IGNORED

Limbo game

Masking can be done using PF so I think it is more a case of how many 8 pixel blocks you need to use on each side. As the single player span is 8 * 4 * 2 = 64 pixels, that is 32 each side so 4 bytes.

So although that fits well with narrow width, the border won't mask the PMs and so sticking with normal width playfield and letting that mask the PMs would seem better, so the 'visible' area would be limited to the 256 pixels.

Emkay's approach to selective modify each depth-banding split using fewer PMs has merit.

My personal preference is for the style in post #38 and might try and make a video to see how that could work in practice.

• Like 1

Hey, R0ger? It's not a C64.

Sure, but you don't want the Atari version to be worse, right ? Or maybe you don't meet many C64 guys

I do, so it better be good, or it does not exist at all :-D

PS. not that I think this will result in anything but few nice mock-ups.

C64 version background indeed doesn't look too hot. But it's not finished either. And it has hires player, enemies, and it's all buttery smooth.

Some compromises had to be made for the huge maps. The backgrounds are clearly char based, and unless you want huge cartridge, they should be on Atari too. Still the dithering method used by MrFish is way better. And we could use inversion to get 1 more shade out of it. That would be especially easy if the background were char based.

C64 version background indeed doesn't look too hot. But it's not finished either. And it has hires player, enemies, and it's all buttery smooth.

No, the spider and other objects are in 160 mode (maybe you meant just the player is hi-res, idk).

Of course the nice animations are better than screen shots on the Atari. What's the sense of even making a comparison like

that, when people are just at the point of trying to get an idea of how things could be approached and look like?

Edited by MrFish

Some compromises had to be made for the huge maps. The backgrounds are clearly char based, and unless you want huge cartridge, they should be on Atari too. Still the dithering method used by MrFish is way better. And we could use inversion to get 1 more shade out of it. That would be especially easy if the background were char based.

Yes, it's surely using chars and thus limited in it's dithering pattern combinations.

In my mind, the point for doing the Atari version differently, would be that without a hi-res sprite, you make up for things in some other respect.

• Like 1

What's better here? The only thing I see is the sprite.

The background on the C64 version doesn't look so hot.

It looks like someone wanted to cause eye cancer ;)

The game on the C64 lives (again) by the hi res touch and the smooth animations.

Transitions only look good on small screens.

And, as I showed, there is no problem to save the "hires" for the game, and there are 8 brightness values to drop transitions wherever possible.

If G2F was more hires friendly, I'd showed the image above in hires... , only the tree shadows would need some transitions...

Neglecting any animation frames that would be overlaid on the backgrounds, I've captured this video within Altirra to give a rough idea of what the 4 colour dithering might look like in reality. Banding limits I feel can be improved (e.g. I could liaise with MrFish for ideas) but this also highlights that in the actual game the main character is not always the same size as the scenes zoom in and out.

• Like 8

Friends, the true issue is not really graphics, but the huge effort required to code all the game logic, unless it could be somehow ported from C64 by our porting wizards. It's the same story as with the Sam's Journey - a better game is feasible on our machines, but we have less manpower to spend ~10 man years building such a game.

What I can see as doable is a (single) screen playable demo, same as with Prince of Persia (for which we do have neatly formatted source code and stuff). Full game - when we hit pensions (ha ha ha).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with Pirx. As always people discuss mockups while this is the least important thing to have a full game. Guys, play Limbo if you didn't and think how you are going to address all the physics related puzzles that make the game.

Ofcourse the game looks rather "primitive" but there is a huge complexity during gameplay. That's why playing from a Cart is recommended at all.

If someone gives the "hires" version a chance, the game could be build fully on the "black" level that is the game in design and function. The PMg in the background could run independent, just adding depth by some DLIs that never hit the scrolling of the playfield.

The "physics" can be build with triggering... no floating point calculations needed there.

As always people discuss mockups while this is the least important thing to have a full game. Guys, play Limbo if you didn't and think how you are going to address all the physics related puzzles that make the game.

I would have agreed with you completely...until I saw it done on a C64. What better proof-of-concept could there be than this?

Well the C64 version is just slightly more than the mockups here.

Well I would call it a full first level demo ?

I like it, wish them lot's of luck in completing it. Doesn't have to be full 1:1 copy of original. Just add ten levels like first part. Choose best, most doable puzzles, levels and code that.