IGNORED

Z26 2.09 released!

Greg Zumwalt

I've posted the 512KB ROM used for testing the new Tigervision 3F extension to the [stella] mailing list. It's pretty cool - an Interleaved Chronocolour title screen and colour dancing babys... guess what size ROM FuKung! will be :)

Thanks to the Z26 guys for supporting this so quickly, btw.

Cheers

A

I'd say 512k since the color dancing baby pic is like 32k by itself. Of course, it's a demo and the game most likely wouldn't feature that many frames of animation per characture. I believe someone said it was 70 something frames, correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, how do I get the color pic demos to work? I haven't gotten anything but static and a bunch of grey and orange bars with the versions I played. And yes, I've got both 2.08 and now 2.09. Is there something special I gotta do to make it run the demo? I've got XP, so editing through dos is out of the question.

I'd say 512k since the color dancing baby pic is like 32k by itself.  Of course, it's a demo and the game most likely wouldn't feature that many frames of animation per characture.  I believe someone said it was 70 something frames, correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, how do I get the color pic demos to work?  I haven't gotten anything but static and a bunch of grey and orange bars with the versions I played.  And yes, I've got both 2.08 and now 2.09.  Is there something special I gotta do to make it run the demo?  I've got XP, so editing through dos is out of the question.

I use XP too. Open a command-line (DOS) window (Start/Run... and then type cmd). Now navigate (the way you do with DOS) to where Z26 is. Type (without the quotes) "z26 -g11 -f99 FuKung.bin" - replacing the FuKung.bin with whatever file you're trying. the "-g11" is the switch which tells Z26 the binary you are loading is a 3F-style bankswitcher. You simply can't run/view it without passing that switch. An alternate is to setup a batch file to do the same call. But ultimately, you're doing the above.

As for frames, FuKung may very well have 200+ frames. We shall see. And the colour bitmaps only cost about 2K each.

Well, all I've managed to get from it is.

'z26' is not recognized as an internal or external command/ operable program or batch file.

Why can't this be some easy menue drivven thingy? Apparently, although XP can see z26 on the A drive, the dos program can't :

'z26' is not recognized as an internal or external command/ operable program or batch file.

Why can't this be some easy menue drivven thingy?  Apparently, although XP can see z26 on the A drive, the dos program can't :

Check your paths.

And if you link the extension (.bin) with z26.exe you can simply double-click any game you want to play.

The problem with that is that more types of roms use the .bin extension

(Vectrex, Genesis, etc.). A better way is by using a right-click menu for

the .bin file type so you can choose which emulator to use (and if any run

time options are required).

post-222-1055850615_thumb.jpg

Why can't this be some easy menue drivven thingy?  Apparently, although XP can see z26 on the A drive, the dos program can't :

That just means you're not on the directory where Z26.exe is!

So Z26.exe is on your A: drive? Is that where YOU'RE at? If it's at the root of your A: drive simply type "A:" (without the quotes) and voila.. you're at the A: drive.

Or for example, if it's in the path c:games2600Z26 then you have to be there too. There's lots of ways to get there but in simple broken down commands

type

C: **to get to c: drive

cd games ** to get to games folder

cd 2600 ** to get to 2600 folder

cd z26 ** to get to z26 folder

...or you can just type cd c:games2600z26 :P Doesn't matter really. Basically the bottom line is you have to make sure you're in the same folder as Z26 before you can type in the command line.

Can I air a personal gripe about Z26? There's absolutely no reason this emulator should be without a built-in frontend. If the DOS version had a custom-designed interface, the very, very least the designers could add to the Windows version is give the user a file select window when the program is first started. As it is now, the newest version of Z26 is so user-unfriendly that I barely use it.

JR

This is the frontend I use...

atari_frontend.jpg

I have it set up with cart scans, end labels, box scans (front and rear), screenshots and instruction scans (you can even flip thru the insctruction booklet page by page). I've edited tons of pixellated images and re-drawn lots of acti-plaqued labels for this, it's a long term project for me, and I'm almost done with it.

It's called Emu-Loader if you don't already recognise it ;) I like it a lot, but it takes some time to set up. It is primarily a MAME frontend but it has a "Custom Game Manager" (shown in pic) that allows you to use virtually any program that uses a cmd line.

I'm working on adding 5200 and 7800 games by way of MESS. Already have a few of my favorites done :)

Stein

Can I air a personal gripe about Z26?  There's absolutely no reason this emulator should be without a built-in frontend.

IMHO, I see no reason for it to have a front end. If you just associate .bin files with it and set up a few right click commands, Windows Explorer becomes a better front end than the DOS version of Z26 had. Z26 is the only emulator I use because it's the most accurate and has so many cool features.

-Paul

Archived