IGNORED

Best way to enjoy games on a real 8-bit?

Albert

A SIO2SD will do largely what the SIO2PC can but it's an independent device so you're not tethered to a PC. It's largely just drag-and-drop to the SD card so it shouldn't matter about Mac vs PC. I have a number of modern input devices for my XL but I use the SIO2SD the most. It is an invaluable tool that I wouldn't want to be without.

I also own both a UNO Cart and an Ultimate Cartridge. Both are fantastic and easier to use than the various older AtariMax flash cartridges; no software to bother with, again just drag-and-drop.

I am also a big fan of the Ultimate 1MB upgrade. I use it aa much for easily switchable alternate Operating Systems as I do for the extra RAM options that it can provide.

Except for maybe when I was 15 years old, I have never gotten more enjoyment from my XL than I do now because of all of the addition of all these modern devices.

This thread: Your Main A8 Display & Why?

...has some good information about various display choices.

I'm using a JVC BM-H1300SU - 13" CRT Studio Monitor. Mid-sized model with a great picture and features, including NTSC/PAL.

A lot of other people go with the TM series, as you'll notice in that thread.

The JVC's tend to go for a reasonable price, and you can often get a super deal on them. I paid $5 for mine on Ebay (new in opened box) + $35 shipping (from Florida to California), back in 2011. You probably won't be that lucky, but I've seen quite a few for $50 - $75 and less.

Here's what you get on the front and back of the BM-H1300SU (click for closer view):

post-6369-0-73557000-1548195552_thumb.png

post-6369-0-03325200-1548195564_thumb.png

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

Yeah, I've always been eyeing the smaller ones, but a larger one would be nice as well. Mainly I've wanted one to test PAL games on a few different systems (2600, 7800, Jaguar), but I see that it would be useful to play PAL demos and games for the 8-bit that do not exist in NTSC form. So I'll have to have a look around. :)

..Al

I have a 14" Sony PVM as well as a 20" Sony PVM. The 20" has better resolution (lucky me - both were gifts from the wife). They are both fantastic screens. Each, having 2 composite, s-video, and RGB inputs. They are PAL, SECAM, NTSC compatible. I would not recommend the 20" version for traveling, that beast must clock in close to 100 pounds. My only complaint about these PVMs is the built in speaker (single, mono) it utter shite. So be prepared to use external speakers with one. Not an issue for me, as I usually have my gear connected to a large receiver going to full size speakers.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to update the SIDE2 firmware. There was a CF/SD adapter recommended above, but if you want to point me to others, that would be great. Definitely will buy one.

..Al

I got one of these early enough that it supported SD, but not SDHC cards. Now there's SDXC, so try to ensure it's compatible with the generation of SD card you plan to use:

SD - up to 2GB (usually preformatted FAT)

SDHC - up to 32GB (usually preformatted FAT32)

SDXC - up to 2TB (usually preformatted exFAT)

Hello BoatofCar

Am I understanding correctly that a SIO2USB solution will be more accepting of file formats, the only downside is being tethered to a PC?

So to be a pain in the lower back, but this is the only SIO2USB solution there is:

post-5489-1193740178.jpg

You're probably confusing SIO2PCviaUSB with SIO2USB.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 3

I got one of these early enough that it supported SD, but not SDHC cards. Now there's SDXC, so try to ensure it's compatible with the generation of SD card you plan to use:

SD - up to 2GB (usually preformatted FAT)

SDHC - up to 32GB (usually preformatted FAT32)

SDXC - up to 2TB (usually preformatted exFAT)

Well, now we're talking! 2TB should be more than enough space! ;)

Hello Albert

What's the best way to play games on a real Atari 8-bit computer?

Like this:

Playing%20Midi%20Maze.JPG

like this:

NOMAM%202018.JPG

or like this:

Inside%20the%20building.jpg

I can tell from experience that this is the best way.

Sincerely

Mathy

PS Top: We are trying to play MIDI Maze at the Fujiama 2013. Unfortunately, the ST wouldn't play nice in the network, so the network consisted of 8 XLs and XEs.

Middle: NOMAM (no, not No Ma'am!)

Bottom: H.A.T.Z.

BTW the Fujiama 2019 will last a whole week, from August 26th until September 1st.

• Like 3

Hello SS

What is this thing? Is it basically the same as a SIO2SD but using a USB Flash Drive instead of a SD card?

Yes. And after all those years, the developers are still supporting it.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

I have a 14" Sony PVM as well as a 20" Sony PVM. The 20" has better resolution (lucky me - both were gifts from the wife). They are both fantastic screens. Each, having 2 composite, s-video, and RGB inputs. They are PAL, SECAM, NTSC compatible. I would not recommend the 20" version for traveling, that beast must clock in close to 100 pounds. My only complaint about these PVMs is the built in speaker (single, mono) it utter shite. So be prepared to use external speakers with one. Not an issue for me, as I usually have my gear connected to a large receiver going to full size speakers.

Yeah, I have a receiver and full-size speakers I'd use with this setup, so I'm less concerned about the monitor's internal speaker(s). While a 20" PVM would be nice, I see they are going for quite a bit, plus shipping is ridiculous. I'll probably just pick up a 13" or 14" monitor (one that supports PAL and NTSC), and keep my eyes open for a larger monitor (especially locally!)

..Al

IMO there is no need to break the bank for a PVM because a decent consumer set with S-Video will have fantastic quality already, the difference between it and a PVM is not worth the heavy bucks asked these days. It also allows you to go really big, say 27-32". I'd say that even composite is acceptable, some games used its inherent dithering to great effect and could in fact look "better" than on a much sharper input.

The problem in USA might be PAL though, in Europe most later sets could display both in PAL/NTSC, not sure if it's the same for North American TVs.

I just purchased a JVC TM-A13SU on eBay, as I've needed a display that supports PAL for a while now. If it works well, I'll probably buy a few more. Will also keep my eyes open for a larger Sony 20" PVM.

I'd have bought one too, if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on the BM-H1300SU. They (TM's) have the advantage of a P-22 phosphor tube

(more saturation) and lighter weight (and shorter depth) design. If you like C-1702's you should be happy.

Edited by MrFish

I haven't read through this whole thread, so I'm not certain others have been suggesting. But having just recently pulled my 800XL out of the attic after about thirty years of exile, I'm really enjoying playing around with mine and showing my wife some of the things that kept me busy between classes and out of trouble on a lot of weekends during college.

I've purchased AtariMax's SIO2PC-USB and registered the APE/ProSystem software and I just purchased an original 1050 Happy drive. That has me going for now. Over the next six months or so I plan to purchase one of Lotharek's SIO2SD devices and an Ultimate Cartridge SD Card. Later this year I'll probably purchase a Sophia rev.C - DVI board for improved video compatibility with newer displays and a much cleaner, beautiful picture.

Take any of the things that I've done, the hardware and software that I've mentioned, and you could be setup to run just about any software ever put out for the 8-bit line. For me, that'll probably be the extent of my 8-bit spending. There are a lot of cool upgrades for the 8-bits and the 1088XEL project looks freakin' awesome, but it's a little too much for my blood and I'd probably never do more with it than play the same games I can play on my 800XL setup. However, I'm really enjoying having my old friend back out and running again.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I finally setup and tested the JVC TM-A13SU I bought last month. The monitor is in good condition and the display looks great! Haven't played around with it too much, just wanted to make sure it actually works. Was fortunately packed very well.

jvc_monitor.jpg

I need a few more of these, as well as some proper PAL systems (2600, 7800, Jaguar) I can use them with. Would be nice if they had more inputs on the back.

..Al

• Like 10