IGNORED

SD2SNES Pro

The save states that were added to the original SD2SNES are spotty at best. They don't work on special chip games. But I also couldn't save on the original Jelly Boy/Smart Ball for some reason.

It's like the Everdrive N8.... You cant save state Mike Tyson's punch out ? WTF ? Wish I knew that before I paid $68 for mine....

It's like the Everdrive N8.... You cant save state Mike Tyson's punch out ? WTF ? Wish I knew that before I paid $68 for mine....

If this is not sarcasm, keep in mind that you are talking about paying the price of one collectible CIB game for a (one of the lowest priced) flashcart which is on par with other NES flashcarts and it allows you to play 99.9% of the library without paying for the games.

I think Punch out is the only NES game to use a specific MMC (the one that allow to quicky animate the coach picture... yep, it's not a sprite, there is hardware to display that!)

So I wouldn't be surprised that there is a but with that specific MMC that was most likely overlooked because it affect ONE game (or maybe two?)

Edited by CatPix

I wasn't aware of any issues with the N8. I've had a decent experience so far.

There is a list of games that the real time save is not compatible on the N8, maybe about 20 or so games, not major but, one game I wanted to use it on was Mike Tyson's punch out, as when it starts to get harder, I wanted to save between rounds so I could start there....99% of the other games, it works fine (at least ones I play). It has a special chip or mapper in it that caused a problem with this feature.

I like it, as I pull apart every NES game I have an manually clean it so my system works like the day when it was brand new but, using the N8 saves a lot of wear on these carts..

Edited by TheCoolDave

Hm, I'll have to test my Power Pak (with the Power Mappers) on Punch-Out and see if it exhibits the same issue with using save states. I thought about switching over to a N8 eventually but it seems like it might not be worth doing. I do occasionally use save states for actually storing progress, but I tend to use it more for repeatedly practicing tough sections (like, I could see myself using it to practice the Tyson fight).

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly can't fathom buying it again already dropping a couple bills for the previous version on Stone Age Gamer. With the updates they've done to support SA-1 and Super FX over the last year or so, it can play 99.5% of the existing library, and the other 0.5% are games that are so obscure/Japanese that even I wouldn't play them. I know people are touting the save state option of the new version, but the only games I care about saving on are RPGs, and the current SD2SNES that I have already saves your RPG saves to the SD card.

• Like 1

Well the save state of the pro currently is no better than the original unit, and it may be stuck that way depending what can be worked out. If your read the interview with ikari basically the SNES audio chip works in a unique fashion that you can't just save state it. He would have to try and completely simulate the APU, get the permissions required to do as he wants for save states, and have that all execute in the limited space provided. But as it stands now, it's just as janky as it is on the original so it's not even for now a benefit yet. You're basically getting a hopeful better save state future and the ability to run SA1 games with MSU audio, and of course that one added Shogi game. I know I'm simplifying it, but it's marginal for most, unless you're a MSU and save state (gambling it works in the end) nut.

• Like 1

Well the save state of the pro currently is no better than the original unit, and it may be stuck that way depending what can be worked out. If your read the interview with ikari basically the SNES audio chip works in a unique fashion that you can't just save state it. He would have to try and completely simulate the APU, get the permissions required to do as he wants for save states, and have that all execute in the limited space provided. But as it stands now, it's just as janky as it is on the original so it's not even for now a benefit yet. You're basically getting a hopeful better save state future and the ability to run SA1 games with MSU audio, and of course that one added Shogi game. I know I'm simplifying it, but it's marginal for most, unless you're a MSU and save state (gambling it works in the end) nut.

So that's a definite NO for me. The SD2SNES I already have will do me just fine. :D

In the end I saved the $30 and just got a rev J (with micro SD slot) SD2SNES gen 1. Castlemania got them in and so with free shipping and no sales tax, the price was just perfect. I'm in it for the special chip games, and with the S-DD1 firmware, I've got 100% US emulation. And I don't even really like the SNES version of SFAlpha2. The SA-1 for Mario RPG and Super FX 1/2 games are going to make this thing pay for itself. I'm good.

