IGNORED

UA Limited Protos Released!

Albert

That was pretty quick, glad to hear they arrived safely!  Have you tried playing them on a PAL television yet?

A PAL TV? No. If they have NTSC frame rates then they'll only roll on my PAL-only TV. But I'll give them a go an report back.

Okay, as expected, when playing the game on my PAL what's-this-NTSC-thing-you-keep-mentioning? TV it rolls. It is in colour though and obviously works aside from the rolling.

...Funky Fish rolls sadly...

:idea: I (always) suggest using a VCR tuner then.

This makes no difference as the VCR can't adjust the frame rate. If you have a TV that can almost sync I guess the VCR might stabilise a dodgy 60Hz.

Tried it... still rolls sadly :(

What does the manual of your VCR say? Does it support NTSC?

AFAIK by far the most PAL-VCRs support NTSC. So if yours doesn't you should try to get a cheap broken VCR on a fleamarket. The tuner should work of course.

My TV loves NTSC, just not through RF. In fact 99% of all PAL TVs can't handle NTSC through RF.

As for handling NTSC, I actually think my VCR doesn't. I recall trying to play a US tape on it and it not liking it, and had to watch it downstairs. Will check over the weekend...

Hi there!

Hi there!

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Now that brings some memories back! It's the solution to a riddle in The Bard's Tale, right? :)

Yep ;)

The scary thing about the Bards Tale is, that after all these years I still have all those spells memorized:

ARFI = Arctic Fire

STTO = Stone Touch

MYSH = Mystical Shield

YMCA = Ybarras Mystical Coat of Armor

Strange, eh? :ponder:

Greetings,

Manuel

Now that does take me back! Get inside the castle & repeat DEST....

What surprises me is that I have an old(ish) PAL TV set that will happily display NTSC DVD's in perfect colour but still can't display my NTSC carts in their correct colours. Is this just Atari bizarreness again, ie not just a hardware issue?

My TV loves NTSC, just not through RF. In fact 99% of all PAL TVs can't handle NTSC through RF.

How about: PAL TV's so old as to only have an RF in and no other inputs typically can't sync to 60Hz.

Any TV sold in a PAL region and advertised as NTSC compatible will accept the signal from any input.

Strange then that the brand new spanking 32" TV downstairs can't do it either, yet it is perfectly 100% NTSC compatible through all the other connections. I tried connecting my Commodore MAX (Japanese C64) to it through RF and couldn't get any picture out of it from tuning. In fact no TV I've ever had has been able to do NTSC through RF and only one person I know in PAL land (baring yourself) has got a TV that will do it.

I'm not sure which person you are thinking off, but my small Aiwa TV-SE1430 works fine with my NTSC 2600 and 7800 through RF. It only works with the video though. I had to adjust the inductors in both consoles to get audio.

Also most other PAL TV's, I tried, would usually play NTSC 2600 games on a PAL VCS fine (except for the colours). There are only some NTSC 2600 games were the synchronisation routine isn't programmed properly that would roll when played on one of the very last 2600 JRs.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Archived