the width of the displayed area

yet there is still the issue that each controllable PM pixel is 8 hi-res pixels so they can't be clipped on the right and left edges of the display

how do you propose this is handled?

For the "waving" background, you don't need to put all PM in a scanline. It is sufficient to add a DLI for the background color ans to do the waving for the needed height .

The Screenshot uses 2 Players and the 4 missiles for the effect. This leaves the 1 Player for the "eyes" and the 2nd player for the "vertical" bar.