IGNORED

Adventure Ponies - Game

MrFish

Thanks for posting this, I wasn't really sure which forums would be the best place to post the game and I didn't want to feel like I was spamming it.

This is the best place to post it, as most 8-bitters hang out here. 99.99% of 8-bit Homebrews get posted here. So nobody really looks on the Homebrew forum for them.

BTW, you got a little spot on AtariOnline.pl: Adventure Ponies. Although it looks like they posted screenshots using PAL mode (which gives different colors).

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

This is the best place to post it, as most 8-bitters hang out here. 99.99% of 8-bit Homebrews get posted here. So nobody really looks on the Homebrew forum for them.

BTW, you got a little spot on AtariOnline.pl: Adventure Ponies. Although it looks like they posted screenshots using PAL mode (which gives different colors).

Awesome, thanks for the AtariOnline link. I suggest people who play in an emulator, play the NTSC version as the PAL version is a little sluggish. Hopefully, when I finish converting the main loop from C to ASM this help on the speed..

Awesome, thanks for the AtariOnline link. I suggest people who play in an emulator, play the NTSC version as the PAL version is a little sluggish. Hopefully, when I finish converting the main loop from C to ASM this help on the speed..

BTW, it's easy to test for a PAL machine and set colors for it, based on any given NTSC color selections.

This is in Turbo-BASIC XL. You can see the pattern of shifting between NTSC and PAL easily when using hex values. There are some (one hue, I think) exceptions on the ends of the color spectrums, and black/gray/white don't need adjusting. I set them explicitly, but, obviously, it can be done algorithmically too.

[Edit] (Re: "Excecptions") Ah, yeah... I see I used $1C (NTSC) and $EC (PAL) for yellow; but I think, in this case, $FC would work just as well on NTSC. I probably just picked it off a chart, and wasn't really paying attention to it fitting in with the normal pattern.

TBXL

..  Test for PAL (xxxx000x) / NTSC (xxxx111x)
    IF PEEK ( eCOLPM2 ) & $0E

..      (NTSC)

..      green
        POKE eCOLOR0 , $D6
..      black
        POKE eCOLOR1 , $00
..      yellow
        POKE eCOLOR2 , $1C
..      red
        POKE eCOLOR3 , $34
..      blue
        POKE eCOLOR4 , $94

ELSE

..      (PAL)

..      green
        POKE eCOLOR0 , $C6
..      black
        POKE eCOLOR1 , $00
..      yellow
        POKE eCOLOR2 , $EC
..      red
        POKE eCOLOR3 , $24
..      blue
        POKE eCOLOR4 , $84

ENDIF
Edited by MrFish
  • Like 2

BTW, it's easy to test for a PAL machine and set colors for it, based on any given NTSC color selections.

This is in Turbo-BASIC XL. You can see the pattern of shifting between NTSC and PAL easily when using hex values. There are some (one hue, I think) exceptions on the ends of the color spectrums, and black/gray/white don't need adjusting. I set them explicitly, but, obviously, it can be done algorithmically too.

[Edit] (Re: "Excecptions") Ah, yeah... I see I used $1C (NTSC) and $EC (PAL) for yellow; but I think, in this case, $FC would work just as well on NTSC. I probably just picked it off a chart, and wasn't really paying attention to it fitting in with the normal pattern.

TBXL

..  Test for PAL (xxxx000x) / NTSC (xxxx111x)
    IF PEEK ( eCOLPM2 ) & $0E

..      (NTSC)

..      green
        POKE eCOLOR0 , $D6
..      black
        POKE eCOLOR1 , $00
..      yellow
        POKE eCOLOR2 , $1C
..      red
        POKE eCOLOR3 , $34
..      blue
        POKE eCOLOR4 , $94

ELSE

..      (PAL)

..      green
        POKE eCOLOR0 , $C6
..      black
        POKE eCOLOR1 , $00
..      yellow
        POKE eCOLOR2 , $EC
..      red
        POKE eCOLOR3 , $24
..      blue
        POKE eCOLOR4 , $84

ENDIF

Thanks for this, I may reference this as I have all the colors defined as constants in a C header file. I may create one for PAL colors and create two separate binaries. (I don't really want to check at run time and modify them because of the overhead)

Thanks for this, I may reference this as I have all the colors defined as constants in a C header file. I may create one for PAL colors and create two separate binaries. (I don't really want to check at run time and modify them because of the overhead)

A lot of people are doing that these days (making separate versions),

Thanks for posting this, I wasn't really sure which forums would be the best place to post the game and I didn't want to feel like I was spamming it.

