IGNORED

Kid Icarus

sgrddy

1 hour ago, Ecernosoft said:

Really?!?!? *sigh* whatever........

Unfortunately that's probably also going to wreck the chance of me ever playing this unfortunately since I'm not really into this game.

The 320C version looked great!!

I will say however in this case 160 seems far better for this game. I think 320C looks stellar though.

It's okay to prefer the version you call the 320C, although the one shown is a 320A + 320C version and objectively it's a step down from the NES version, as it has fewer colors on screen and less depth of color in the tiles. Also on CRT, all those black pixels (that you see in the tiles) will merge into a solid block of graphics, negating the high resolution advantage.

There is no winner between 320 mode and 160 mode, each game has distinctive characteristics and some judgment is required regarding which video mode is most suitable, and in the end the developer's preferences will also play a role in the choice.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

It's okay to prefer the version you call the 320C, although the one shown is a 320A + 320C version and objectively it's a step down from the NES version, as it has fewer colors on screen and less depth of color in the tiles. Also on CRT, all those black pixels (that you see in the tiles) will merge into a solid block of graphics, negating the high resolution advantage.

There is no winner between 320 mode and 160 mode, each game has distinctive characteristics and some judgment is required regarding which video mode is most suitable, and in the end the developer's preferences will also play a role in the choice.

Yeah, might as well go with the more colorful graphics

• Like 5

On 2/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, saxmeister said:

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but one of the solutions would be to make the sprites almost twice as tall and take up more of the screen. That gives a zoom effect but gives a lot of character detail. It reminds me of games on the Sega Game Gear.

I added a title screen and part of the title music. Not much to look at yet, but just a concept for how it could look with "tall" graphics.

1713356980_Screenshotfrom2023-02-0700-58-39.thumb.png.b2fed2a31e955081d8d9c1013b9ad499.png182478860_Screenshotfrom2023-02-0700-58-48.thumb.png.bdf3a94627602b542a37627e432d2aec.png

JS7800 Link: https://raz0red.github.io/js7800/?cart=https://forums.atariage.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1002388&key=d5c21a884d417200b6bf28cac0cd67ba

(The POKEY sound doesn't work well with this file and JS7800. The music never works at first and I have to reload to hear the music.)

kidicarus03.78b.a78 48.13 kB · 12 downloads kidicarus03.78b.bin 48 kB · 4 downloads

For someone who loves 320C, can we have a 320C mode....? (please?)

Still, those graphics are BEAUTIFUL. 

And that title-screen really shines with 320C! 

Actually, I think I might go with this game. It's turning out better than I thought!

On 2/14/2023 at 8:15 PM, Defender_2600 said:

True, true.

Edited by Ecernosoft

On 2/14/2023 at 9:53 PM, Ecernosoft said:

:(

Really?!?!? *sigh* whatever........

Unfortunately that's probably also going to wreck the chance of me ever playing this unfortunately since I'm not really into this game.

The 320C version looked great!!

I will say however in this case 160 seems far better for this game. I think 320C looks stellar though.

But, whatever..... It's looking like I'm going with 320C backgrounds for TLON! (And I do mean for the level graphics too. ICT3 was pretty color-less mostly.

Would someone tell this kids parents to come collect him, please? Let them know he's been acting very special online again. I have a hunch they will probably know what you mean right away. Dunno if they will do anything about it though but it's worth a shot right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Shawn said:

Would someone tell this kids parents to come collect him, please? Let them know he's been acting very special online again. I have a hunch they will probably know what you mean right away. Dunno if they will do anything about it though but it's worth a shot right?

whoops.

sorry.

(Speaking of....... you still all hate me, don't you. It's ok. I'll leave. Just so you know, you might shorten Atariage's lifespan........ but OK!)
*thinks about contacting albert about removing his account*

*contacts albert about removing his account*

Edited by Ecernosoft

29 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Pretty sure his parents just gave him a computer or something so that he could kill time. I really doubt they give a shit...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Albert said:

That's not going to happen, but if you have a compelling reason for a post or posts to be removed, please let me know and I will consider it. 

..Al

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Speaking of removing things,

I'd like to remove my account. origonally I was going to send you this in a PM..... but since your right here......

Before I go for good, 

Thank you for all the amazing things you've done. For me. For the 7800, 5200, and 2600 community. And the computer community. For letting us share our Atari goodness with eachother.

And thank you @PacManPlus for the amazing ports to the 7800 like Frenzy and Beserk. Thank the creator of Zippy for me.

Now, either you or I will permanenently remove my account..... for good. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

whoops.

sorry.

(Speaking of....... you still all hate me, don't you. It's ok. I'll leave. Just so you know, you might shorten Atariage's lifespan........ but OK!)
*thinks about contacting albert about removing his account*

*contacts albert about removing his account*

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Yeah, I didn't think so.

Speaking of removing things,

I'd like to remove my account. origonally I was going to send you this in a PM..... but since your right here......

Before I go for good, 

Thank you for all the amazing things you've done. For me. For the 7800, 5200, and 2600 community. And the computer community. For letting us share our Atari goodness with eachother.

And thank you @PacManPlus for the amazing ports to the 7800 like Frenzy and Beserk. Thank the creator of Zippy for me.

Yeah, mate...I think you should chill a tad. You never lower your guard as if everyone is against you

8 hours ago, Shawn said:

FFS :roll:

Same to you @Shawn.  You're the one that posted a completely off-topic comment for laughs, which is "Class Clown" type of behavior.  Which took us down this path.  That's on you.

I get that a lot of you are annoyed by this kid.  But try to be respectful about it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cris1997XX said:

Maybe he should've just listened to us instead of going his merry way and ignoring everyone else. Plus, he's oddly obsessed with the 320 modes...

So that's your justification for:

On 2/16/2023 at 7:17 PM, Cris1997XX said:

Pretty sure his parents just gave him a computer or something so that he could kill time. I really doubt they give a shit...

Forums are interesting when you mix the unintentionally provoking but sensitive types with intentionally provoking and insensitive.  I've never seen the latter change their ways but Ecernosoft could learn.

For me it was a process of curbing over-sharing and understanding some don't realize how hurtful they are by being brusque.  No one hates you Ecernosoft.  They don't even understand what they be do.

As for the subject at hand.. well, that 160 version does look good despite the sorta stretched tiles/sprites.  Maybe the community could come up with a conversion topic where we take a stab at desired tiles and try redesigning them for 160 mode.  That takes care of the legal problem of using ripped sprites.

• Like 4

On 2/16/2023 at 7:23 PM, Ecernosoft said:

I'm not sure if they actually remove accounts here. Doing so may screw with how posts are viewed and archived.

You can always ask to be perma-banned if that's what you really desire. Might buy some of us some peace and quiet at least, considering this is your 57th outburst or so, heh.

May your next endeavor bring you greater happiness (tip: go outside more often, it helps).

35 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

I've never seen the latter change their ways but Ecernosoft could learn.

I remember when I was communicating on the internet at his age, I made stupid mistakes and acted odd, but I learned from my experiences and got better. I especially respected the advice of those that were older that had significantly more experience in life, and it positively shaped me as a person. With him on the other hand, it's like things go in one ear and out the other and his outbursts are constant distractions to meaningful conversation here.

Related to the main thread, I liked the idea of making it look more Game Gear-like. Might not work that well for something like Kid Icarus since there's a ton of vertical screen scrolling (hence experimenting with higher resolutions, I see), but I bet with another game it could work well, like bringing the original GG Sonic to the 7800.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 7