IGNORED

The Atari 65XE Video Game System...Huh?

yep, just seen that for the first time a few months ago...I don't remember exactly where I saw it on-line, but it said it was from Brazil, I think. Definitely from central or south America.

Edited by Gunstar

The XEGS (Game System) was the full system, including the keyboard. The XEGM (Game Machine) is the version sold without a keyboard. I think light gun, joystick and pack-in games were sold with both, but I don't know for sure. Also,I am referring ONLY to the real XE console with the pastel buttons, sold in the US. Outdise the US I have no idea what they were called or if they were XE console or computer.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

The XEGS (Game System) was the full system, including the keyboard. The XEGM (Game Machine) is the version sold without a keyboard. I think light gun, joystick and pack-in games were sold with both, but I don't know for sure. Also,I am referring ONLY to the real XE console with the pastel buttons, sold in the US. Outdise the US I have no idea what they were called or if they were XE console or computer.

Yeah you know it's funny, Bruce @ B&C is really the only guy I've seen refer to it as a "game machine." I can't find literature anywhere that actually refers to it as the XE Game Machine. I wonder if he made it up? Here is @Rhod's picture of his XE collection (he's based in France). Notice everything says "XE system" - nothing about machines. I know you specifically mention US-only, but again, I have never seen any reference to a "game machine" outside of B&C and maybe Video61. No actual Atari info that says "game machine" anywhere. @Fred_M's second link above also supports my theory that B&C made up the "game machine" concept and that the XEGS was only ever sold complete here in the US. I'd love to see a picture prove me otherwise, however!

Atari XE.jpg

• Like 2

@sixersfan105 You may be right, though I'm sure I heard the Basic and Deluxe versions referred to many times in old Analog and Antic magazines as the XEGM and XEGS, but the only picture I can find of the U.S. release is the entire system. Wikipedia says there was the deluxe system that included the keyboard, light gun, joystick and pack-in games, and the basic system was the console and joystick only, but I could not find a picture of the basic system (which I remember seeing in stores, and my memory was it said Atari XE Game Machine, but I may be mis-remembering). On the Internet all I can find of the console and joystick only version is the one in the picture you posted.

xegamesystem.jpg

rtmawmK.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Yeah I've just never seen pictures of a "basic" set stateside. May be a picture will surface one of these days! "Machine" doesn't seem like marketing Atari would use, either. Seems very...unofficial and used by Atari vendors to keep their own stock straight when they started pulling from complete retail sets to piece out individual parts :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 6/30/2023 at 4:51 PM, manterola said:

Adding to the confusion...

I just got this "65XE Computer System" while visiting Chile.

Just a complete XEGS with a different box, but same styrofoam.

That 65XE box style seems rather unique, I can't find more examples of it.

How certain is it that it is the original box for that XEgs?  Is there any interesting info on other sides of the box?

1 hour ago, hunmanik said:

How certain is it that it is the original box for that XEgs?  Is there any interesting info on other sides of the box?

I think it's almost certainly not the original box for the xegs. ;) Either that or at that particular factory they started shipping those particular xegs with them. 

2 hours ago, hunmanik said:

Probably not original, but how we define original?  I mean, maybe the XEGS factory in China decided to save some money and started using more generic/cheaper boxes to ship to South America, who knows, or they were local boxes made in Chile to replace damaged original boxes.

The box does not include any info or anything in the other sides, and, as you can see in the pictures, it is not in great condition.

This box looks similar to later XF-551 boxes also used in USA, I guess.

image.png.6bbb1e4a31ff91b1b18468a1bfddbd1c.png

I meant, did Atari really sell XEgs systems in that style box, or is this particular XEgs now mated not with the box it was sold with, but with a mismatched box that originally was sold containing an actual 65XE computer.

I suppose you have no way of knowing.

Another thought, is there 65XE styrofoam that would fit in this 65XE box?  Or are the dimensions of this style 65XE box unique to the dimensions of XEgs styrofoam?   I don't know myself whether common 65XE and XEgs boxes are the same dimensions or different dimensions, but anyone with both could answer that question easily enough.

The 65XE boxes I know are considerable smaller (thin). Those are basically the same box than 130XE boxes. 

I found this picture in google with some of the variations. Notice how it also includes a white box with one color characters and logos.

Nir on X: "Atari 65XE in different retail packages https://t.co/Npm2qPF8rO"  / X

• Like 1

Hi

Found this picture showing a 520ST box on eBay, in similar generic one color text box.

My guess is that they switched to this box style during the Tramiel era because they are cheaper to print.

Kind regards,

Luis. 

520st-with-box.jpg