IGNORED

Arcade 1UP - Series 1 Countercades

1 hour ago, RJ said:

"Plenty of unique games"? You named 4. I said "most of" these games, anyway. I have 3 ways to play Galaga '88 already.

You can likely find the PLUG & PLAYS w/

>>> "MOST OF" <<< 

these same games for cheap at Goodwill, I didn't say the countercades were there. But give em a few years. ??

Welllll.... actually.  A few months ago a second hand shop that takes in open box products and other second hand goods local to here got the Galaga/Galaga88 unit, no manual, box otherwise all there for $60 so I grabbed it.  It's possible, not likely, but possible.

• Like 1

Folks'll try to pass off even the worst abominations as "arcade games". Anything goes nowadays I guess. 

Good God he originally wanted $450 for that thing!!! Wonder why it didn't sell...

??????

Screenshot_20211104-013758_Messenger.jpg

Screenshot_20211104-013825_Gallery.jpg

Edited by RJ

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Welllll.... actually.  A few months ago a second hand shop that takes in open box products and other second hand goods local to here got the Galaga/Galaga88 unit, no manual, box otherwise all there for $60 so I grabbed it.  It's possible, not likely, but possible.

Yeah my whole.point was these games continue to be re-released over & over, just repackaged on another device (like a countercade) & several appear on Plug & Plays from past years which you can find for cheap: thrift stores, garage sales, roadsides, etc.

Do we really need ANOTHER way to play Dig Dug?

Edited by RJ
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RJ said:

Motos & Gaplus are on a Wii compilation that released 11 YEARS AGO. Available for home play for over a decade.

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Screenshot_20211103-200735_Chrome.jpg

I don't really think the point is how easy it is to find these games in other formats. I have thousands of arcade games on my modded Xbox already. I'm looking for an aesthetic of an arcade, and the feel of arcade controls. These countercades don't satisfy that for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, negative1 said:

i have 4 of them, and am ordering 2 more.

the price point is great, the controls are fine. and although in some cases, a third party spinner or trackball is better.

they look and play very well.

To be clear, its the slim wall hanger style I dislike, but I love the other countertops they have that resemble the old Coleco tabletop arcades. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RJ said:

Yeah my whole.point was these games continue to be re-released over & over, just repackaged on another device (like a countercade) & several appear on Plug & Plays from past years which you can find for cheap: thrift stores, garage sales, roadsides, etc.

Do we really need ANOTHER way to play Dig Dug?

Fair enough, and really...no we don't.  But as long as dopes keep re-buying the same thing in a $100+ style machine, they'll keep repackaging it.  I only grabbed the one I did because it was basically a lightly used open box product for less than 1/2 price and I love Galaga.  Downer is I can't find a way to reset the high scores and it has a few I find somewhat annoying on it since I don't think it actually gets every button press which is a bit damning.

If you have a Ford F-150, do you go around complaining "why do they keep making F-150s? Do we really need another way to drive an F-150? You could buy any of these F-150s that came out over the past 10 years, etc." There's a market for classic games in various new form factors. A big market. They still sell millions. They keep key elements of the original and come up with new variations of them to fit consumers with different budgets and available space. They're for people who have absolutely no interest in grappling with a deteriorating 40-year-old cabinet or finding adapters for a 15-year-old old plug-and-play to work with their brand new TV. Gamers are the only people I ever hear complaining about this kind of stuff. Maybe it's because the sanctity of the nerd realm is being invaded by normals? Really, what's the deal? Now, a fraction of the new people who begin with one of this year's new reissues will get into it so deep that they eventually start collecting the originals. That's cool, right? They'll wait til the old grumps and forum trolls die off and then scoop up their half-finished restorations of old cabs at a tremendous bargain.

