IGNORED

Would anyone like to trade or buy this brand new dvd

JagMX

I bought for 15.00$ The Abyss Special edition dvd - unfortunatly for me there was only the Widescreen version.

Usually if i buy a dvd with only widescreen, i can select "widescreen" in whichever dvd player i use and it stretches it out a little bit where it'll make it watchable for me, but with this dvd it wont do it and im aggrivated.

Would someone be interested in buying this from me for 15$ or like to make a trade for another dvd, or maybe a Dreamcast game, Sega saturn game?

Reply, PM, email, message me on anything :)

Wow. When I used to teach at film school, I'd have to explain this all the time. When a movie is in widescreen, you're actually seeing more of the picture than when you see it full screen on your television.

The size of the picture in a movie camera is much longer than the shape of your TV, so the only way to fit the whole picture (as it was originally shot) onto your television is to leave parts of your TV unused. Widescreen is the only to watch the movie the same way as in the movie theatre - the way that the director intended you to see it.

When movie companies create the "full screen" version, they zoom in on the center of the picture, ignoring whatever information is on the left and right. The picture isn't as sharp, and by doing this they totally change the original intent of the film - they even introduce edits that were never meant to be there.

I only had a copy of Star Wars full screen for a number of years, then getting the widescreen version was like seeing a whole different movie - there was a lot more going on in the other third of the screen that got cut off before.

Trust me, if you're a true devotee of The Abyss (I just saw the movie for the first time a few months back and thought that it wasn't very interesting) you're going to want to keep the Widescreen version - it's the way that James Cameron would want you to see it.

Eventually with the format of televisions changing standards, the widescreen -will- be more desired as fullscreens will be seen with vertical bars on either side to accomodate the rectangular dimensions.

The issue with widescreens now, understandably, is they're so damned tiny to be looking at on a normal boobtube, letterbox and all.

Wow.  When I used to teach at film school, I'd have to explain this all the time.  When a movie is in widescreen, you're actually seeing more of the picture than when you see it full screen on your television.  

The size of the picture in a movie camera is much longer than the shape of your TV, so the only way to fit the whole picture (as it was originally shot) onto your television is to leave parts of your TV unused.  Widescreen is the only to watch the movie the same way as in the movie theatre - the way that the director intended you to see it.

When movie companies create the "full screen" version, they zoom in on the center of the picture, ignoring whatever information is on the left and right.  The picture isn't as sharp, and by doing this they totally change the original intent of the film - they even introduce edits that were never meant to be there.

I only had a copy of Star Wars full screen for a number of years, then getting the widescreen version was like seeing a whole different movie - there was a lot more going on in the other third of the screen that got cut off before.

Trust me, if you're a true devotee of The Abyss (I just saw the movie for the first time a few months back and thought that it wasn't very interesting) you're going to want to keep the Widescreen version - it's the way that James Cameron would want you to see it.

i know the whole deal with widescreen and letterbox stuff, but to me an xtra little bit on the sides doesnt mean much to me - the main thing i have to focus on is whats goin on with the movie instead of having to notice the xtra little bit included with widescreen - i cant stand having to see 2 huge black bars on top and bottom of my tv- not everyone wants and/or and afford a "widescreen tv" and if widescreen is the only format thatll be used for the furture, and that will be horrible, then thats just wrong.

I like pan and scan - 4:3 full screen whatever you want to call it.

dvds should at least come with the one side fullscreen - other side widescreen so people have a choice - there isnt much choice anymore :sad:

please someone trade me something for this! :)

Trust me, if you're a true devotee of The Abyss

thats why i want it, i remember getting a widescreen VHS tape once and inside was a flyer about the differences between the 2 formats, and the movie they used was The Abyss to show the difference, i had always seen the movie in full screen and the flyer actually changed my thinking about widescreen (i actually used to hate the format) , but not all movies are better in widescreen alot of the older movies the bars are way to big, but it seems now adays they are alot better

are aboput 5 inch black bars big enough? :x

i cant stand this :x

i can kinda deal with the really small black bars but thats about it - but not this crap - its like my eyes have been covered on topand bottom and only a small amount i can see through

tell ya what im gunna take a pic of this garbage :D

i know, i had a feeling that movie was one of the ones i was talking about, but i would still want it to see the difference ive seen that movie alot but never the widescreen version, i have the movie on tape somewhere :)

this is gonna make me want to find it and watch it again :D

i also have the Philips CDi movie A fish called wanda i could throw in as well ... LOL

i know, i had a feeling that movie was one of the ones i was talking about, but i would still want it to see the difference ive seen that movie alot but never the widescreen version, i have the movie on tape somewhere :)

this is gonna make me want to find it and watch it again :D

i also have the Philips CDi movie A fish called wanda i could throw in as well ... LOL

ok granted i may be xagerrating the "5inches" but when certain parts are moslty dark it adds in to make it look like 5 inches ;)

but its about 3 inches i would say - honestly i think 5 centimeters is too much for black bars ;) but regardless i could still "take" something with the MUCH SMALLER bars...

and Lemmi you make that deal sound so tempting ;)

I got the Abyss today from Jag :D

must say its much better in widescreen, its a darker movie this way for some reason, and its best watched in the dark :)

thanks jag

no problem dude ;)

can't u return it?

yes i can - but i really didnt wanna bother anyway - i wouldve just gotten another DVD - and i figured i could get a good trade for stuff i dont wanna pay for and cant find easily ;)

Archived