IGNORED

What is the most compatible 800 Replacement OS?

Larry

MyBIOS isn't 100%, but I think they have patched versions of the few that don't work still on the Atarimax forum you can download, I would hazard a guess that you find a patched version of Shadow World there. But if it loads and you can play the first wave, that may not be a 400/800 OS incompatibility issue, that's actually leads me to believe it's a corrupted file or disk/ATR you are using. Have you tried downloading Shadow world from more than one download site to see if another file/ATR of it will work?

Thanks for the information.

I was trying my original disk from the 80's actually. It has the same issue on a 130XE.

But I also downloaded a few ATR versions, and XEX versions. I am seeing this behavior with all of them, and even on emulation in 130XE or 800XL mode.

If I load it on my 800 it is fine.

And same if I load it in emulation in 800 OSA or OSB mode.

And if I load a translator first, then it works fine on the 130XE and 800XL (on real hardware and on emulation).

Could be an example of a game that doesn't play nice with MyBIOS I guess. I'll look to see if I can find a patched version that does.

-Eric

• Like 1

I have never used MyBIOS before tonight but decided to give it a try because of this thread. So far it seems very interesting, although the start-up screen might take some time to get my head around. I am going to have to put it through some more tests later but I did find that I was unable to run the OSa dependent "Ghost Hunter" and the OSb "Bandits". "Bandits" gives a lot of OSs and Translator programs trouble though; it's one that I usually do testing with. I will try to take a look at "Shadow World" tomorrow.

Can you zip and pm me the non working files/disks?

I have a unreleased #5 in my work-in-progress I would like to try.

That fixes some OSa/b issues already.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

Can you zip and pm me the non working files/disks?

I have a unreleased #5 in my work-in-progress I would like to try.

That fixes some OSa/b issues already.

Grtz,

Sijmen.

Here are the Shadow World files I have been using when I see this behavior, both with the ATR and the XEX.

And remember, it seems to work fine until you clear the first wave. Then it immediately freezes and gets garbage on the screen.

This is when running on XL/XE. It works fine on 800 OSA and OSB. And it works fine if you load a translator first.

Running with MyBIOS, also get the garbage/freeze behavior after clearing wave 1.

-Eric

Shadow World.rar

I'd go with Omniview 6 (256K)

That's what I was thinking, as I want the one that supports the most extended memory. But does Omniview XE support more than 128K (assuming it supports at least a 64K ramdisk). But that's a "just in case" scenario anyway and I want the one that works the best. Because I can set my extended memory up to be used how I want in SpartaDOS X anyway. And even the hi-speed SIO OS's aren't needed when I can set every drive or virtual drive or HD partition to use it's maximum capable speed too with Sparta. But the 25% of the time I'm not using SpartaDOS I revert back to high-speed SIO OS's or 80 column OS's.

Edited by Gunstar

Here are the Shadow World files I have been using when I see this behavior, both with the ATR and the XEX.

And remember, it seems to work fine until you clear the first wave. Then it immediately freezes and gets garbage on the screen.

This is when running on XL/XE. It works fine on 800 OSA and OSB. And it works fine if you load a translator first.

Running with MyBIOS, also get the garbage/freeze behavior after clearing wave 1.

-Eric

Ok, is there a way to short-cut to finish wave 1?

I am testing at the moment, but I have no clue how to end the first wave.....

MyBIOS #5 starts the game, but that seems to be normal as all BIOS-versions do.

Edited by mr-atari

Ok, is there a way to short-cut to finish wave 1?

I am testing at the moment, but I have no clue how to end the first wave.....

MyBIOS #5 starts the game, but that seems to be normal as all BIOS-versions do.

Wave 1 is super easy. You just have to kill two of the alien pod diamonds by shooting out the blue center of each of them.

Ok, yes that is an easy level ;-)

Never played this, so it was new to me.

The game checks $FFF8, one of the "original"-6502 vectors.

If that is not OSA/B it locks.

Seems that 1200XL-OS_rev10 works too.

I removed this check, seems to work, on any BIOS.

Can you have a check too?

But I will try to change this byte in MyBIOS, so it's cloaked to be OSA ;-)

Grtz,

Sijmen.

Shadow World-OS_PATCH.atr

Edited by mr-atari
  • Like 4