It almost entirely paid for itself by selling the relatively-rare/valuable games I had on eBay. Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG, and Mario Kart paid nearly 2/3 of the price. Final Fantasy III got me almost the rest of the way there.

Edited by derFunkenstein

I went digging yesterday and to my surprise I still have the SDD1 'leak' which is basically an overlay of what firmware 1.9.0 does + SDD1. You just install 1.8.0 off their site into the directory, then dump the file I have contents over the top, and you basically have 1.9.0 + SDD1 enabled. I was happy to see I hadn't lost the file so I reverted mine back to 1.8.0 and re-patched it then promptly firing up SFA2 for a few battles.

Cyber: That is true, but they also said all the improvements the Pro gets the original model will as well because they're basically 1:1 in handling that. Where it will diverge is when you get into stuff that won't fit into the smaller FPGA, then the Pro will shine and in that realm, it's nothing of base SNES/SFC value other than that Shogi game, the rest is optional fluff basically. Well depends on what you consider fluff, but MSU1 was an after market creation and save states are just what they are. If you're wanting purist core SNES/SFC compatibility increase you have to ask yourself is an upgrade worth Shogi and maybe nothing else unless something weird can be figured out with the SGB and I don't see that really happening. Unless I'm off on the room there, I don't see a DMG-Gameboy hardware being put into the FPGA on top of the usual load, and the loaded SNES file that boots the GB hardware + a GB rom appended to that fitting.

I went digging yesterday and to my surprise I still have the SDD1 'leak' which is basically an overlay of what firmware 1.9.0 does + SDD1. You just install 1.8.0 off their site into the directory, then dump the file I have contents over the top, and you basically have 1.9.0 + SDD1 enabled. I was happy to see I hadn't lost the file so I reverted mine back to 1.8.0 and re-patched it then promptly firing up SFA2 for a few battles.

I downloaded what I believe to be a full firmware set. I copied it fresh from a mirror on the krikzz forums and never even downloaded an official build. Everything I tried (briefly) worked. SuperFX 1/2, S-DD1, and SA-1 were all fine, and so was DSP1.
  • Like 1

I thought save states worked from day one?

I'm pretty sure Ikari said that firmware for the pro and the original would be functionaly equivalent for the initial release. Best case the only difference would be the pro firmware will enable MSU1 and SA1 together, as these are existing cores. They just can't coexist at the same time on the original due to size.

Also, I don't believe any new features have been officially promised, just theorized what might be possible with the bigger FPGA.

I'm pretty sure Ikari said that firmware for the pro and the original would be functionaly equivalent for the initial release. Best case the only difference would be the pro firmware will enable MSU1 and SA1 together, as these are existing cores. They just can't coexist at the same time on the original due to size.

Also, I don't believe any new features have been officially promised, just theorized what might be possible with the bigger FPGA.

If you have bought sd2snes within the last year then like others have said there is no reason to get the pro version. Good to know. I can save my money.

• Like 1

What changed a year ago?

I think he meant he bought his recently, and didn't want to have to upgrade. I've had mine for almost 7 years, and really not much reason to upgrade, just for save states.

While this is likely true, the most recent revision of the SD2SNES (rev J, which I just got) has a microSD slot instead of a full-sized card. I was surprised when I opened the package so I disassembled it to see what it was.

Also, does anybody know what the micro USB port is for? Google has been very vague.

No you're correct that is what it's for, saw it mentioned on discord. I guess here as I haven't seen it, but probably the idea would be to jack the board straight into USB to feed it data while doing game development for homebrew makers to those perhaps who have protos that are being fixed up to be complete games. Having direct access with fast testing over a cable would be handy.

I updated my old SAG SD2SNES to 1.90 last week and I’ll be danged if I can find a rom I can’t play now. It’s got to be down to 0.01% of the library that’s not supported AS IS without any need for a hardware revision.

<irony> Well, 1.10.0 and 1.10.1 just came out, another 79 to 80 versions and we'll catch up with you </irony>

https://sd2snes.de/blog/

https://sd2snes.de/files/sd2snes_firmware_v1.10.1.zip