IGNORED

How to make proper label repro's?

sebastius

I've got some very badly damaged 2600 carts and I would like to make them look brand new again. They are not going to be for sale, and this is not some cheap trick to make a crappy version look like an ultra mint ultra rare game that is going to fetch me major bucks on ebay. ;)

I just want my games to look nice.

Does anyone have experience printing labels for this system? What type of label should I use, where to get proper files for the artwork (most in de atariage archives look somewhat too bright, or are damaged, or low res etc) and such.

I want those labels to look just like they were brand new. And yes, this is for my PRIVATE collection, and it involves mainly VERY common titles like Galaxian, Battlezone, Tennis and Freeway. Oh and my Red Label Space Invaders looks like crap as well...

I'd take a red label S.I. that looks like crap just to have one! :(

Well, this one really looks like utter and pure crap. Not only is the label severely damaged and discolored, the end label is even worse. Then there is a piece of the cart broken off and a whole section off the label is punched through to reach the screw, which had badly rusted and damaged the label even further.

Oh, and did i mention the coffey stains?

I've been thinking about this problem as well, Sebastian! I don't even own a laser printer, I have no clue what kind of paper/stickers to use, etc. There must be some way of doing it. Imagine if you could purchase brand new end labels and face labels for all your Actiplaqued Activision games! That would make a pretty hot seller....

I've been thinking about this problem as well, Sebastian! I don't even own a laser printer, I have no clue what kind of paper/stickers to use, etc. There must be some way of doing it. Imagine if you could purchase brand new end labels and face labels for all your Actiplaqued Activision games! That would make a pretty hot seller....

Activision carts didn't have seperate end lables :P

But thats a good point, I'd certainly buy new lables for my damaged carts if I could :)

Activision carts didn't have seperate end lables :P

But thats a good point, I'd certainly buy new lables for my damaged carts if I could :)

True enough! I never noticed that the Activision carts had the one continuous label. Most of my Activision carts look like they've been flushed through a septic tank a few times.....they're really quite gross!! :sad:

On my 'grocery list' are now:

glossy labels

high res scans of the original artwork

So now we need someone who can make proper scans of the labels, as high res as possible.

You'd need someone who has MINT copies for the label scans - unfortunately, most of my carts aren't scan-worthy. Most labels could stand to be replaced. It would be a tremendous undertaking for someone to scan their entire collection at high res, though, probably too much work unless you're an altruist or something. Hmm. Any ideas, guys? :ponder:

On my 'grocery list' are now:

glossy labels

high res scans of the original artwork

So now we need someone who can make proper scans of the labels, as high res as possible.

You'd need someone who has MINT copies for the label scans - unfortunately, most of my carts aren't scan-worthy. Most labels could stand to be replaced. It would be a tremendous undertaking for someone to scan their entire collection at high res, though, probably too much work unless you're an altruist or something. Hmm. Any ideas, guys? :ponder:

Well, most carts have already been scanned and are in the archives. Maybe a better sourcefile is on someones harddrive?

Also, Happy_Dude, that's a pretty damn good idea! I just need to boot Stella and print-screen it!

I hope to have some results later tonight. First some cleaning around here!

Wait a second! Check out this link:

http://www.ataricart.com/reprolabels.html#

Looks like the fellows over at AtariCart have beat you to the punch. All standard Activision labels are there, I think. Only there doesn't seem to be any way of downloading/purchasing them. Can Albert or anyone else comment on whether these repros will be available on the AtariAge store?

Wait a second! Check out this link:  

http://www.ataricart.com/reprolabels.html#

Looks like the fellows over at AtariCart have beat you to the punch. All standard Activision labels are there, I think. Only there doesn't seem to be any way of downloading/purchasing them. Can Albert or anyone else comment on whether these repros will be available on the AtariAge store?

At one time, there was a clipart CD being sold through the store that may have included these labels as part of the deal, but I don't see it in their inventory (unless I'm missing it). Your best bet would be to contact the guys over at AtariCart directly.

