IGNORED

Incognito - Now's your chance!

19 minutes ago, rdefabri said:

Thanks!  What's the going rate for these?  I am looking at purchasing another 800, and I'd like to add one of these.

130.  I installed mine and it worked!  And I would say my skills are probably a 2 out of 5.

Edited by leech
  • Like 1

currently anywhere from 100.00 to 130.00 depending on who you buy them from and what configuration cpld/firmware BIOS you want. Although sometimes people have tried selling at 140-150 on ebay and marketplace

I will say TBA (Mothers home away from home) is the best choice for most... already upgraded, ready to install, good support, great customer care, and excellent installation if needed.

no need to buy programmers, cables, large software with all that jazz to get it working-driver hell-install it-etc etc.  do yourself the biggest favor buy it from The Brewing Academy if you are in the USA

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

Of course if you already have programmers, cables and large software with all that jazz, then you save $30 and upgrade yourself.;) Of course it depends on where you hail from and where you are ordering from; with today's crazy shipping you might actually save buying an upgraded vesion domestically, something to look into. Unless that includes shipping, I don't recall if we payed shipping or not with the pre-orders from Lotharek...?? It cost me an extra $20 for the upgrade anyway, that I donated directly to FJC, even though I'm installing myself.

Edited by Gunstar

21 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Of course if you already have programmers, cables and large software with all that jazz, then you save $30 and upgrade yourself.;) Of course it depends on where you hail from and where you are ordering from; with today's crazy shipping you might actually save buying an upgraded vesion domestically, something to look into. Unless that includes shipping, I don't recall if we payed shipping or not with the pre-orders from Lotharek...?? It cost me an extra $20 for the upgrade anyway, that I donated directly to FJC, even though I'm installing myself.

I've always found that most places that sell things have already figured out the magical ways of shipping for less, whereas us mere mortals shipping a computer off, especially overseas, if done through some places will cost a hell of a lot more than it's worth.  A good example of this was that I 3D printed up some eGPU cases for the Nova VME cards, in a fair trade for two of the cards for myself, though with the cost to ship, I could have just bought them!  But hey, at least it put my printer to a good use.  Sadly, just now it decided to do quite a few layers of the print I was doing, so I took a nap... to wake up to it having lost it's adhesion to the bed, and the print became a nasty mess, where I had to clean off the nozzle.

No matter how I type that, it sounds like it could be something inappropriate.  Ha!

20200330_211146.jpg

Edited by leech

On 3/30/2020 at 11:26 AM, leech said:

The landscape for the internet is weird.  You basically now have the choice of Firefox, or one of its many forks.  Or Webkit based browsers, which don't all have the same compatibility with each other.  Like I can use Safari or Chrome and get different results than say Epiphany.

Well, now I need to look up this firing of the CEO...

Well, ironically, my Opera browser developed an issue yesterday where it wouldn't start, and after checking for the issue and doing a system restore I couldn't get it to work anymore, so I guess it's just as well I'm looking for a new browser right now anyway. I used IE to find a list of all the currently supported browsers and I am currently online with SeaMonkey browser which seems fine for me so far, apparently one of those Firefox forks you spoke of. I will miss Opera's Speed dial bookmark system though, and now I will have to re-bookmark all my favorites if I choose to keep using SeaMonkey.

Edited by Gunstar

41 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Well, ironically, my Opera browser developed an issue yesterday where it wouldn't start, and after checking for the issue and doing a system restore I couldn't get it to work anymore, so I guess it's just as well I'm looking for a new browser right now anyway. I used IE to find a list of all the currently supported browsers and I am currently online with SeaMonkey browser which seems fine for me so far, apparently one of those Firefox forks you spoke of. I will miss Opera's Speed dial bookmark system though, and now I will have to re-bookmark all my favorites if I choose to keep using SeaMonkey.

