IGNORED

Discuss The Inside World by KrakenDev

The Another World look is totally present even if the level has nothing to see with the Eric Chahi game.

It looks beautiful and I really encourage you to develop the game more and more and more :)

Let's say it is very promising!

Thank you for sharing this!

Attached is the LYX rom to use with Agacart (converted by myself)

TheInsideWorld.lyx

Edited by Felyx

This one looks pretty exciting.  I really hope you're able to finish it.  If you can build out several levels, it will be on par with or better than many commercial releases during the Lynx's run.  I don't intend any insult by that at all... I just have the utmost respect for people who can build out an interesting game because to me, the creativity to build good levels is the hardest part.  I can do sprites, but interesting level design is something I'm very weak at.  ;-)

I definitely overestimate my capacity to work late in the evening in the past 2 weeks (this is actually when I start working on the project). After 11pm, I'm out... Getting old I guess :)

So running out of time I went for the simplest GP I could come up with, focusing on the "background mega texture" (tm :D) tech instead.

We'll see what if develops into, but I really intend to have an another world kind of game at the end since this is definitely missing on the Lynx.

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

I definitely overestimate my capacity to work late in the evening in the past 2 weeks (this is actually when I start working on the project). After 11pm, I'm out... Getting old I guess :)

So running out of time I went for the simplest GP I could come up with, focusing on the "background mega texture" (tm :D) tech instead.

We'll see what if develops into, but I really intend to have an another world kind of game at the end since this is definitely missing on the Lynx.

Does that mean this version is as far as it will go for this game? I know the person who was running that 40th anniversary site mentioned towards a week after submission would send the final versions all converted for play and I was wondering if you're would be done or not. 

Also I do agree an Another World type game on the lynx would be a first day purchase for me!

It will be more polished, many more movements, different enemy waves and maybe even a boss, but it will only be this 1 level of the game. Kind of a demo in a way. But now that I have the setup and the tech, and potentially one artist helping me (still in discussion ahah), I'm confident this will turn into a much longuer and polished game :)

For sure at the moment there is not that much to do in your first draft ofInside World by like other said already: it is really cool to feel the Another World ambiant on our Lynx and the graphics are really cool. This is why we really hope you can go further with that ?

• Like 1

Final submission sent, I couldn't fix as much as I wanted (3 years old jumping around the house is definitely not the best setup :D).

I'm happy I could add a mini script engine that will be of great help later to give the game some "cinematic" feeling.

Apart from that I add new animations and redraw some sprites.

What this submission is still missing:

- still no sound and music (well I had some but a last minute crash made me remove them)

- diagonal fire still buggy (simply didn't have time to fix it, I'm not using the sprite collision buffer, and I didn't want intensive maths, so I had to be smart and smartness left me apparently last week :D)

- no game over

- no boss

I'm planning in the next couple of days, without stress, to fix all of these.

Also there might be something bigger around the corner for this game, stay tuned :)

Thanks to all organisators, I had a lot of fun (and a couple of long nights)!

Great job to all participants, the quality was insane, and it's really motivating to see the level of this competition!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for making this. As the bugs/bits move in a very predictable up/down pattern it was fairly simple to shoot them all by just walking back and forth. I did find out that the control system works well as a mixture of fast/slow moving and diagonal up/go down shooting. It took a while to get it but I like the control system. You should definitely keep this.

The graphics is nice. Smooth walking.

Other than that. The game is short.

For a game like this some coffee shop relaxation music could be fun. You could also leave it as a full 2D game. The box could be an obstacle or it could make giant jumps from one side of the screen to the another until all the bugs are killed. A little like in 2D games where you cannot pass the enemy. Making it 3D would ruin the controls - don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...