IGNORED

Defender 2000

ultravi0let

Umm, I'd just destroy the game if it came down to it. ;)  Less expensive in the long run. :D

I'd have to say Destroy the Jaguar. Check ebay, whats easier and cheaper to buy? D2K or a Jaguar? :)

I know it took me a while to get hold of D2k.. But I have had 4 Jags so far :)

It's a disapointing game.It could have been done on the SNES.64 Bit my ass.

BS, I don't think the SNES could handle the color palette, resolution and speed that Defender 2000 runs at. The sound and music also wouldn't be as rich sounding on the SNES. When you get all the power-ups in Defender 2000 and have like six guys hanging from your ship and the screen is filled with multiple baddies(this is when D2k is the most fun), there would be mega slowdown on the SNES.

Get it on Lassie! :D

Defender 2000 is what happens when the Yak is allowed to develop without his leash on.

As others have already said, the D2K variant is a mess. I'd really like to know how Jeff thought it would be a good idea to combine double-sized sprites with double-speed gameplay. One or the other I could see... but the two together is a recipe for gameplay hell. The enemies don't look anything like their classic equivalents, and the new ones look like something out of a Monty Python cartoon. As far as gameplay goes, it's just a race against time to gather enough powerups to survive before some random enemy smashes into you, at which point the powerups play the game for you. Blech. Yuck. Spew.

Defender Classic annoyed me too, since Jeff intentionally put in effects and sounds which were not present in the original. Apparently he missed the memo that the entire point of a "classic" mode is to reproduce the original as closely as possible. But apparently that's a little too much clarity of purpose for our favorite stoner.

I agree wholeheartedly with this review. It also mentions a little-known game called Strike Force, which I've played in MAME a few times and highly recommend any Defender fan try out. It's the game that Defender 2000 should have been.

And you know, it's interesting the things you find on the net when searching for other things.

Defender 2000 is what happens when the Yak is allowed to develop without his leash on.

I think the trouble is that Yak makes games that Yak likes to play, and when this overlaps with the general gaming public all is well. Trouble is he seems to have the reflexes of a hyperactive 4-year-old on crack, which is hardly helpful for us mere mortals ;)

And you know, it's interesting the things you find on the net when searching for other things.

:lol::lol::lol:

Stone

I think the trouble is that Yak makes games that Yak likes to play, and when this overlaps with the general gaming public all is well. Trouble is he seems to have the reflexes of a hyperactive 4-year-old on crack, which is hardly helpful for us mere mortals ;)

Stone

This does not bode well for his Gamecube outing.

Def 2K is pretty fun I think, it's not that kid of game you say "I want to play Def 2K" No you will tell the entire jaguar games list before saying "Hey why not Dek 2K" . so youp lay Def 2k.

You are going to become angryfire.gif

you wish to pcangry.gif but you cannot giving up to play, you must play ubntil the "gameover" and every time you saying to yourself "at last my last lfe" you're earning a new one firedevil.gif.

This make it so fun just like tempest 2000, or Protector.

Stone

I guess I must have those same hyperactive 4-year-old on crack reflexes then.

Not at all, Atari upper management were on his back all the time he was writing it, telling him stupid things like "make the sprites bigger" so it would look more "64-bit-y". The game is the product of managers in suits far more than it is Yaks work. Yak, like all good developers, spends ages working on the playtesting and balance of a game, making sure its not too dificult or too easy or too fast. The ships I believe were ment to be lots smaller, but the men in suits insisted they were bigger because that proves the Jag is capable of pushing huge sprites arround at blistering speeds. However, as is allways the way with managers of any variety, they totally failed to realise that not everything that can be done, should be done.

What's your source for this? In all the updates at his website where he talked about the progress on D2K, he always sounded terribly pleased with himself.

Umm... to be honest I cant remember. I read it somewhere Im sure, I think he was proud of it dispite having the managers on his back telling him to change things, but since I cant remember where I read it, I cant back any of this up sorry, perhaps someone else can?

What's your source for this? In all the updates at his website where he talked about the progress on D2K, he always sounded terribly pleased with himself.

Umm... to be honest I cant remember. I read it somewhere Im sure, I think he was proud of it dispite having the managers on his back telling him to change things, but since I cant remember where I read it, I cant back any of this up sorry, perhaps someone else can?

I can't comment specifically on D2K (though I vaguely recall his on-line development log, I think this was back when I was at uni') but I got the impression he was very pleased with the guy at Atari (Bill Rehbock?) who managed him, something along the lines of being allowed a lot of freedom and respecting him (Bill) for that. I think this was in an interview in Edge magazine, which I'll have a look for, I've got it somewhere.

Umm, I'd just destroy the game if it came down to it. ;)  Less expensive in the long run. :D

I'd have to say Destroy the Jaguar. Check ebay, whats easier and cheaper to buy? D2K or a Jaguar? :)

I know it took me a while to get hold of D2k.. But I have had 4 Jags so far :)

Good point.. ;)

*smashes D2k anyway :twisted: *

:D

• 3 weeks later...

So i snagged a copy cheap, to check it out and wow, for a YAK game what a disappointment.Everyone is right the proportions are totally wrong unless they were going for the whole closer to the ground effect, opposed to the higher alltitude in the classic mode. But I would say rental if possible LMAO . Played it for about 10 mins and shut it off . What the hell is with the big azz ship ?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think that anyone who only gives a game a try for about ten minutes and decides it sucks (considering there is no way a person can even begin to get good at a game in ten min.) is no better than the lame "professional" reviewers who pass judgement without giving a game a real chance. It's a major pet peave of mine and I never pay attnetion to the opinions of reviews, or users, with an attitude like that. Games MUST be given a bit more time before being judged. IMHO. :sad:

Archived