• Like 1

Ordered galaga and defender partycade pluses:

E234800
Arcade1Up 10 Game PartyCade Plus Portable Home Arcade Machine /Galaga
Quantity: 1 $219.96
Estimated Delivery Date: 11/19/21
5 Easy Payments
Including S&H and tax of:
$50.87

image.gif.b3d8fe8435deef11e0ae3566a5afef67.gif
E234800
Arcade1Up 10 Game PartyCade Plus Portable Home Arcade Machine /Defender
Quantity: 1 $219.96
Estimated Delivery Date: 11/19/21
5 Easy Payments
Including S&H and tax of:

$50.87

later

later

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey I was wondering, if you had an older countercade of theirs, is it a skills required type job to mod one of them throwing like an icade 60in1 into the device?  Like are we talking many tools needed and lots of steps as I doubt it couldn't be as easy as just popping it in there and it works.  I don't really touch the galaga unit I have as it's inconvenient, but got to thinking what if I could lift my icade 60in1 out of the cocktail into the device.

On 12/12/2021 at 12:47 AM, Tanooki said:

Hey I was wondering, if you had an older countercade of theirs, is it a skills required type job to mod one of them throwing like an icade 60in1 into the device?  Like are we talking many tools needed and lots of steps as I doubt it couldn't be as easy as just popping it in there and it works.  I don't really touch the galaga unit I have as it's inconvenient, but got to thinking what if I could lift my icade 60in1 out of the cocktail into the device.

It's not something that would require many tools... just a screwdriver, and I like to use needle-nose pliers to carefully detach and reconnect wires. The main thing is you need to research and buy encoder boards to connect the specific screen and the controls to the 60-in-1. When I've looked at prices those encoder boards have usually been $20-25 each.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:16 PM, Zoyous said:

It's not something that would require many tools... just a screwdriver, and I like to use needle-nose pliers to carefully detach and reconnect wires. The main thing is you need to research and buy encoder boards to connect the specific screen and the controls to the 60-in-1. When I've looked at prices those encoder boards have usually been $20-25 each.

Doesnt' seem bad but plans changed.  I'm sure you heard of the tornado that went through and wiped mayfield KY off the map right at this time of year.  There are a lot of sad kids who lost everything and they're taking gently used and new things, so I put this rather large box of stuff together and I'm placing Galaga in there along with some new Lego sets, and other toys and sports stuff like bats and things.  It'll go out in the next day or so with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

So I couldnt resist getting the Pong countercade and have 1 question.  The paddle for Pong and Super Breakout seems pretty short to me - esp Pong.  Its sorta like playing on the hardest difficulty for the 2600 version. I assume this is normal and no way to change the paddle size?

Edited by Goochman
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Goochman said:

So I couldnt resist getting the Pong countercade and have 1 question.  The paddle for Pong and Super Breakout seems pretty short to me - esp Pong.  Its sorta like playing on the hardest difficulty for the 2600 version. I assume this is normal and no way to change the paddle size?

The paddle size is not too short. They are normal, and actually feel big to me.

Wait until you hit the top of the screen, and they turn half the size, and then you hit the bricks that make them go much faster.

Very challenging.

here's some footage from the partycade, i have recorded my pong countercade yet:

later

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

upcoming pac-man, galaga head to head tabletop unit, like the pong one,

with 6 games:

https://www.game.co.uk/en/arcade1up-pac-man-galaga-head-to-head-countercade-2872996#

Features:

• PAC-MAN for the first time in an Arcade1Up Head-to-Head Countercade form factor.
  • Includes 6 classic arcade titles, that play just like the originals.
  • Officially licensed artwork.
  • Fully assembled right out of the box.
  • Perfect for retrogaming in any sized space.

• Games:
  • PAC-MAN
  • PAC-MAN PLUS
  • SUPER PAC-MAN
  • GALAXIAN
  • GALAGA

• Specifications:
  • Dimensions: 19.5” D x 6.75” W x 15” H
  • Package dimensions: 18.60 H x 6.00 D x 13.90 W
  • Weight: 13.67lbs

shown and described here:

later