Any plans to make this a physical release on cartridge? The AtariAge Store could always use more 8-bit homebrew games, if you ask me!

Any plans to make this a physical release on cartridge? The AtariAge Store could always use more 8-bit homebrew games, if you ask me!

I would like to eventually make a cartridge version of this, and do everything that I am doing in high memory now, in a cartridge bank. That way it wouldn't require 64K and could run on a 48K Atari 800.

• Like 1

Hi; I'm new to the Atari 8-bit world, I just recently got a 130XE.

This looks like a fun game, but it doesn't seem to work for me; after loading, it just gets stuck on a blank blue screen. Yes, I did hold down the Option key while booting :)

Is there any known issue with this running running on an NTSC 130XE?

I think my machine is OK; the memory tests I've run (built-in and extended memory tests from the memory test disk I found on this site) all seem to pass.

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm loading this from a Lotharek-built SIO2SD.

Edited by gdunlapsd

Hi; I'm new to the Atari 8-bit world, I just recently got a 130XE.

This looks like a fun game, but it doesn't seem to work for me; after loading, it just gets stuck on a blank blue screen. Yes, I did hold down the Option key while booting :)

Is there any known issue with this running running on an NTSC 130XE?

I think my machine is OK; the memory tests I've run (built-in and extended memory tests from the memory test disk I found on this site) all seem to pass.

Thanks for any advice!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm loading this from a Lotharek-built SIO2SD.

This is something I need to troubleshoot. I am not familiar with the SIO2SD, does it utilize the cartridge port at all?

The reason I am asking is that the machine I tested it on is also an NTSC 130XE.

When I load it on the real hardware utilizing the SIO2USB, and it works just fine. However when trying to test it with an AtariMAX Maxflash cartridge it does not work and it stops responding after the first chunk loads.

The loading of the game happens in a couple of stages. The first chunk loads, the OS is disabled and data is copied to high RAM under the OS. The OS is re-enabled and the game continues to load in normal RAM.

I have a feeling that the PORTB disabling the OS to load under high RAM may be what causes the problem with AtariMAX Maxflash cartridge, however I am not sure if this is the same issue you are having.

Any other info may help me troubleshoot this further.

Edit.....I added an ATR file with the game to autoload as an AUTORUN.SYS file. I don't know if this will help or not. Please try and see and let me know either way. Thanks

advponies.080.atr

Edited by Gibstov
  • Like 1

Hi Gibstov - thanks for replying! Cool that you're testing with the same machine as I have.

The SIO2SD just connects to the SIO port like the SIO2USB. I don't have anything plugged into the cartridge port.

Here's a link to the device I'm using: https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=126

I am using an "xex loader" that came with the device - maybe it's causing a problem?

I'll try it on a SIO2USB and see if it loads there. I'll let you know what happens; if it still doesn't work then it's probably something wrong with my machine.

Thanks again!

Edit: Ah, I just noticed that you've attached an atr image - thanks for that! I'll try with that too to see if I have better luck with it!

Edited by gdunlapsd
  • Like 1

Good news - I got the ATR image to work from the SIO2SD!

After the initial failed load, I hit the Reset key while holding down Option and it reloads the disk image, successfully this time.

Must be some compatibility issue with the Configurator loader software that I'm using to load; If you want a look at it, it is here:

http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SoftwareATARI_en

I'm using Configurator v35

I can't find my SIO2USB cable (I seems to have done a good job of hiding it from myself), but I'm pretty sure it'll work once I do find it.

• Like 1

Ah, OK; sorry, hadn't heard of that device. As I said, I'm new to the Atari 8-bit scene :-)

Anyway, I had the same trouble loading the game via SIO2PC and RespeQT. In RespeQT, I unchecked "Use non-standard speeds", and now it loads fine.

Also, it loads consistently via SIO2SD if I bypass the Configurator loader tool and just mount the disk image via the buttons on the device. Configurator might be set to a serial speed that the game loader dislikes?

Ah, OK; sorry, hadn't heard of that device. As I said, I'm new to the Atari 8-bit scene :-)

Anyway, I had the same trouble loading the game via SIO2PC and RespeQT. In RespeQT, I unchecked "Use non-standard speeds", and now it loads fine.

Also, it loads consistently via SIO2SD if I bypass the Configurator loader tool and just mount the disk image via the buttons on the device. Configurator might be set to a serial speed that the game loader dislikes?

That is great that you got it to work. That was probably my confusion with the SIO2USB, I think we are talking about the same thing. It plugs into the SIO and you plug the other end into the USB port on your computer.

The bug must be have something to do with the PORTB process. If you never got to the info screen, then this is where it is failing