IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

Wild but educated guess:

MyIDE is neither a SIO-connected device, nor one with a PBI BIOS-extension.

Therefore it must emulate SIO in some way; just like an AVG Cart without the SIO-cable or a SIDE 3 without the support from U1MB.

This emulation usually is copied by the cartridges to either some place in RAM below 48 KB (where it can/will_be overwritten by many programs) or into a a patched RAM-copy of the Atari's OS (where it will collide with any other program trying to use that memory area).

Both methods are incompatible to many/most self-booting games and other titles.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Wild but educated guess:

MyIDE is neither a SIO-connected device, nor one with a PBI BIOS-extension.

Therefore it must emulate SIO in some way; just like an AVG Cart without the SIO-cable or a SIDE 3 without the support from U1MB.

This emulation usually is copied by the cartridges to either some place in RAM below 48 KB (where it can/will_be overwritten by many programs) or into a a patched RAM-copy of the Atari's OS (where it will collide with any other program trying to use that memory area).

Both methods are incompatible to many/most self-booting games and other titles.

This makes the most sense to me.  My SIDE3 cartridge isn't working with PoP, either.  

2 minutes ago, scorpio_ny said:

With the Side 3, you should be able to use one of the cartridge based versions, not the disk images. 

I was trying to get Side3 working with PoP and a 320k 800XL, the other night, and it wasn't working for me.  (I was trying to figure it out for @Javmaster)  Looking at the images available for PoP I figured PoP wasn't designed for Side3 or there is some sort of incompatibility.  

I did some searching regarding Side3 and am not sure if my cartridge isn't up-to-date or if it requires an internal U1MB, or if there is something else.

I was able to get PoP working in Altirra.  My final thought was that I need another blank floppy disk so as to try the floppy disk version.  (Most of my blank floppy disks are of the hub-less 1.2MB variety.)

I have the Side 3 and it works. You will need to use one of the mega cart versions for it to work. The disk based versions will not work unless you are using a device connected to the SIO port acting like a disk drive.There was a long discussion about this way back in this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Javmaster said:

What works? (and consider I am new and don't understand what SIO, AVG or PBI BIOS means).

You either need a cartridge which is supported by PoP (they are named in the first post of this thread right beside the download links of the cartridge images) or any disk (emulator) connected to the SIO-port (the big one with 15 pins) of your computer (a real disk drive, an SDrive(Max), SIO2SD, SIO2PC, Fujinet, ...).

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Javmaster said:

So basically won't work with MyIDE ][?  What works? (and consider I am new and don't understand what SIO, AVG or PBI BIOS means).
Thanks again, I just want to enjoy that amazing game, not cause controversy or drama.

4 hours ago, DjayBee said:

You either need a cartridge which is supported by PoP (they are named in the first post of this thread right beside the download links of the cartridge images) or any disk (emulator) connected to the SIO-port (the big one with 15 pins) of your computer (a real disk drive, an SDrive(Max), SIO2SD, SIO2PC, Fujinet, ...).

The requirements are stated in the readme.txt but it's easy to overlook:

-PAL/NTSC Atari 800+incognito/600XL/800XL/1200XL/65XE/130 XE/XEGS or compatible (576NUC+/1088XEL/...) 

-128KB of RAM minimum (Rambo/U1MB/...). 
 More RAM is fine (256KB/320KB/512KB/...) but makes no difference.

For Ultimate 1MB or Incognito BIOS, 576K CompyShop or 1088KB Rambo should be used. 

Not compatible with AXLON 4MB which uses a different banking scheme.

-Megacart/SIC!/Atarimax compatible device for the CAR versions (AVG/Ultimate/SIC!/Side3/The!Cart/...).

-SD/DD disk drive (810/1050/XF551/IndusGT/...) for the disk versions or compatible device (SIO2SD/Fujinet(1.0,1.3,1.5)/SDrive/...). 

I'd recommend the AVG cart because it's fuss free and I believe 100 %compatible with every known cartridge and disk format ... 

Shame though because the myIde2 seems to have all the required hardware to support PoP, but it just doesn't support 256KB carts.  Anybody from Atarimax could perhaps tell us if a firmware upgrade could solve that ?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Javmaster said:

Does the AVG Cart requires extra memory to run prince of Persia on an Atari 800 XL?

Didn't you mention you had a memory expansion ?

In theory, like madness77 said it should be fine (the extra PBI cable is needed for the 800XL to use the AVG RAM.)

The ATR will work (but you'll need the extra SIO cable too because PoP uses a custom disk loader)

For the CAR, I don't know if the AVG can split its RAM into 2 so that one part is dedicated to storing the ROM file and the other part is used as extended RAM ? I'm guessing yes... The only difference (beside the ending picture) is the loading speed (which is just fine with the ATR)

It may be worth checking out the AVG thread if you'd rather use the CAR version:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rensoup said:

For the CAR, I don't know if the AVG can split its RAM into 2 so that one part is dedicated to storing the ROM file and the other part is used as extended RAM ? I'm guessing yes...

yes, megacart and sic! versions would work, atarimax wouldn't since it's 1MB and would leave no available cart ram for extram

• Like 2

There's a whole thread on the AtariMax forum and looks like @mr-atari was taking a look.

"I have to check, it's been a while since I installed and played pop.

Been on holidays, sorry for the late reply.

The issue with the MyIDE-2 is that the file is loaded from CF to internal memory first, then executed.
Since pop is larger then the internal sram of the myide-2, you get this error message.

You could use SIDE, that I patched for use with MyIDE-2
But I do not know how SIDE itself handles FAT-files.
Since it's patched, it does not know myide-2/sram, so it I guess it loads directly from FAT.
Not sure if the loader is overwritten by loading pop, crashing the system though.

Please give a (newest) link to pop and I have a look, it's weekend anyway ;-)
Then I can recommend what flashcartridge you need.
These cartridges can be flashed from out your atari, by loading a flasher-image over SIO.

Grtz,
Sijmen."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

There's a whole thread on the AtariMax forum and looks like @mr-atari was taking a look.

I don't know anything about those extensions though it doesn't seem that fixing a loader would work? Like I said, adding support for different cart schemes may be a solution if it's possible... megacart or sic! OR adding a a 256KB atarimax format (which would require a PoP update)

• 3 weeks later...

Strange to find a continuing here instead of the original forum/post.

I am not often on AA, just for the sci-fi challenge and altirra updates....

Anyhow, yes, it is possible to load pop into sram of myide-2.

Then switch to read-only sram and then execute cartridge style.

I know the bank-sequence and what registers to use.

So if the makers of pop can contact me, preferable my email, I help them out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zbyti said:

what a shame ;) 

:lol:

5 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

No Atari version included 😞

No C64 or BBC version either...

The best part is that the guy lives next door in the console forums :lol:

I actually watched a bunch of his videos when I was looking for an interesting project to port after PoP. He can be a little sarcastic which I enjoy :D

Perhaps he could be persuaded to make an update?

• Like 5