IGNORED

Best way to enjoy games on a real 8-bit?

Albert

What's the advantage to running in PAL? Are there are quite a few games that only support PAL? I'd then need a proper monitor that can display PAL, something I was looking to do anyway for other reasons. Definitely need a RAM upgrade of some sort, if I'm going to stick with the 800XL (my first computer was an 800XL, so I'm a bit keen on them--I upgraded that one to 256K back in the day). And absolutely will get S-Video output one way or another. :)

..Al

Yeah theres a bunch of games released in the UK and Europe in the late 80's and up to now that only work in PAL, it's more common the newer the games get. Loads of PAL only demos too.

The 800XL was my first computer too so I have a fondness for it, the keyboard is much better than the 130XE which is why I said an 800XL and memory upgrade over the 130XE.

I'm feeling frustrated with the lack of compatibility with my MyIDE II CF cart. Am I understanding correctly that a SIO2USB solution will be more accepting of file formats, the only downside is being tethered to a PC?

It cannot load rom or car files, which are fairly common, but these often also have an xex version. The Ultimate Cart only loads car and xex files but there are shareware rom-to-car utilities out there. I don't know about converting rom and car to xex files, but there is a discussion here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/165142-car-to-atr-xex/

What's the advantage to running in PAL? Are there are quite a few games that only support PAL? I'd then need a proper monitor that can display PAL, something I was looking to do anyway for other reasons. Definitely need a RAM upgrade of some sort, if I'm going to stick with the 800XL (my first computer was an 800XL, so I'm a bit keen on them--I upgraded that one to 256K back in the day). And absolutely will get S-Video output one way or another. :)

..Al

There are a lot of PAL games out there, but there is a trick if your 1702 or PVM has vertical hold. Switch the ANTIC chip from NTSC to PAL and adjust the vertical hold to lock picture and now the PAL only games work...the trade-off is that it is slightly faster than on a PAL console/monitor and the colors may be off slightly. As mentioned earlier, LEVEL42 is working on the AntiX which allows you to have both NTSC and PAL ANTIC and switch between. Otherwise you have one 800XL with an NTSC ANTIC and another with a PAL ANTIC or a PAL 800XL with a multi-region TV.

• Like 1

Yeah theres a bunch of games released in the UK and Europe in the late 80's and up to now that only work in PAL, it's more common the newer the games get. Loads of PAL only demos too.

The 800XL was my first computer too so I have a fondness for it, the keyboard is much better than the 130XE which is why I said an 800XL and memory upgrade over the 130XE.

Yeah, I also much prefer the 800XL keyboard versus the mushy 130XE keyboards.

There are a lot of PAL games out there, but there is a trick if your 1702 or PVM has vertical hold. Switch the ANTIC chip from NTSC to PAL and adjust the vertical hold to lock picture and now the PAL only games work...the trade-off is that it is slightly faster than on a PAL console/monitor and the colors may be off slightly. As mentioned earlier, LEVEL42 is working on the AntiX which allows you to have both NTSC and PAL ANTIC and switch between. Otherwise you have one 800XL with an NTSC ANTIC and another with a PAL ANTIC or a PAL 800XL with a multi-region TV.

A switchable ANTIC would be really nice, but I'd be okay having a PAL-only 800XL. Is it possible to convert an NTSC 800XL to PAL? Obviously I'd need a PAL ANTIC, but I'm sure there are other changes. Yes, I can adjust the vertical hold on the 1702s to play PAL games (I do this when using a 2600), but I'd prefer the colors and timing to be correct.

..Al

Well, that sounds like it would be easier to just get a PAL 800XL. :D

Possibly so. :) I have an NTSC machine coming here shortly for a PAL conversion, nevertheless. Fortunately I have several dead PAL donor boards with most of the required parts. I'll probably live-stream it.

