IGNORED

RCA audio issue: forcing mono to both speakers..how?

donjn

I just tested the two connectors (Red & White) again with my continuity tester and yes, they are both tied to pin 3

of the 5 pin DIN connector. Also the shields of the two RCA jacks tie to ground (pin 2) on the DIN connector.

donjn, if your red and white RCA jacks don't ohm out at about zero ohms, you might send Corey at 8BitClassics

an email to verify that you got the correct cable. Or, there may be something wrong with the one you got. I know

that they make a lot of other cables. Below is a picture of my test.

DavidMil

post-47264-0-91619700-1554525631_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

David my cable matches yours as one would expect. I think people need to understand that the cable we are talking about is not the same as the usual 4 RCA plug type that so many people used with the older luma + chroma monitors such as the 1702. No this one has a true S-Video 4-pin Mini-DIN plug, a yellow RCA plug for composite video, and a red and white RCA plug for left and right audio (as mentioned these are tied together to the same audio output pin coming from the Atari). This is the cable that the OP posted a link to here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/289841-rca-audio-issue-forcing-mono-to-both-speakershow/?do=findComment&comment=4251203

So bottom line if you don't get MONO audio coming out of both the red and white RCA plugs, the cable is no good and should be returned.

• Like 2

I just tested the two connectors (Red & White) again with my continuity tester and yes, they are both tied to pin 3

of the 5 pin DIN connector. Also the shields of the two RCA jacks tie to ground (pin 2) on the DIN connector.

donjn, if your red and white RCA jacks don't ohm out at about zero ohms, you might send Corey at 8BitClassics

an email to verify that you got the correct cable. Or, there may be something wrong with the one you got. I know

that they make a lot of other cables. Below is a picture of my test.

DavidMil

Nice multimeter! I'm thinking maybe it's time for me to finally upgrade mine. I've been using the same multimeter for at least the last 25 years. It was great back in the day because it has an RS232C interface on it and had an MS-DOS Oscilloscope app on it, but I have no idea if I even have that old 3.5" floppy any more...

post-149-0-35657700-1554564260_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-06853700-1554564281_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I started reading this because I couldn't believe it went to 3 pafges. I read as far down to the picture of Kheller's cables and decided I had nothing to contribute that would help more than the people that already replied.

This community is amazing!

I'm glad I'm here and I'm glad it exists!

It may have taken 3 pages, but at least this topic was about understanding something that wasn't working correctly on an A8, and hopefully we've gotten to the bottom of it.

I've see some truly stupid topics go on, and on, and... you get the point :) .

• Like 1