IGNORED

NICE - without all the noise!!

Bikerbob

I think this is a perfect CLUB...

There is a lot of specific discussion that could be had here in a private space. Makes seeing and following information easier.

Specifically there is SO MUCH information and a search so generic that having this space where we might be able to ask a question and be pointed to where in all the info that information is already posted.

I am the slow one.. myself and my friend Chris.. who is also on this board.. but really just reads does not post.. WE have everything.. but have not started the build yet.

I just got the 2nd set of custom chips from BEST a  few days ago... so we have everything to start  the build.  OH this is for an 1088xel.. not the 1050 newer project.. lol..

Looking forward to getting started.

I have a very good Soldering IRON, I have a good desolding setup..   what is the best SOLDER suggestion ( The blend) and what about ROSIN..   paste? other?   Want to make nice consistent solder points.

James

I like 60/40 leaded rosin-core solder, though 63/37 I think has a somewhat lower melting temp. In either case, it's worlds better than lead-free stuff.  I prefer rosin-activated no clean flux. I bought a bottle of mgChem brand stuff and swear by it. It makes solder melt and flow like butter. For application, I bought two plastic needle-tip bottles from Amazon. I use 90% isopropyl alcohol in one of them, flux in the other. The needle tip lets you put just a drop or two exactly where you need it, with no waste. So a little bottle of flux or iso can go a very long way, and that much less residue to clean afterwards.

These boards are 4-layer, with a big, heat-absorbing ground plane throughout on the inside. So for the best joints make sure you component legs are clean - scrub them lightly with a nylon brush or very fine sandpaper of any of them are dull with surface corrosion. Assemble the boards with the flattest parts first - all the discrete components, then the sockets, then headers, then the tall stuff like electrolytic capacitors. That way your board stays nice and flat while you do most of the repetitive work. Take your time and verify orientation and placement before you solder, especially for diodes and LEDs, electrolytic caps, chip sockets, etc. 

Have fun! :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 years later...