IGNORED

Incognito - Now's your chance!

1 minute ago, TGB1718 said:

Doesn't seem to interfere with the speaker, its very small

So you mean, the speaker sits right on its place, when re-integrating the bottom and top halves? Sound emission not blocked?

If that is the case, then this alternative seems pretty viable too, besides the capacitance/touch one.

2 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

If that is the case, then this alternative seems pretty viable too, besides the capacitance/touch one.

I think you may be confusing the two solutions I've posted, this one is for the HDD LED flasher, the ATR swap one

that uses the RF channel selector is a bigger circuit board, and sits on the posts that the RF modulator used to sit on.

Had I realised the HDD issue was there, I would have put the two circuits onto one board

1 hour ago, TGB1718 said:

I think you may be confusing the two solutions I've posted, this one is for the HDD LED flasher, the ATR swap one

that uses the RF channel selector is a bigger circuit board, and sits on the posts that the RF modulator used to sit on.

Had I realised the HDD issue was there, I would have put the two circuits onto one board

OH!! So you are using the Ch. 2/3 switch for signaling .ATR change?

I would suggest you reconsidering because that switch is the most unreliable passive component I have seen on this system.  When connected to TV's RF input, on Ch.2, for instance, even the SLIGHTEST touch seriously disrupts the image (momentarily).

However, if you have tested it thoroughly, that would be a different story, for sure.

When I first checked it, one way was a bit intermittent, but a good squirt of contact cleaner sorted it, I've

tested again and again and so far works ok.

I had a look and the choice of that switch wasn't a great idea,

it allows dust and anything floating about to enter the switch mechanism, probably why you say its unreliable.

59 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

When I first checked it, one way was a bit intermittent, but a good squirt of contact cleaner sorted it, I've

tested again and again and so far works ok.

I had a look and the choice of that switch wasn't a great idea,

it allows dust and anything floating about to enter the switch mechanism, probably why you say its unreliable.

Well, back in 2013, I also considered the RF switch as a possible on-board solution of .ATR switch. Not a bad idea, on its own.

However, and thinking back then, I could envision that a) Incognito would become an integral part of the system, b) the .ATR switch would then become a permanent fixture (system would not operate correctly without it, anyway), and c) I thought it would be a better idea to keep the switch install as independent / separate as possible from any system component. That was the reason I veered off from the power-board (or any other board), so I could later work on them or replace them without ever worrying about porting the switch's install, as well, etc.

Even today, removing Incognito (7 years later) would be like decapitating the 800, literally. So it all ended being true, essentially.

In any case, there are REALLY new and creative ideas coming out of this install wave, and that's exactly what we should encourage / look-forward to, at any given time.

• Like 2

Have to admit I've had much enjoyment and fun doing this install, if it was simply a case of plugging in and go

I wouldn't have that greater sense of achievement and hopefully given other people solutions that may be useful

too.

And, it's a great piece of kit, I just love it. 

• Like 3

On 2/20/2020 at 6:55 PM, Jeffrey Worley said:

You don't have to wait on the ATR swap button to build the thing.  Go ahead and build without the button.  My version is a little PCB you hide under the Ram-slot cover, on the left-rear.  You access the swap button with a naked q-tip rod or a straightened paper clip.  It also has an LED on it, which is bent to be visible through the air vents.  I sent some photos up on the Atari Facebook page some time ago, but I'd be happy to take some more and give you all you need to get your's up and running.  I have the PCB's, leds, switches, colored switch caps....  Enough to make oh, maybe 25 or more.  I only needed 5, but you know how online buying is.  1 is as cheap as 50.  Mine just plugs into the Incognito and three wires lead under the card cage lid three inches to where you locate the board.

It might have been here I posted those shots.  Take a peek around this topic a couple of months ago.

best,

Jeff

I just ordered one myself, since I needed to order some other things {380 bucks later...)  So may send you a message later on if you still have any of these left.

