IGNORED

Wii U is super fun

Reaperman

By "exclusive" I mean, well, an exclusive - game appearing only on U. If that list is complete I can't say it's very impressive, at least compared to other Nintendo consoles. After removing indies, remakes and party games I'd be interested in Kirby, Fatal Frame, Star Fox Zero and Xenoblade.

12 hours ago, youxia said:

By "exclusive" I mean, well, an exclusive - game appearing only on U. If that list is complete I can't say it's very impressive, at least compared to other Nintendo consoles. After removing indies, remakes and party games I'd be interested in Kirby, Fatal Frame, Star Fox Zero and Xenoblade.

Yeah, there aren't a lot of exclusives anymore, thanks to most of them being ported to other consoles (and I'm sure the remaining few will follow). On that list, I'd say maybe Wind Waker HD and Nintendo Land are must-haves.

I'm not sure that list is exhaustive, though, I don't see Tank! Tank! Tank! on it.

But IMO, a lot of WiiU games are better on the WiiU, because of the Gamepad. YMMV.

The MiiVerse made the games more awesome, too, but that's long gone now :(

Most people hated Star Fox Zero, but what little I played of it, I thought it was alright, once you get used to the controls. I'm not the biggest Star Fox fan though, so I didn't go in with very high expectations.

I'm pretty sure I have Affordable Space Adventures, but I haven't played it.

Edited by Asaki

16 hours ago, youxia said:

I wouldn't discount the indies, some of them are reportedly quite nice. As for party games, the Wii U seems to be a great platform because of the gamepad which allows for one player seeing different things than the others and facilitating more player vs. player, but if you rather play alone that's not much of an attraction.

I loved MiiVerse. I assume there is some depressingly human reason Nintendo axed it while the console was still (barely) alive. So much great art, funny stuff, and bonus content lost forever.

I also loved MiiVerse. It felt like a part of the Wii U died when they shut it down.

There was a lot of random fun character art, tips and complaints about games, you could send messages in bottles in Wind Waker, all kinds of stuff. It's hard to explain. I presume it cost a lot to moderate - they did a good job, because I can't say I ever saw something offensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slx said:

I joined the Wii U world after MiiVerse. What was so great about it? Curious?

It was one of the best things Nintendo's ever done: https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Miiverse

There was a lot to it, but I didn't use most of it...I guess it was kind of like a social networking.

When you started up the WiiU, that plaza would be filled with random people from the Internet, and it would show you which games people were currently playing, and it would show you messages that they left about the game. Also, while playing many games, at certain points the game would ask you if you want to make a MiiVerse post, and you could make a B&W doodle, or post a screenshot, and/or type something...and a lot of games had collectable stamps. It was like a glorified Pictochat (from the DS). The screenshots were super helpful for Wind Waker, where you could bring pictographs of different characters to the figurine maker.

A lot of the art was really bad and/or stupid, but some of it was really impressive. I loved looking through it. When we played multiplayer games at my friends' house, we'd pass the Gamepad around and ask who wanted to leave the next post.

Oh cool, I found the archive of my profile :D https://archiverse.guide/posts?name=LordAsaki

And an assortment of things that I've "liked" (they called them "yeahs"): https://web.archive.org/web/20171025132311/https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/LordAsaki/empathies

A lot of it makes very little sense out of context (or even IN context...)

This one made us laugh so much:

WVW69j0Ngw0VM7IEn6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Asaki said:

It was one of the best things Nintendo's ever done: https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Miiverse

Thanks for the very detailed explanation and for sharing your archive links. I realize that there are people who can draw better stuff on a gamepad with a resistive stylus than I can with a sharpened pencil. Altogether probably not something I would have used much as I don't use social media intensively outside AtariAge, but still interesting why Nintendo ended it. I could understand that they would not want it to feel like a world dying out on the WiiU/3DS with user numbers declining, but why didn't they take it over to the Switch? While they might not command a Facebook or Instagram user base, there would still be a sizeable community. Maybe a fear that it could be used for poaching kids or disturbing them with inappropriate content? Too much resources required for sanitation? A fear that it would be irrelevant to users who have numerous other channels to post their gaming achievements?  (In that case they could have added facebook/Insta/etc. integration to the Switch.)

Maybe sometime in the future someone will hack the protocols and set up an alternative server for a Retro-Miiverse....

• Like 1

Michigan Club!

Nice, guys!

REALLY making me miss the Miiverse now :(

...I need to play more Badge Arcade, too.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:17 AM, slx said:

I realize that there are people who can draw better stuff on a gamepad with a resistive stylus than I can with a sharpened pencil.

Altogether probably not something I would have used much as I don't use social media intensively outside AtariAge, but still interesting why Nintendo ended it. I could understand that they would not want it to feel like a world dying out on the WiiU/3DS with user numbers declining, but why didn't they take it over to the Switch?

Yeah, it's harder to draw on a touch screen than with pencil/paper, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

I think some people use the d-pad to get the really fine details, but I'm not sure.

I'm not into social media either, but Miiverse had just the right ingredients for me.

Rumor is, they shut it down because they got tired of moderating ding-dongs...but it didn't help that they were also trying to make people buy a Switch and forget about the WiiU.

No Miiverse on the Switch was a huge missed opportunity, but it would've been a lot harder to use, since you can't use the touch screen while it's hooked up to the TV. There's no Web browser or anything, either.

Miiverse homebrew server would be awesome.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I put together a short video of my Wii U setup from (this post)

The previous post's pictures are about all there is to see visually, but if you'd like to hear me ramble on for a bit, there's now a video.

Nice setup! Thanks for sharing. We currently enjoy a Wii U living room setup but if that lease is cancelled that's a nice way to go. Love the piano hinged cutting board idea!

• Like 2