It has made me wonder why; Unless it's that importing a good 800XL of opposite NTSC/PAL standard or such plus a power supply for your locale is more expensive than converting a local 800XL, or you already own five and don't mind sacrificing one. Still, seems like it would be hard to come out much ahead or behind either way and just importing an 800XL of the opposite standard to have one of each would be simpler. I found buying a UK PAL 800XL is about 50% more than a U.S. NTSC 800XL.

The only gotcha with my suggested setup (PAL 800XL, Memory Upgrade, S-Video Upgrade, Ultimate Cart, optional Stereo upgrade) is the few games that are ATR only (the Ultimate will play CAR and XEX games, not ATR). You have a SiDE2 so you can load those from that, but it is an inconvenience, Alternate Reality is one of those ATR only games.

It has made me wonder why; Unless it's that importing a good 800XL of opposite NTSC/PAL standard or such plus a power supply for your locale is more expensive than converting a local 800XL, or you already own five and don't mind sacrificing one. Still, seems like it would be hard to come out much ahead or behind either way.

It's not for me. I guess someone in the UK got saddled with an NTSC 800XL and would rather pay for a few parts and an hour's work than go looking for another Atari. :)

I'm using a Sony PVM9041QM which can handle both PAL / NTSC and has vhold adjustment on the back, so that's always an option too if you can get one.

Yes, I've wanted to get a Sony PVM that supports PAL/NTSC for a while.. Haven't yet put in the effort to watch for them on eBay, but I need to do so.

..Al

I'm a big fan of S-Video, so I'd definitely like to have that as an option, both for the televisions and the Commodore 1702s. Composite is certainly better than RF, but S-Video is nicer still.

An SIO2USB and/or SIO2SD would be nice.. I don't mind using a cart solution (which I expect is fastest), but being able to connect to the computer would be nice, rather than having to futz with an SD or CF card every time you want to load new software that's not already on the card.

..Al

Just a stock 800XL at the moment. What are the advantages to upgrading?

I assume with SIO2PC I would only be able to use it with Windows? That would be more of a pain for me, since I predominantly use Macs. I have some PCs, as well as VMs that run Windows, but that's outside my normal work flow.

Thanks,

..Al

The Toshiba Flashair 3 WiFi SD card is Mac compatible. There is apparently an app you download for your Mac. I'm guessing it would work with the SDrive Max, then.

As far as SIO2PC for Mac, there was something as late as 2015 called SIO2Sx that was a Mac version of the SIO2PC software, but the registration site seems down, but you might be able to contact the guy who hosts the site. I can't comment on how good it is vs SIO2PC or SDrive-Max, for instance, if it can do ATX and XEX like the full registered AtariMax SIO2PC software (APE) can.

http://www.atarimac.com/sio2osx.php

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237530-sio2pc-program-for-powerpc-macs/

• Like 1

Yes, I've wanted to get a Sony PVM that supports PAL/NTSC for a while.. Haven't yet put in the effort to watch for them on eBay, but I need to do so.

..Al

I would probably have bought one, but it seems to be living on the edge to pay $500 for a 35 year old CRT that could go any day.

The Toshiba Flashair 3 WiFi SD card is Mac compatible. There is apparently an app you download for your Mac. I'm guessing it would work with the SDrive Max, then.

As far as SIO2PC for Mac, there was something as late as 2015 called SIO2Sx that was a Mac version of the SIO2PC software, but the registration site seems down, but you might be able to contact the guy who hosts the site. I can't comment on how good it is vs SIO2PC or SDrive-Max, for instance, if it can do ATX and XEX like the full registered AtariMax SIO2PC software (APE) can.

http://www.atarimac.com/sio2osx.php

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/237530-sio2pc-program-for-powerpc-macs/

Thanks for this information, much appreciated. :)

..Al

Yes the larger ones are too damn expensive. This one is 9” which still isn’t too bad.

Yeah, I've always been eyeing the smaller ones, but a larger one would be nice as well. Mainly I've wanted one to test PAL games on a few different systems (2600, 7800, Jaguar), but I see that it would be useful to play PAL demos and games for the 8-bit that do not exist in NTSC form. So I'll have to have a look around. :)

..Al