IGNORED

Atari Karts - No Audio

BitJag

I have a Jag with 'something' wrong with it (or, as ZeroSquare put it "Extra Wonky")

It'll boot when it wants, and run for a bit, then do odd things. Like no audio, or too much audio. One thing it will never do, however, is boot BurnOut. It hates that cart, never even clears the BIOS ;)

I suspect the DSP is gone on it.

• Like 2

Another thing worth checking.. have you checked the system with another cart that has sound? I am thinking the fault MAY be the actual Audio hookup to the TV (or the TV :) ). I have had SCART plugs partially come out which has left the picture working perfectly but one audio channel vanishing. Depending on what you are using cable wise might be worth checking too. Perhaps check the AV connector on the back of the Jag, make sure it is nice and happy and that the cable is well seated there too. Or if you have an RF enabled (never thought I'd refer to RF as "enabled" :D ) perhaps try tuning that in and see if the audio is present there?

• Like 3

Another thing worth checking.. have you checked the system with another cart that has sound? I am thinking the fault MAY be the actual Audio hookup to the TV (or the TV :) ). I have had SCART plugs partially come out which has left the picture working perfectly but one audio channel vanishing. Depending on what you are using cable wise might be worth checking too. Perhaps check the AV connector on the back of the Jag, make sure it is nice and happy and that the cable is well seated there too. Or if you have an RF enabled (never thought I'd refer to RF as "enabled" :D ) perhaps try tuning that in and see if the audio is present there?

I have tried a few other games on the same console, they all seem to be working fine, all have good audio. It's just Atari Karts that seems to be having an issue on my main console.

I just tried the same copy of Atari Karts on another console, and the audio is working great. There is something wrong with my main console, and nothing wrong with my copy of Atari Karts thank goodness. This is the first time I have ever had a Jag console start to go out on me. I will take it to a friend that can do some basic testing on the board, but it sounds like I will just have to use another console to enjoy the full glory that Atari Karts has to offer.

Thanks again for all the help, and if anyone has any tips for testing my Jags motherboard for a highly specific audio issue that doesn't seem to effect other games, please share.

Man I love this console :D

• Like 1

I have had a few audio issues as well. I first noticed it on my AVP cartridge a while back. The sound disappeared after a game over. I think there may have been a graphics glitch flicker and then went back to normal but with no sound. Also I was playing power drive the other day and the same thing happened. Loss of audio after a race or a game over (trying to remember which it was) and a graphics glitch flicker and then back to normal but with no sound. Also the eeprom was a bit iffy and took a couple of tries to load but saved every time. My power drive and AVP cartridges are probably in the worst condition of all my carts and I assumed it was perhaps a dodgy read or something but after reading this thread I am worried that there may be something amiss with my console. When I lived with a friend years ago in the early nineties he had an Atari Falcon. The DSP chip was forever having problems. Too long on or getting too warm and it would crash or behave strangely. I think the Motorola DSP is a bit delicate and seems to not always quite do exactly what you are expecting. This maybe what the problem is with me. It is interesting that the cartridge is bit checked before running but not with a BJL bios. I bought my Jaguar from Amazon about four and a bit years ago and is in excellent condition. Only problem is red screen on boot sometimes (switch off, reseat and try again until success). I just assumed my problems were related to the flakey DSP again. Always seems to work when you switch off the Jaguar and reboot so I just put up with it as one of those things. Life isn't perfect and can't be predicted to work okay all the time.

By the way. How do you check a Jaguar to see if the bios has been altered to BJL or other?

While I am thinking about it. In the early nineties when the Jaguar was first released I have a great memory of going into the local Virgin megastore where I lived (same place as Atari UK headquarters). On the upstairs floor there were rows and rows and rows and rows (a lot) of resplendant Atari Jaguars on display. Good grief, what a sight. And they say the jaguar was not popular! There was a tube transport system in the ceiling with cash from the tills whizzing around. What a sound.

Unfortunately, it took be nearly twenty years until I could actually get to experience the jaguar for real!