49 minutes ago, jamm said:

Good news - my Polish caramel just arrived!

IMG_0827.jpg

Lotharek really has class.  Who does this these days?

This candy is, I think, a milk-based sweet we call "Dulce de Leche" here in Miami.  It is quite good.  I didn't want to unwrap the thing, but curiosity, and then hunger, got the best of me, every time I get something in the mail from him.

best,

Jeff

12 minutes ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

Lotharek really has class.  Who does this these days?

This candy is, I think, a milk-based sweet we call "Dulce de Leche" here in Miami.  It is quite good.  I didn't want to unwrap the thing, but curiosity, and then hunger, got the best of me, every time I get something in the mail from him.

best,

Jeff

Yes, it's definitely "dulce de leche" around these parts close to the Mexican border!  Not sure what the English equivalent to that is, except that Häagen-Dazs has dulce de leche ice cream, so maybe it's just dulce de leche......

1 hour ago, jamm said:

IMG_0827.jpg

The place I ordered my mcwill lynx mods and some other stuff from includes the old Fireball candy.  console5.com is the place.

I should be getting my Lotharek package tomorrow with the Incognito and other things!

Edited by leech

1 hour ago, ZuluGula said:

This candy is called "Krówki" and english equivalent would be toffee milk fudge. The name translates to "little cows". You can find them in USA if you have a polish neighborhood store in your area. 

Sure, but Häagen-Dazs have Krówki ice cream?  I base my life and interactions solely on Häagen-Dazs ice cream flavors...

Edited by jamm

2 hours ago, leech said:

The place I ordered my mcwill lynx mods and some other stuff from includes the old Fireball candy.  console5.com is the place.

I should be getting my Lotharek package tomorrow with the Incognito and other things!

Oooh.  Those are good.  The Atomic Fireball (tm).  Do they even CALL it that these days?  When I was a kid the wrapper had a mushroom cloud on it.  Definitely NOT PC.

Jeff

1 hour ago, jamm said:

Sure, but Häagen-Dazs have Krówki ice cream?  I base my life and interactions solely on Häagen-Dazs ice cream flavors...

Since my resurrection I've been slowly working through all the ice cream flavors with the word "butter" in them. ?

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Worley
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamm said:

Yes, it's definitely "dulce de leche" around these parts close to the Mexican border!  Not sure what the English equivalent to that is, except that Häagen-Dazs has dulce de leche ice cream, so maybe it's just dulce de leche......

There's a thing called "milk candy" that is analogous in the English-speaking world.

Jeff

4 hours ago, jamm said:

IMG_0827.jpg

SWEET!!

:-)))

Just remember to NEVER, ever plug it in any slot other than Slot-0 (Personality) and also make sure to vacate both cart. Ports (L & R) at any time you wish to  flash anything to it.

For the rest, get ready for a blast with the "Boss"!

4 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

SWEET!!

Just remember to NEVER, ever plug it in any slot other than Slot-0 (Personality) and also make sure to vacate both cart. Ports (L & R) at any time you wish to  flash anything to it.

That caramel is going to make a mess in slot-0, but I'll give it a try!

6 minutes ago, jamm said:

That caramel is going to make a mess in slot-0, but I'll give it a try!

It matches my older 800 in color already, the 'refurbished one' I recently got (because if I'm going to mod one, I have to keep one as original) is a little too light to match.  Maybe use the Caramel as a help button, since the 800 doesn't have one?  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2020 at 10:35 PM, Faicuai said:

SWEET!!

I wouldn't recommend plugging the candy into ANY slot.  It might make a fair insulator or pins protector, but the cleanup would be pretty tough.  Just eat the candy.

?

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice job!  I just finished buttoning up mine after getting an SCCC in there and (inadvertently) fixing the SIO problem on my power board.  I still have to go back in and add the disk swap switch (and get the SCCC's video output through the built-in DIN rather than the separate cable).