IGNORED

HRD 4000B

Ksarul

1 hour ago, apersson850 said:

That I could very much believe in. Do you want me to look up the small DSR I wrote, that is compatible with the p-system? Or some verbal description? Both, maybe?

Here's a link to a post where I described what the issue is.

Ah, right under my nose, so to speak.  I will post a response in the development topic. I found my notes and what might be as solution for the PCODE system, provided my assumptions are correct. 

Updated Horizon Ramdisk User Manual, with a copy uploaded to Github. 

The next ROS and/or CFG release will be version 8.43, to address a few of the logged issues since 8.42c. 

And to loosely paraphrase Scotty, there will be "no bloody a,b,c or d" nor other letters of the alphabet added to future version numbers.

HORIZON RAMDISK USER OPERATING MANUAL 9-12-2023.pdf

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

The voltage requirements for the charging circuit are the same, so they shouldn't cause you any issues.

9 hours ago, NewcomerTI said:

This may have been asked but can I use AAA NiMH batteries in place of NiCAD ones on the board?

I’m not quite there yet but wanted to get anyone’s take on their use in this application.

thank you in advance 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 8:45 PM, Ksarul said:

I'm attaching the final version (along with the schematics) here. Hopefully that helps you and others building their own boards.

HRD 4000B Construction Guide (Final-2).pdf 4.53 MB · 108 downloads A3-Horizon 4000B RAMDisk Schematics (Final-1).pdf 300.3 kB · 101 downloads

I added these two documents to Github and updated the wiki links.  

I will upload previous guides and manuals that I have collected. I'll post another reply when that happens, and if someone has additional files or better copies of the same file(s), I would be more than happy to add/replace. 

I've been asked about the Scotty reference; here is the relevant clip from Star Trek The Next Generation episode Relics.  I have fond memories of meeting Mr. Doohan at a Gencon convention in Milwaukee, where he stayed 45+ minutes after closing to see all of us who were still waiting in line to meet him.  I have the card and photo he signed that day. Such a gracious person. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Now I smoke tested my bare board when said to in the construction manual and I didn’t let any smoke out of the PEB or the card - so I started populating the chips and getting ready to run the MEMTEST.  

I saw the MEMTEST folder on the ftp site and downloaded it.

I need some instruction on what file to run - perhaps a step by step since I’m somewhat of newbie at this sort of thing. Run on EA5 ??? RTEA_HRX I’m assuming. I tried and it errored - perhaps I don’t have the needed file yet.  Help is needed and appreciated!

I populated the board with all the chips and got the console turned on and in running cfg1 I get the unit to recognize the Horizon card only it won’t load the ROS.  Something on the board seems to be hanging it up to recognize the disk controller and RS232/pio boards.  When you turn the switch off to make it invisible it ‘sees’ the other boards.  I don’t think I have the ROS842 file loaded correctly or it wouldn’t behave like this since my other two RAM boards don’t handshake with the system as this one does. They show the other boards ‘ok’!  The other boards also load the ROS completely as the manual explains and ‘work’. Likely I’m not loading something off my disks in the proper sequence - so any help would be appreciated and might make this RAM board install go smoothly. Incidentally, the front LED on the RAM card illuminates steadily after accessing the proper drive number(s) but Errors out in the screens then reports ‘ No ROS loaded ‘

IMG_2601.jpeg

Please be aware that your CFG program is one or two revisions behind, based on the date shown in the screenshot.  See the link below to the 27 March 2020 release in the first post. 

I doubt the older CFG has anything to do with what looks like a hardware issue, but it can't hurt to test with the most recent software.  What other cards are in your system besides this naughty Ramdisk? 

• Like 1

There are a couple of cards in the PEB that I purchased back from Cecure when I upgraded to a PEB back in the day.  A MBP clock is in the one system and the rs232 card and floppy disk controller.  The other system just has a floppy controller, rs232 card and 32 k memory card until I upgrade the HRD 4000b with the chip once I get things sorted with the card. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewcomerTI said:

There are a couple of cards in the PEB that I purchased back from Cecure when I upgraded to a PEB back in the day.  A MBP clock is in the one system and the rs232 card and floppy disk controller.  The other system just has a floppy controller, rs232 card and 32 k memory card until I upgrade the HRD 4000b with the chip once I get things sorted with the card. 

Seems like a simple enough configuration to test the Horizon. Check the chips for correct orientation and inspect for any missing or wrongly-installed components.  @FALCOR4 or @Ksarul may have some better suggestions related to why this card seems visible at all times.  In the meantime, be sure to grab the latest software.  I'll be releasing a new CFG soon, but it doesn't contain any fixes that will benefit your described systems. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Making some progress. Still card is visible ‘all’ the time but the extraneous or ‘phantom’ card addresses are gone. CFG1 when ran gives two scenarios - it will hang the system on the PEB with the TI controller - the other system with the Corcomp DS DD controller performs a system restart. But will not load a ROS.

IMG_3208.jpeg

6 minutes ago, NewcomerTI said:

the time but the extraneous or ‘phantom’ card addresses are gone. CFG1 when ran gives two scenarios - it will hang the system on the PEB with the TI controller - the other system with the Corcomp DS DD controller performs a system restart. But will not load a ROS

Fyi, This version of CFG is one rev older than the ‘current’ release. See my previous post.  

Good progress.   Do you have an RS232 in the system?   The Geneve rompage entry should not be there for a /4a system.  What cards were in the PEB when you took the picture. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewcomerTI said:

The RS232 and disk controller show up with the RAM card off.IMG_3211.thumb.jpeg.0dbe4b38276cb16b7a20c10606d7c233.jpeg

Its when the RAM card is on that the Geneve ROM page shows that it’s in the ‘system’.

what are your jumpers setup on the ramdisk, are you sure you don't have the phoenix split mode operating on the card.

image.thumb.png.1de4cd242ea0e8f32a74ce9f7acc3a5d.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewcomerTI said:

I took the chips out of the sockets and resoldered each of the LS244 socket pins - but it still shows the Geneve ROMpage instead of the RS232 and PIO 

Did you test the 74LS244 Ic's, to be sure their functioning correctly. Maybe change them with the other 4000 and see if it fixes this one and makes that one behave as this one is?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NewcomerTI said:

I changed out the LS244 chips and got the same results as before.  I will check the other chips to determine if one of these is causing the fault. 

I'd change out every IC, one at a time, excluding the meory IC's. You may find one is bad and have it narrowed to that one. Did you build these recently? I've built three, One over 20 years ago, 2 about 2 years ago.