IGNORED

MSX/Coleco Sprite & Tile Set Editor

Tony Cruise

Reorganizing Sprites with your latest release adds a name to them for some reason.
First it adds an extra sprite at the beginning called default.

Once that is deleted it adds _ to all my custom names such as BOB is now called _BOB which means I have to go through every sprite and delete every _.

Then, even if you are just using it for Tile Patterns it still insists on adding a sprite pattern that you can not delete.

No biggy, just delete it in the output but I'm reporting it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2023 at 10:07 PM, youki said:

When i try to install the last version on my machine , i got an error during the installation process :

image.jpeg.c212e738d6a2ffad582f74e8cf8e76ef.jpeg

When i click Ok , i got then the same popup but with Error code 2502 .

Do you have an idea of what could be the cause?

Thanks

You have a failed/partial install of something else on your system and the temporary files folder has some files in it that are interfering.  I would do a Drive optimize space and get it to delete all temporary and system files i.e. from updates.  Then run a CHKDSK /F with a reboot and try again.

• 2 months later...

Happy Easter!

I have uploaded a new version, I have used the same libraries that @nanochess uses in his wonderful TMSColor application, converted to .Net and now used in the Tile Import section of the application.

Now when you press [Import from Clipboard] on the [Character Sets] tab, you will be presented with the following screen:

Screenshot2024-03-31202803.thumb.png.0c35845c30114df872022530eed03990.png

The [Starting Character] box will have the number of the Tile/Character you currently had selected on the main screen, you can change the value manually as well.

If the current Clipboard contents is an image it will be displayed on the right, with simple colour palette matching.

If you select [Normal Photo] the application will calculate a different mapping, using similar routines to the TMSColor application:
Screenshot2024-03-31203022.thumb.png.dac808510c910a747fe33a9ba9a8b495.png

If you select [Dithered Photo] the application will calculate a different mapping using a 2x2 dither to allow more colours to be closer together (similar to the 2nd option of TMSColor).

Screenshot2024-03-31203311.thumb.png.39b5fe77952965413f88df16647d1bde.png

If you press the [Import] button with one of the above options selected, the image will be broken down into Tiles/Chars in the current Character Set and a new Screen Layout will be created pointing to the current character set.

If you first select 'Use more than one char set', the image will be broken up into 64-pixel high segments and the tile patterns from each section will be placed in three tilesets (new ones will be created as required) and a new Screen Layout will be created pointing to the three character sets.

Screenshot2024-03-31221342.thumb.png.5f1300e27587cfb6240c0bc4fe4476d9.png

The final output after selecting 'Dither Photo' looks like this.

I started with this original image:

Depthcharge.thumb.png.e5d2c1b3939feec1c055f96be412d1a5.png

Then reduced it to 256 pixels wide, and to 16 unique colors, then back to a 256 colour format image (I use Paint Shop Pro for this - I am no good with Photoshop).

I then manually removed the edges of the lettering and explosion.

Depthcharge256.png.24aaa88dd85b44e315523c975cc7c8e5.png

This is the image I copied into the paste buffer and achieved the above output using 179 tiles.

Another example is my new splash screen for Stunt Cycle, I started with this flyer:

StuntCycleFlyer.thumb.jpg.8e2e63ffc36c6884622aa1196309bb57.jpg

I did a bit of trimming and removed the arcade cab, resizing and grabbing a 256 x 192 size section, reduced the colours to 16 (used Ordered Dithering). Increased the colours back up to 256 ending up with the following input image:

StuntCycleFlyer256.jpg.4c7b0afa79ea12705a0faf63108e9ce0.jpg

I then imported it using the 'Photo Dither' option, into multiple tile sets and ended up with the following screen:

Screenshot2024-03-31222312.thumb.png.9a650db40ef1b90bbb380158ab249cee.png

I had plenty of tiles left to add the Letters and of course the Electric Adventures letters as well.

The program will catch any errors from incorrectly formatted images, but let me know if you find anything.

Note: The observant will notice the Import from Text options have changed as well.  This allows you to import part or all of a tile set in text form from one tileset and then import it in again, just the patterns, just the colour to both, selecting the starting position and the number of characters to import.  I haven't tested this thoroughly, but have used it a few times over the last few days.

• Like 1