Huh, are you lucky enough that Opera saves it's bookmarks in a file that can easily be imported?  I kind of thought SeaMonkey was just Firefox with developer tools enabled, right?  Oh, maybe it's the one that includes all the stuff from the old Netscape / Mozilla stuff before they split it into Firefox/Thunderbird, etc.  All the things should still work nicely then :)

Yeah, Netscape/Mozilla stuff. Originally I was a Netscape user, back in the 90's and early 2000's. I don't recall.  I'll have to see about the Opera Bookmarks, I may be able to transfer them, but I had too many to keep track of myself, having just recently moving them and dividing them into sub-folders. But the Speed dial isn't the same as the regular bookmarks which Opera has too. It's more like a Xbox 360/One or Windows 10 "desktop" windows where you save sites to "speed dial"

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if anyone else has discovered this nice thing about the Incognito.  It seems to be less picky on CF cards.  I have some Sandisk 4GB ones, that the SIDE2 just won't read.  Was trying to figure out what I did with the Kingston 8GB one I had in the SIDE2, because the Sandisk one I had sitting in the cart wouldn't read... then remembered I put it into the Incognito while I copied the files to the Sandisk, and hey the Sandisk one reads fine in the Incognito!  So the Kingston one went back into the SIDE2. 

Stupid finicky Compact Flash cards...

5 hours ago, adam1977 said:

I've just installed mine as per FJC's YouTube vid, it's only took me six months or so to get round to it ?

Next I need to sort the disk swap button out ?

That is where I am at.  I already have a crack in the top of the case, so I may route something through there.  Question, anyone know if it is possible to do an LED display showing what is loaded through it?  Like on a Gotek or something?  I also thought it would be goofy to get Alexa or something on it ?

'Alexa, load Bruce Lee'

• Like 1

I could probably manage to do the light pipe mod, but I quite fancy using the channel switch on the side as a swap button. I know the original switch can't be used, so I thought about using another type in it's place, i'll figure it out though ?

'Alexa, load Bruce Lee' - imagine that ?

49 minutes ago, adam1977 said:

I could probably manage to do the light pipe mod, but I quite fancy using the channel switch on the side as a swap button. I know the original switch can't be used, so I thought about using another type in it's place, i'll figure it out though ?

'Alexa, load Bruce Lee' - imagine that ?

Well they have FujuNet working with SAM, now I want it to respond instead of Alexa ha.

• Like 1

I'm finally getting around to my "had an Incognito for a long time, let's install it" stage :).   (After repairing an 800XL I'm feeling brave again).   

What cartridges don't work if you don't replace the RD4/RD5 pulldown resistors during the install?    I need to sort through my resistors and see if I have something adequate.. 

Additionaly, you may want to replace RD4/RD5 pulldown resistors to something ranging from 1.5k to 2.2kOhms. It will improove compatibility with cartridges, as protection resistors on Incognito board form with original ones voltage divider that may render some carts unusable.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Xebec said:

I'm finally getting around to my "had an Incognito for a long time, let's install it" stage :).   (After repairing an 800XL I'm feeling brave again).   

What cartridges don't work if you don't replace the RD4/RD5 pulldown resistors during the install?    I need to sort through my resistors and see if I have something adequate.. 

Additionaly, you may want to replace RD4/RD5 pulldown resistors to something ranging from 1.5k to 2.2kOhms. It will improove compatibility with cartridges, as protection resistors on Incognito board form with original ones voltage divider that may render some carts unusable.

At the time I put mine in, I used 2k ones as that is all I had, they seem to work fine, so 1.5k to 2.2k is great.

If your not using RF, it has no effect, I know people say don't use the original for a disk swap, but

I buffered mine with a small circuit and it works just fine (I did clean it first though)

There's a post from me on Page 28 of this thread with details

Edited by TGB1718
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

why would you do that, there is so much room inside the 800 and the case, you can do almost any upgrade stealth, just like the fine power light to key/switch mod... Perfect like it was meant to be.

I probably will eventually just do the power light mod, I just cringe about anything involving a drill.  I mean it isn't for PCBs, I just have a history with power tools...

On 4/13/2020 at 5:24 PM, leech said:

That is where I am at.  I already have a crack in the top of the case, so I may route something through there.  Question, anyone know if it is possible to do an LED display showing what is loaded through it?  Like on a Gotek or something?  I also thought it would be goofy to get Alexa or something on it ?

'Alexa, load Bruce Lee'

20200402_204928.thumb.jpg.9243afab0a38a62f380e43b62cbd7207.jpg20200402_205451.thumb.jpg.73ebc630134861ca4512b95b92de8928.jpg20200402_205500.thumb.jpg.4819fbea1e952455537d10c9a66c0228.jpg

20191230_222316.jpg