IGNORED

5200 4-port expansion plate 3d-print model (RGB mod)

leech

So, not wanting to cut up the original plastic, I spent some time with a caliper and Tinkercad and came up with a nice mount/expansion panel port where I can put the Sophia RGB mod.

It should be easy enough to make a model to fit the DVI variation and add in a power port hole, or do one with just the power, etc.

Let me know if anyone would be interested in such a thing.

Atari5200ExpPanelRGB.zip

• Like 3

Was fun trying to get the shield back on...

Snap that part of the shield section off. That's what I do. It is only spot tack welded in place and that rectangular section will usually snap off without too much issue. Then use large wide pliers to flatten the shield back out if it bends out in the process anywhere. Doing this will make the top and bottom separate pieces that you can more easily take on and off.

• Like 2

Snap that part of the shield section off. That's what I do. It is only spot tack welded in place and that rectangular section will usually snap off without too much issue. Then use large wide pliers to flatten the shield back out if it bends out in the process anywhere. Doing this will make the top and bottom separate pieces that you can more easily take on and off.

Ha, well, I managed to get the shield back on. If I were to make changes to my 3d model now, it'd be to move the RGB hole a little to one side so it isn't pulling on the ribbon cable so much (it reaches, but only just barely). So if someone wants me to modify it for adding a power hole, that's what I'll do. Not sure how long the DVI adapter is, but that should be doable on it as well.

I'm going to try re-printing it once I get some Hatchbox PLA that I ordered. When I was prototyping it, I had some white made by them and it came out SO much better than the black other brand that I have. My final version I had to print upside down because it kept messing up the front (like it was randomly melted in places.) Ah, the joy of learning how to make prints come out correctly!

So, not wanting to cut up the original plastic, I spent some time with a caliper and Tinkercad and came up with a nice mount/expansion panel port where I can put the Sophia RGB mod.

It should be easy enough to make a model to fit the DVI variation and add in a power port hole, or do one with just the power, etc.

Nice work!

• 3 years later...
On 2/18/2019 at 10:44 AM, leech said:

Ran across this while planning for a UAV install and really like it.  Very clean.

Would it be possible to do one with three holes to accommodate RCA jacks for audio and video?

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Ran across this while planning for a UAV install and really like it.  Very clean.

Would it be possible to do one with three holes to accommodate RCA jacks for audio and video?

Hmm, probably wouldn't be too terribly difficult to do.  I just use Tinkercad to modify stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

9 hours ago, leech said:

Hmm, probably wouldn't be too terribly difficult to do.  I just use Tinkercad to modify stuff.

Actually, there is room on that plate for the 3 RCAs and a 4-pin mini din for s-video. So it would be cool to see that done. Although I don't have the means to 3D print anything myself, but I can see that arrangement being useful for others. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Actually, there is room on that plate for the 3 RCAs and a 4-pin mini din for s-video. So it would be cool to see that done. Although I don't have the means to 3D print anything myself, but I can see that arrangement being useful for others. 

For sure.  Prototyping stuff like that can be kind of a pain though, as there can be different sizes on some of those connectors.  Even if they're slight variations. 

But I will say this, that 3d printer of mine isn't in use all the time, but holy crap is it useful when I really need something!  My next design is likely to be a plate for the IBM PS/2 to accommodate a gotek drive.

I'll see if I can find some time to dink around with the RCA/S-Video jack holes.  Will likely have to find some connectors for it that are mountable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leech said:

@-^CrossBow^- Curious about the Atari 5200 and S-Video.  If I recall, the machine was never released in PAL regions, and as such uses NTSC exclusively?  Do any games use NTSC artifacting, and hence would become black and white via the S-Video like the Atari 8bits do?

I'm not aware of any released games that use the artifacting but plenty of the 8-bit conversions will exhibit a black and white picture on them. Well... Choplifter might appear different on s-video vs composite/RF? Also just found out that Koffi: Yellow Kopter also used it for the shading in some places it seems but I'd never noticed that since I've pretty much had my 5200 on s-video for many years.

As for the AV jacks. what I've found is that pretty much every RCA jack requires a 1/4" hole. The s-video jacks that I use are actually on the larger side of things and use a 14mm or 9/16" sized hole. Most of the common glue in panel mount jacks use a smaller diameter than that but I can't recall how small but likely 1/2".

