IGNORED

A Poll about doing an OutRun for A8...

José Pereira

About doing an OutRun for A8...  

87 members have voted

1. 1. If is more simple and a possible way to have it then would you consider a 'dirty' and 'quicker' version similar to C64 with all wide single colour with no sides own colour (like grass, water) but still gfxs (trees, rocks, signs, buildin...

• Yes, is better than having nothing
    • No, it needs to have the sides floor
    • Make it without the sides floor colour by now maybe it'll help for a future version with it
    • Any of the two is good for me
    • Don't do it because an A8 version will never be good and similar to the arcade version
    • I don't have any opinion

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Looks great so far from the video. Few observations which may already be planned. 

Would be great to have engine sounds and tyre screeches when turning. Some synth music sounds effects in the music tracks would be amazing. Some of Vinscool's synth sound tracks and instrument effects (and some as shown in the A8 version of the  Battle squadron title track), would be cool. 

I love the palm trees and roadside signs. Will there be chevron arrows also? 

The Outrun menu screens are great. You could perhaps get more colour in them with DLIs perhaps. The title screen could be done with G2f, Piccalo or Rasta converter so a higher res. 

Can't wait to see the game. Well done again. 😁

Finally will the horizon move up and down to simulate hills and will there be tunnels? Elextraglide did tunnels well. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

On 8/18/2022 at 8:09 AM, Kjmann said:

Here's what we did so far. if anyone is interested, I have the source code.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrxjpjND4YY

OutRun.wip.zip 108.64 kB · 39 downloads

Waaooow, waoow and infintes waoows ! Sincerely my sincere congrats. At the moment a better 8 bits looking version of this game that is really close to the 16 bits versions. Awesome !

• Like 1

What would be amazing is a top layer horizon which changed and panned left to right as you moved.  One which also moved up and down to simulate going up and down hills. 

So for the changing background I mean this graphics mode top screen only that the excellent Far Away (Agenda)  demo shows.  Amazing effect. Shows transistion from night to day,  etc. Beautiful use of colours and plays to the atari's strengths. 

image.png.93c68f3ba4cf4415576360e7c22f5988.png

• Like 1

I will help anyway I can to get this one finished.  After a coder or two and I get it done,  i would like to release it for free ans see if al wants to offer a nice cart version and package to sell in the store for the collectors. Any one is welcome to pitch in on this.  I will post the source code if yall want it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Music wise, may be good to use the SMS vetsion as a reference ... music will need to be 3 channels though unless we can figure how to have sound fx over a playing channel

Wouldn't it be possible to mute channel one and play a sound effect, then start the channel again? 

Or how about using some digital sounds the way we did in tempest xtreem?

For any car game like this, I would use lots of character set graphics shapes simply only in the foreground black colour.  Background colour can still be black also.  You should optimise routines for drawing character graphic rectangles of different heights, as the trees should be much taller and narrower like the original like they are above the horizon.  The trees should also look more like they are alternating left and right.

With any black outlines (in the foreground), you can experiment with PMG rectangles in double or quadruple width in various places as underlays (with the correct GPRIOR setting = 4, so that the colour shines through.  Don't even blend the character graphics in as masks to make good progress, since at speed it will look fine.  Have a look at the later title Turbocharge for the C64 and see if you can see much evidence of blending in.  You could always have two versions of the tree tops, one over white and one over blue and these could be distanced by just one bit in the character set (eg. bit 7, so it could be EOR'd in). 

This might be controversial but I would also add ideally IMHO do not go down the Pole position look route. Pole position is iconic but given we know the Atari 8 bit can do so much better graphically these days, (eg the Prince of Persia, (PoP), port could have opted to be a lot simpler and I am so glad it didn't hold back),  I'd say really showcase this racing game if at all possible.  The gameplay and fast frenetic speed of Outrun is very important,  but IMHO the graphics and game mechanics can be pushed to the limit also.

A8 PoP is one of the best versions of the game out there and there are so many on the game and demo coding scene who know tips and tricks to pull some amazing effects into such a game as Outrun.  Games like Atariblast!,  the Last Squadron,  Albert,  Space Harrier and Flob show off just what is capable on the A8 where gameplay is fantastic and so are the visual and game mechanics side plus music. 

Within the limits of the A8 it would be great to see great music,  maxed out Dli colours,  left and right panning and perhaps even parallax scrolling and the up and down movement for the horizon graphics and also tunnel effects,  and also the aforementioned effect from the Faraway demo I mentioned yesterday pulled in to such a game.  (Again within the available cpu cycles,  etc). 

I realise it is so easy for a non coding Atarian like myself to state all these things.  But I believe if you are gonna go to the effort of coding a port of a classic game which has been on other platforms,  push it to the max.  (Case in point PoP). 

Whatever emerges as a port I am very grateful of course.  

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1