IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

@mksmith I'm getting an error after the update. 

"couldn't grow memory for message buffer"

The exact same code compiled under v.028 beta but after the extension updated and set to default, that's the error that I get.

That's a dasm error. It has a "pass buffer" which is used to suppress errors in one pass that actually go away in later passes. If the buffer isn't sufficient to store the next line of output, the buffer gets reallocated to twice the size it was previously. That reallocation is what failed.

First thing I'd try is a reboot. If you've been running for a while, even if you have memory, your free memory might be fragmented such that the OS can't hand out a contiguous block.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

new release (v0.9.1) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.29 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Updated 7800basic keyword, hover and context help lists
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

new release (v0.9.2) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.30 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added M1 Mac Compatibility (arm64) for batariBasic, 7800basic, Stella and dasm

Thanks to Scott Lahteine (thinkyhead) for the M1 Mac Compatibility for bB, 7800basic, Stella, dasm (generally or close to the most recent versions). This feature may require testing and tweaking to ensure it is working as expected (unfortunately I don't have access to M1 Mac hardware).

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

new release (v0.9.3) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated serial application debug for 7800GD developers (thanks saint)

Just a minor change as the 7800GD developer squirt to cart wasn't always working as expected so @SainT rebuilt the executable (thanks mate).  Fingers crossed the virus scanners don't collect it - if so just mark the file (7800cmd.exe) as ok.

• Like 6

• 5 weeks later...

new release (v0.9.4) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.31 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, darryl1970 said:

Very nice. Thank you for your hard work!

Mike does the hard yards and we get all the rewards 😀 Looking forward to digging into the compression stuff 👌👌👌

• Like 2

Hi Matt,

Im getting this error after trying to compile and run, i noticed the first try says "starting build" but hangs idle.

EDIT: Can confirm older extension version works fine just the latest

The 7800basic compiler is already running! If you need to cancel the compilation process use the 'ads: Kill build process' option from the Command Palette.

16 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Hi Matt,

Im getting this error after trying to compile and run, i noticed the first try says "starting build" but hangs idle.

EDIT: Can confirm older extension version works fine just the latest

The 7800basic compiler is already running! If you need to cancel the compilation process use the 'ads: Kill build process' option from the Command Palette.

Since it will probably be asked, what OS are you using? Does choosing "ads: Kill build process" from the command palette as suggested in the error clear it? (Control-Shift-P to bring up command palette, then search for that command).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Since it will probably be asked, what OS are you using? Does choosing "ads: Kill build process" from the command palette as suggested in the error clear it? (Control-Shift-P to bring up command palette, then search for that command).

Hi Karl,

Windows11 and on both my desktop and laptop rigs.

Yes it does terminate the process but that's as far as i can get. First attempt just hangs at starting build until i terminate

Starting build of StoneAge.78b...

2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Yes it does terminate the process but that's as far as i can get. First attempt just hangs at starting build until i terminate

Starting build of StoneAge.78b...

If you want to send me your project directory in PM, I can check out the 7800basic side of things. I pretty extensively tested out the 2-pass stuff, but the fact that you're running into this problem right after 2-pass probably isn't coincidental.

• Thanks 1

Solved, seems to be on my end although i still don't really know what caused it. Had to reinstall VSC on both systems so possibly an issue caused after latest Win11 update.

After narrowing it down it seems to be an issue with whitespace in the name of the source file. Once i removed or repaced with an underscore the projects would compile.

new release (v0.9.5) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.32 (Windows, Linux, macOS)

Update includes a fix for the above spacing in filename issue 👌

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mksmith said:

@TwentySixHundred good find mate - apologies for not seeing this earlier.

@RevEng @Karl G thanks again guys for jumping in to help 👌👌👌

All good mate, warning long story

It was a discovery partly on my own complacency due to the flexibility of 7800basic and bB in the past. I know whitespace is usually bad practice, however with my project naming i would usually label them as "Example v0.01" ect.

When Mike asked for the source to have a look, i renamed "StoneAge v0.34" to just "StoneAge" for simplicity (no real idea why). Mike had no issues compiling, by that stage i had already reinstalled VSC only to try again with that renamed source which worked. That led me to think the issue was VSC or a Windows update...

Thought that was said and done till testing on my laptop (dev rig) with the original "StoneAge v0.34" source and it hung. That's where i had the lightbulb moment after noticing a CMake part file in the source directory. I assume these leftover files are deleted after a successful compilation however as it hung they were left over? Going back to what basic knowledge i have of high level languages like C i put two and two together (they usually don;t like whitespace in directory names). Tried multiple projects with whitespace along with others without and sure enough only those with the space hung.

Anyway i can't help but laugh 😆

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

new release (v0.9.6) is now available (VSCode and VSCodium) with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.33 (Windows, Linux, macOS). NOTE: arm64 compatibility build remains at v0.29
  • Updated Stella to v6.7.1 (Windows, Linux [Deb], macOS). NOTE: Linux 32-bit is currently v6.2

Thanks to Mike and the Stella team for the updates 👌

I haven't tested the Linux and MacOS releases at this time - I need to re setup my Linux install as I recently updated to Zorin 17 from Ubuntu. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, mksmith said:

I haven't tested the Linux and MacOS releases at this time - I need to re setup my Linux install as I recently updated to Zorin 17 from Ubuntu. 

Thanks again Matt for the speedy update! I can confirm that it is working for me so far on Linux (Ubuntu 64-bit).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Karl G said:

Thanks again Matt for the speedy update! I can confirm that it is working for me so far on Linux (Ubuntu 64-bit).

Thanks Buddy!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Krunkcleanup said:

I'm trying to make a 64kSC batari basic program using atari dev studio (1.79.2), but when i run it i get a black screen, and it's saying there are 0 bytes in bank 16 too.  I've tried running other people's 64kSC .bas files, and they have the same problem.

If you can provide a sample source file that exhibits this behavior, I can take a look.

• Thanks 1

I think the problem is with the compiler since its saying there's 0 bytes in bank 16.  Even when I try a simple program and add a 64k template, I just get a black screen.

set romsize 64kSC
__MainLoop
   COLUPF = $1E
   playfield:
   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
   X..............................X