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I'm not aware of any released games that use the artifacting but plenty of the 8-bit conversions will exhibit a black and white picture on them. Well... Choplifter might appear different on s-video vs composite/RF? Also just found out that Koffi: Yellow Kopter also used it for the shading in some places it seems but I'd never noticed that since I've pretty much had my 5200 on s-video for many years.

As for the AV jacks. what I've found is that pretty much every RCA jack requires a 1/4" hole. The s-video jacks that I use are actually on the larger side of things and use a 14mm or 9/16" sized hole. Most of the common glue in panel mount jacks use a smaller diameter than that but I can't recall how small but likely 1/2".

This is what I was thinking.  https://www.amazon.com/GDQLCNXB-Connector-Chassis-Amplifier-Terminal/dp/B093YVBP38/
Then either this; https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-S-video-Connector-Adapter-Sockets/dp/B00GWEU5T4/

or https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Pieces-Female-Sockets-Connectors/dp/B00CQNU5TK/

• Like 1

Okay, the Uxcell s-video are the 1/2" panel mount. But I don't use those because they require having to secure them into place with epoxy or the like. What I was talking about and what I use are these that I buy specifically from console5.com. Although where they initially get them I don't know.

https://console5.com/store/s-video-jacks-panel-mount-black-plastic-housing-solder-type.html

Those are the ones I've used for well over 5 years now on most projects. And those use the 14mm opening although that is still a tad on the too small side and I have to widen it a little with a file. But these have a securing nut for them and don't stick out too far internally making them ideal for my use cases. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Okay, the Uxcell s-video are the 1/2" panel mount. But I don't use those because they require having to secure them into place with epoxy or the like. What I was talking about and what I use are these that I buy specifically from console5.com. Although where they initially get them I don't know.

https://console5.com/store/s-video-jacks-panel-mount-black-plastic-housing-solder-type.html

Those are the ones I've used for well over 5 years now on most projects. And those use the 14mm opening although that is still a tad on the too small side and I have to widen it a little with a file. But these have a securing nut for them and don't stick out too far internally making them ideal for my use cases. 

Cool, I'll order one of those and a set of these https://console5.com/store/set-of-3-gold-plated-stereo-a-v-rca-jacks-panel-mount-solder-type.html

Then I can design around them, and will upload the print to here and Thingiverse.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 10:16 PM, x=usr(1536) said:

Hello. I am also planning my UAV install, and found his file. I was able to modify it for RCA and s-video.

I hope this is helpful.

Atari_5200_RCA_SVideo_Ports_Access_Door.stl

Edited by Tron999
uploaded wrong file
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Tron999 said:

Hello. I am also planning my UAV install, and found his file. I was able to modify it for RCA and s-video.

I hope this is helpful.

Atari_5200_RCA_SVideo_Ports_Access_Door.stl 43.05 kB · 2 downloads

Oh, very nice!  Thank you!

I'm particularly fond of your design keeping the hole for an S-Video jack.  For the setup I'm running, that'll make capturing video much easier - composite to the TV for display, S-Video to the capture device for higher quality video than composite, and split the audio between them.

44 minutes ago, Tron999 said:

Thanks all. I was speaking to CrossBow, and he suggested making the S video port d-shaped, so it would hold the 14mm s-video port from console5 in place better. I haven't printed it yet, so I am not sure if it works yet.

image.thumb.png.1903dd9a6eb508c7a088c8820e15042c.png

Yeah, this is why I usually try to source the ports so I can design, print, adjust, print, adjust, print... and hopefully by then am satisfied with how it is coming out.

4 hours ago, Tron999 said:

Thanks all. I was speaking to CrossBow, and he suggested making the S video port d-shaped, so it would hold the 14mm s-video port from console5 in place better. I haven't printed it yet, so I am not sure if it works yet.

image.thumb.png.1903dd9a6eb508c7a088c8820e15042c.png

Now that I'm looking at this on the computer screen.  I'd try to move the three over a few millimeters.  My initial idea was going to do more of a 2x2 layout, but I'm thinking the S-Video port is too large.  Then again, that's why I'm waiting for the connectors to show up before I give it a try.  But that design is looking pretty good so far! 

In looking at it on my screen in full now, I think the s-video needs to be brought up a little. If you fill in the complete circle I think it will be sitting too low and not actually centered? And yes..those RCAs can be brought over a little more if needed. Again it isn't the entire cover we are seeing in the snapped picture as it is cut off on the right hand side.