IGNORED

PlusCart (an inexpensive DIY WiFi multicart)

Al_Nafuur

2 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Anyone with a PlusCart have Xfinity internet? I finally got a new router which got my PlusCarts working again. But now they do not report high scores.....

Can't you determine if it's your ISP simply by using your phone (NOT connected to your WiFi, but via 4G for example) as a hotspot? That way you're bypassing Xfinity and can see how well the PlusCart works via an alternate connection.

2 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

I have really bad cell service in my rural area, but yeah it seems to work fine on the hotspot. So there is no way for this cart to work on certain ISP's?

This test suggests that there is something your ISP is doing to the connection/requests that is unusual.  Next step is to identify what's actually happening there. 

2 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

I have really bad cell service in my rural area, but yeah it seems to work fine on the hotspot. So there is no way for this cart to work on certain ISP's?

Is your router located far away from your Atari? I had an issue with scores not being reported, although the PlusCart menu said I was connected, and installing a repeater (using an old router) in the same room as my Atari fixed the problem.

FWIW, one of my favorite things about the PlusCart is that it gives me a reason to play games I probably would have skipped over or would not devote significant time to (particularly HSC games). Virtual "patches" are a really nice touch. Thank you to everyone who has worked on this.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Just curious what changes you will see if you move them further apart. Can you try the Atari in a different room?

Ok played a bunch of games in the garage, as far away from the router I can get. No change, no worse, no better. Some games like Tapper has not recorded any of my scores while most other games it is maybe 50/50 if it will post the score.

17 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Its seems like if the cart flashes blue at end of game, it posts a score, No blue flash at game end, no score.

yes, if the persistent connection is lost and could not be reconnected by the ESP8266 there will be no flash of the LED.

Edited by Al_Nafuur

8 hours ago, spspspsp said:

I think there may be a bug in the Tapper HSC rom (NTSC).

Specifically, can someone double check that the correct difficulty is being reported by the ROM? 

When I sat down today to play "Intermediate," my score was reported under "Arcade."

"Intermediate" and "Arcade" have been swapped in the variation list.

@Omegamatrix I rearranged the tapper variation list. Because the left switch is bit 6 and the right is bit 7, the order of the variation list array differs from the description order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enter to win a PlusCart on the Atari 2600 Game by Game Podcast!

Listen to the Tooth Protectors episode of the Atari 2600 Game by Game Podcast that came out today, Ferg covers how to enter to win at the end of the show

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b/4/0/b40d9af78d550949/Tooth_Protectors_by_DSD-Camelot.mp3?c_id=93337448&cs_id=93337448&expiration=1610583008&hwt=33a1f44ee9440cf8238a618f9fa86b1e

I also made a video about the contest and the PlusCart you can win

Enter by Feb. 7th 2021

Listen to the Early Feb. episode of the 2600 Game by Game Podcast to see if you won.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Enter to win a PlusCart on the Atari 2600 Game by Game Podcast!

Listen to the Tooth Protectors episode of the Atari 2600 Game by Game Podcast that came out today, Ferg covers how to enter to win at the end of the show

https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/b/4/0/b40d9af78d550949/Tooth_Protectors_by_DSD-Camelot.mp3?c_id=93337448&cs_id=93337448&expiration=1610583008&hwt=33a1f44ee9440cf8238a618f9fa86b1e

I also made a video about the contest and the PlusCart you can win

Enter by Feb. 7th 2021

Listen to the Early Feb. episode of the 2600 Game by Game Podcast to see if you won.

This is a really cool piece of tech. Good luck to all who enter...can't wait to compete for high scores against the winner.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got my PlusCart the other day and tried it today. I had to boot a few times for my SSID to come up (mostly, the site survey was full of blank SSIDs and SSIDs from neighbors) but mine did come up eventually. The password entry is a bit funky, and my password is pretty complex, but it does work. Let's just say that that I am glad you only have to do this once. Great job everyone! Really impressive piece of hardware.

On 1/7/2021 at 5:14 PM, Fierodoug5 said:

Anyone with a PlusCart have Xfinity internet? I finally got a new router which got my PlusCarts working again. But now they do not report high scores.....

I just got my PlusCart and I have Xfinity, and it seems to have taken my high scores (albeit as "unknown pluscart user 87" or something.) I am not sure yet how to register my name :) I entered my name in the setup, but apparently you need to do more than that?

1 hour ago, batari said:

I just got my PlusCart and I have Xfinity, and it seems to have taken my high scores (albeit as "unknown pluscart user 87" or something.) I am not sure yet how to register my name :) I entered my name in the setup, but apparently you need to do more than that?

Hope I get this right;

You go to the plusstore website, register there with username/email, and then you connect to the plusstore via the cart and entering your username. That is sufficient for the cart to contact the store and associate itself correctly with your account. Then you get a confirmation email, and you go to the plusstore again and see a list of your carts -- which you must enable via a press of the little arrow to switch mode on/off for each cart.

Hit me up if you're having issues. The functionality is significantly more when you've gone through this.

1 hour ago, batari said:

... it's explained very well in the video in post #591 above.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

... it's explained very well in the video in post #591 above.

OK, I will do this when I get a chance.

By the way, what are the technical details about how to modify games to get them to work with the HSC, and what the submission guidelines for modified games? I can't seem to find this information.

17 minutes ago, batari said:

OK, I will do this when I get a chance.

By the way, what are the technical details about how to modify games to get them to work with the HSC, and what the submission guidelines for modified games? I can't seem to find this information.

Are you a member of the PlusCart User Club/forum?  I think there's information there on that.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Are you a member of the PlusCart User Club/forum?  I think there's information there on that.

@Andrew Davie invitation sent yesterday,

@batari should be in your notifications.

Edited by Al_Nafuur

28 minutes ago, batari said:

the HSC was just a PoC for the PlusROM functions. It now has grown to a sort of a "community" project where @Omegamatrix, @Thomas Jentzsch, @Dionoid have contributed. Omegamatrix is currently doing most of the database administration (and I think he is also the one who has modified the most ROMs)

Edited by Al_Nafuur
  • Like 1