IGNORED

PlusCart (an inexpensive DIY WiFi multicart)

Al_Nafuur

16 hours ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

I love the PlusCart for development. Personally, I think uploading a ROM to the server then loading it into the PlusCart over wifi is far more convenient than removing an SD card from a cart, inserting the SD card into my computer, adding the ROM to the SD card, removing the SD card from the computer and re-inserting it into the cartridge.

If you are using a WebDAV client like the nextcloud client you can copy your ROM to your local "/MyROMs/" folder (maybe automatically via your build script) and it will be uploaded by the WebDAV client instantaneously.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks for the answers.

I'm asking because I've been gifted a 2600+ for my birthday (obviously preordered, not received it yet), and I was looking for a way to try things like demoscene productions and homebrew games, and even try to do a small something on the machine myself.
I guess the multi-cart type not working is because of the "rom grabber" system, which only supports simple rom cartridges without any advanced features?

17 minutes ago, Dbug said:

I guess the multi-cart type not working is because of the "rom grabber" system, which only supports simple rom cartridges without any advanced features?

Yup. Maybe a SD-Cart reader via USB will work, but that's speculation.

I guess we will know for sure what can be done in a week or so, when people receive theirs and start tinkering with the system.
I've heard contradictory information regarding the cartridge support, some people said it was just doing a checksum and using some internal stored version of the game in some ROM, while some other are saying that it does use the checksum to detect some known setups and apply patches or something but actually download the actual content and uses it.

12 minutes ago, Dbug said:

I guess we will know for sure what can be done in a week or so, when people receive theirs and start tinkering with the system.
I've heard contradictory information regarding the cartridge support, some people said it was just doing a checksum and using some internal stored version of the game in some ROM, while some other are saying that it does use the checksum to detect some known setups and apply patches or something but actually download the actual content and uses it.

Don't get your hopes up about PlusCart support on the 2600+ at the moment -- I tested my own PlusCart (and Concerto, and Harmony Encore) on the 2600+ at PRGE and they did not work.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dbug said:

That's definitely fake news. It would be an option, but would lead to all kinds of legal implications.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That's definitely fake news. It would be an option, but would lead to all kinds of legal implications.

By download I meant "copies the cartridge content down to the memory in the console", sorry for the wording.

26 minutes ago, Dbug said:

By download I meant "copies the cartridge content down to the memory in the console", sorry for the wording.

If that would be possible, then the problem would not exist. But the dumper cannot see cart internal only data. So it cannot dump (or "download") it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MrZarniwoop said:

The 3D-printed carts you used to have were amazing.

2 minutes ago, Bomberman94 said:

@Al_Nafuur no more nice blue shells? 😢

They were made by @Andrew Davie. I don't know if he is still making them, but you can ask him at his new forum

https://woodgrain.taswegian.com/index.php

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

PlusStore's nextcloud version has been updated from v26 to v27. I have not updated to v28 yet, because our music player app for the SuperCharger is not compatible with nextcloud v28.

If anyone notices any difficulties with v27, please report them here.

• Like 3

On 1/26/2024 at 2:09 PM, Al_Nafuur said:

PlusStore's nextcloud version has been updated from v26 to v27. I have not updated to v28 yet, because our music player app for the SuperCharger is not compatible with nextcloud v28.

The music player app has been updated yesterday, so I just updated to nextcloud v28.

On 1/26/2024 at 2:09 PM, Al_Nafuur said:

If anyone notices any difficulties with v27, please report them here.

If anyone notices any difficulties with v28, please report them here.

@Al_Nafuur It seems that you can only control the menu with a joystick in the left port. Or am I wrong here?

If not, it would be nice to also enable control via right port too, which is particularly usefull when playing e.g. paddle games. Support for using the menu with other controllers (e.g. paddles) would also be nice.

47 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

@Al_Nafuur It seems that you can only control the menu with a joystick in the left port. Or am I wrong here?

You are wrong here ;-)

@electrotrains already added controlling the menu with the select and reset switches

47 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

If not, it would be nice to also enable control via right port too, which is particularly usefull when playing e.g. paddle games. Support for using the menu with other controllers (e.g. paddles) would also be nice.

👍 Second joystick would be much better than the console switches.

• Like 2