IGNORED

UnoCart firmware update(s)

DirtyHairy

6 hours ago, Pob said:

I'm a bit confused by the talk of unified firmware between Pluscart and Unocart.

Is it possible to use Pluscart firmware on a standard Unocart, and if so, is it just done via the update.bin?

And, would this use the same selection interface as on the Pluscart, that displays longer filenames?

3 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

I doubt it would work. The menu might look nicer, but you couldn't select anything, because the firmware want to load ROMs via Wifi and not from SD cart.

The most recent UnoCart build of the common code base can be found here:

It must be flashed with an ST-link programmer, because the binary is not compatible with the UnoCart ACE based firmware updater. (although it would be possible to build such a file)

The common code base firmware updater can be used to update from SD card after the new firmware is flashed, but it can not be used to go back to v17.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_Nafuur said:

The most recent UnoCart build of the common code base can be found here:

It must be flashed with an ST-link programmer, because the binary is not compatible with the UnoCart ACE based firmware updater. (although it would be possible to build such a file)

The common code base firmware updater can be used to update from SD card after the new firmware is flashed, but it can not be used to go back to v17.

Thanks, Al.

Can I just confirm that it functions fully with a UNOcart, as an alternative to v17, and allows loading ROMs from SD card?

If so, how does one go about getting an ACE based version?

20 hours ago, Pob said:

Thanks, Al.

you are welcome.

20 hours ago, Pob said:

Can I just confirm that it functions fully with a UNOcart, as an alternative to v17, and allows loading ROMs from SD card?

I can't confirm that it is working with every (or your) SD-Card. The only people that have some experience with the UnoCart and PlusCart Duo build are @Fierodoug5  and @Andrew Davie

20 hours ago, Pob said:

If so, how does one go about getting an ACE based version?

I have no experience here too, but I think you basically need the FirmwareUpdater here:

https://github.com/DirtyHairy/UnoCart-2600/tree/master/source/STM32firmware/FirmwareUpdater

and give him the binary/elf-file to build the update.bin..

2 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I can't confirm that it is working with every (or your) SD-Card. The only people that have some experience with the UnoCart and PlusCart Duo build are @Fierodoug5  and @Andrew Davie

My UnoCart is running PlusCart firmware 2.0.0a and is working OK.  I just booted it to confirm, and loaded a binary to test.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

If you watched the Nov 24th ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream, then you know a new version of firmware for the Uno and Plus carts is in the works. Today I'm happy to announce the beta availability of version 2.3.14 of the common firmware for the UnoCart.

New Features

• Relocatable ELF file format
    • Allows a single bin file that can be used with Chameleon, Uno, and Plus carts.
    • Bus stuffing support
  • ACE-UF00 file format
  • Menu option to disable/enable exit on Right+Reset. This option defaults to enabled when system is powered off and then on again.
  • Reduced loading times of ACE format files

17to2.3.14.bin- Upgrades from v17 of the original Uno firmware to v2.3.14 of the new common codebase firmware. DO NOT POWER OFF UNTIL "UPDATE COMPLETE" IS SHOWN

UnoCart_2.3.14.binUnoCart_2.3.14.elf- Files to program directly with ST-LINK. Useful if you did not heed the warning above and bricked your cart :)

UnifiedToLegacy17.ace- Downgrade from v2.3.14 or higher of the common codebase firmware back to the original Unocart firmware. Just in case you want/need to roll back the upgrade.

Here's a link to the show in case you missed it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 12/10/2022 at 4:52 AM, ZackAttack said:

If you watched the Nov 24th ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Stream, then you know a new version of firmware for the Uno and Plus carts is in the works. Today I'm happy to announce the beta availability of version 2.3.14 of the common firmware for the UnoCart.

Thanks for the new firmware, I have flashed it to my UnoCart and it seems to work flawlessly.

One feature request: Would it be possible add a setup oprion to start within the SD-Card Content by default?

Also, still hoping to get the DPC+ functionality one day. 🙂

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pseudografx said:

One feature request: Would it be possible add a setup option to start within the SD-Card Content by default?

Also, still hoping to get the DPC+ functionality one day. 🙂

Once the naming poll closes, the plan is to move the codebase to github and create a backlog where we can keep track of feature requests. These can be added there once it's ready.

