IGNORED

Wanted: A/V Modified 5200 Console

Albert

I'm looking for an A/V modified 5200 console.  Ideally one with composite, s-video and audio outputs (I'd be hooking this up to a Commodore 1702, which only has composite and chroma/luma video inputs).  I'd also be interested if someone could take a stock system and install an A/V mod.  If you can help me out, please let me know.

Thanks,

..Al

Albert asked me to do this, but I've got one console I'm finishing up now and another arriving on Friday. So I couldn't be sure I could get him a 5200 ready in time for PRGE. If I didn't work a normal day job it would be fine, but I make it a policy to not have more than two consoles at a time to be worked on. That way it doesn't pile up on me and I can be sure to get them back to the clients in time.

I feel bad because I offered my assistance for just this about 2 months back but didn't hear from Al until recently so I figured he had someone else on these and went ahead and scheduled other work.

Having said that... Al I'm going to send you a PM on something else...

7 hours ago, DrVenkman said:

He made an appearance last week to say he’d finished home renovations and would be more active again. 

In the interim, he licensed production of his UAV video boards to @MacRorie  

I was going to mention that MacRorie was selling them on his site. I noticed them when I bought an UNO from him recently.

2 hours ago, Shawn said:

I was going to mention that MacRorie was selling them on his site. I noticed them when I bought an UNO from him recently.

Correct, The Brewing Academy now sells and usually has UAVs on hand. Again I feel bad because I actually have a full kit version UAV specifically for a 5200 that I could have used. But again due to lack of time between now and PRGE along with other commissions I'm currently working on I just didn't want to chance it not being ready for Al. But I think I've come up a with an option for him that I've discussed with him already.

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Albert asked me to do this, but I've got one console I'm finishing up now and another arriving on Friday. So I couldn't be sure I could get him a 5200 ready in time for PRGE. If I didn't work a normal day job it would be fine, but I make it a policy to not have more than two consoles at a time to be worked on. That way it doesn't pile up on me and I can be sure to get them back to the clients in time.

I feel bad because I offered my assistance for just this about 2 months back but didn't hear from Al until recently so I figured he had someone else on these and went ahead and scheduled other work.

You don't need to feel bad at all, I didn't have time to go through all my systems and test them until last night.  That's when I discovered one of my A/V-modified 5200 systems wasn't working.  The 5200 has to be Atari's most fragile system, followed by the 7800.  Although I did find various problems with five of the 20 or so 2600 consoles I tested, and I sent them off, along with the problem 5200, to someone in Portland so he can troubleshoot and fix them.  This is all my fault for running that sale in the store that ended at the beginning of last month, which I'm still not completely caught up on...

I have a whole bunch of other 5200 consoles in storage.  Next year I need to dig those up, test them, and see which ones are most suitable for A/V modification.  I may get a UAV from MacRorie and see how difficult it is to install.  I've installed A/V mods in various systems before (and I do an enormous amount of soldering and have a Hakko FR-300 for desoldering) so it shouldn't be too difficult.  It does take valuable time, though, which is a rather precious commodity at the moment!!

..Al

It isn't supposed to be that difficult to install the UAV into a 5200, but it ends up being kinda a pain because to make sure it works 100%. You still need to keep the 4050 chip in circuit. That means having to solder it to the UAV in someway if you still plan to have clearance for the RF shield. And yes, I still attach the RF shields whenever possible. If you don't solder it as close to the UAV as possible, then it sits too high to clear with the RF in place. UAVs also do NOT provide audio so you have to wire that separately. I just use a 2k resistor and 10uf 16v cap off of the top leg from R50 to capture the audio and run that dual mono to my RCAs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Albert said:

You don't need to feel bad at all, I didn't have time to go through all my systems and test them until last night.  That's when I discovered one of my A/V-modified 5200 systems wasn't working.  The 5200 has to be Atari's most fragile system, followed by the 7800.  Although I did find various problems with five of the 20 or so 2600 consoles I tested, and I sent them off, along with the problem 5200, to someone in Portland so he can troubleshoot and fix them.  This is all my fault for running that sale in the store that ended at the beginning of last month, which I'm still not completely caught up on...

I have a whole bunch of other 5200 consoles in storage.  Next year I need to dig those up, test them, and see which ones are most suitable for A/V modification.  I may get a UAV from MacRorie and see how difficult it is to install.  I've installed A/V mods in various systems before (and I do an enormous amount of soldering and have a Hakko FR-300 for desoldering) so it shouldn't be too difficult.  It does take valuable time, though, which is a rather precious commodity at the moment!!

..Al

I'm more than sure you could install the UAV in a 5200.

• 2 weeks later...