I dunno if these might help or not... they aren't complete. I did these in photoshop to use with my atari frontend.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ghlight=redraws

now that I actually have a real atari (7800) I've been looking into making repro labels for my activision carts that will have the end label included and be at a MUCH higher res for printing (aprox 1500x3000 or so).

as far as taking a screenshot of the game in progress for the screenshot part of the label, that is a good idea but, the screenshot on the label is an artists representation of the screenshot (sheesh) so if if you don't mind it looking other than original no problems. one good thing, the screenshots of old activision games are not hard to draw at all :) just a bunch of block gfx.

when it comes time for me to buy the paper I'll buy through these guys...

http://www.rippedsheets.com/inkjet/photogloss.html

they have what looks to be exactly what I'm looking for... the cast coat (versus resin) paper holds up very well to moisture and is water resistant and smearproof, AND they custom cut the labels (on adhesive stock of course) to whatever size you need, including the 1/8 inch radius rounded corners! :) I guess I'll spend around 40 bucks for 10 sheets, but what's a little money to be able to have great new atari labels :D probably be better than new ones if you don't care about rarity ;)

Is there something wrong with making repro labels from the label scans here at AtariAge?

A little Photoshop/GraphicConverter and printing to my cheapie Lexmark color printer using Avery Dennison full-page sticker paper (not too glossy but they look pretty good). Sometimes if the text is ragged on the printout a "type over" it with a downloaded Atari-like font.

Voch

Voch, I already tried that, and so, the text and everything on my brand new Space Invaders Red-Label looks near perfect. But the picture (the SI artwork) i got from the archives is too light (bright or whatever, it lacks color detail), and is too lossy (it being a jpeg).

Is there something wrong with making repro labels from the label scans here at AtariAge?  

Voch

hey! you can't do that! :P

actually I don't know where else you could get all the cart scans. some may not be the highest res (but they're not too low either) but they're all here :)

Jebus! That paper expensive for schmoes like me. Will that Clear Protective Spray look glossy and work nicely on cheapie Avery Dennison label paper (which makes GREAT labels except they're not glossy)?

EDIT: I looked at the short-run prices that include cutting, etc. 90 cents/page is more reasonable (I wouldn't need 500, though). Duh on me.

Voch

actually I don't know where else you could get all the cart scans.  some may not be the highest res (but they're not too low either) but they're all here :)

That's OK. My printer is crappy, anyway. :) I'll try take a pic of my cart with the homemade Spider Fighter label when I get home later tonight (of course, my digital camera is crap, too...)

Voch

well I don't know about your camera (mine is not the best either but not bad) but if you can hold it steady enough or set it on something then taking a pic in real light without the auto flash will greatly impove the quality :)

I think that protective spay will work on anything, pastel artists use something similar on thier artwork to keep the chalk from smearing.

oh! and the pricing there includes custom cutting :) unless you're ordering long-run.... so it's only 3.84 per sheet :ponder: did I say only?

the thing to do would be to go in on an order with someone who'd be willing to help pay for some labels.

Here's a pic of my Spider Fighter repro label. It was printed using a jpeg from the AtariAge label page onto an Avery white full sheet label (part #8165) using my Lexmark Z35 printer and Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1 for Mac OS X. It's next to my mint-condition copy of Freeway for comparison.

I don't think Spider Fighter is too washed out as it's supposed to be orange, but I could have printed it a little darker. Also, the little text needs some touching-up or overtyping.

labelssm.jpg

Click on the image for a bigger picture.

Voch

Well, i've got some pixelart now (i've made a screenshot of Freeway in Stella, and i'm using the cars etc from it as an overlay on the original screenshot, to match position and colors). When those are done i'm moving on to the freeway.

Maybe tomorrow-ish we'll have some proper freeway art...

Does anyone have that Activision logo in High Res? And what fonts are used for the rest of the label?

[edit] I've just vectorized the truck and the car for even better high res clarity...

Archived