Seems like for UnoCart it should always start up within the SD card content if the SD card is available since the normal use case is to play games. Perhaps we can avoid adding an option for it.

Edited by ZackAttack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally got it installed on mine, and first impressions are these.

It has a nicer interface which shows more letters of each filename and more files per screen.

You can choose to display the menu in NTSC, PAL or PAL60.  You can select from a few different fonts.

You can get back to the menu from within a game by holding joystick right and hitting reset.

I believe there is also support for some new bank switching methods and ACE files, though I've not tested yet.

• Like 2

Make sure it shows version 17 after R Edwards on the startup screen - if not update to that first. Mine was on 14, so I updated to 17, then did this update.

Put the .bin file on the sdcard, start the 2600, select the bin file and press the joystick button.  Wait a few seconds until the Update Complete banner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are the limitations on filenames and filepaths with the new unified firmware the same as for offline ROMs on the PlusCART?

ie:

• Max. 1024 ROM files per folder
  • Filenames must not be longer than 32 chars
  • Filepath must not be longer than 100 chars

9 hours ago, Pob said:

Are the limitations on filenames and filepaths with the new unified firmware the same as for offline ROMs on the PlusCART?

Not  exactly the same..

9 hours ago, Pob said:

ie:

• Max. 1024 ROM files per folder

Yes.

(UnoCart v17 is max 80 files per folder)

9 hours ago, Pob said:
  • Filenames must not be longer than 32 chars

The SD-card filenames can be longer, but then the 8.3 DOS-name of the file is displayed in the list.

9 hours ago, Pob said:
  • Filepath must not be longer than 100 chars

For SD and WiFi the filepath must not be longer than 256 chars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New public version v2.3.15

• Support for new ACE ELF format provided by @MarcoJ
  • PlusROM support for E7 bankswitching by @MarcoJ
  • Fixes for E7 bankswitching
  • Temporary disable "Right+Reset Exit" in Setup menu by @ZackAttack

UnoCart user have to flash the firmware manually with the STM32CubeProgrammer via USB or ST-Link. If you already have update to the UCA firmware v.2.3.14 you can rename the .bin file to "firmware.bin" and put it in the root folder of your SD-Card. To update to the UCA firmware v2.3.14 from r17 see @ZackAttack's post here

UnoCart.bin

UnoCart.elf

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, i dont know why but my Atari is not displaying video in RGB (when using NTSC game/ menu)  for some reason so i was unable to get to the settings, ive now fitted the S-Video and Composite Video connectors from the Tim Wrothington RGB kit so i can now access the menu using composite so thanks.

Im still trying to diagnose why the rgb kit doesnt work for NTSC video ( only sound works ) :(

Edited by a7mag3ddon

I upgraded my Unocard to version v2.3.15 and realy like it, but for some reason INDY 500 won´t start.
It works from the same file in V17 but in v2.3.15 the screen just makes a quick blink and then returns to Unocarts file list.

I rolled back to V17 again and INDY 500 works as before.

Does anybody else have the same problem with INDY 500?

Edited by bjkock

14 minutes ago, bjkock said:

I upgraded my Unocard to version v2.3.15 and realy like it, but for some reason INDY 500 won´t start.
It works from the same file in V17 but in v2.3.15 the screen just makes a quick blink and then returns to Unocarts file list.

I rolled back to V17 again and INDY 500 works as before.

Does anybody else have the same problem with INDY 500?

Yes, Indy 500 triggers the exit function (Joystick to the right + reset), which exits the emulation and returns to the menu. You have to disable it in "Setup -> Disable Right+Reset Exit" before starting the ROM.

6 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Yes, Indy 500 triggers the exit function (Joystick to the right + reset), which exits the emulation and returns to the menu. You have to disable it in "Setup -> Disable Right+Reset Exit" before starting the ROM.

Yes indeed! That did the trick, Thank You! 😃
It seems that this Setting isn’t saved after reboot, is this a feature that is planned for future releases?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bjkock said:

Yes indeed! That did the trick, Thank You! 😃

👍

It seems that this Setting isn’t saved after reboot,

Yes, it has to be set again after reboot

is this a feature that is planned for future releases?

We have discussed this in the "Common code base with UnoCart" thread. I think we will be using a key as part of the filename (e.g. "No-Exit") to disable the exit function for the file.

• Like 1