IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

5 hours ago, rensoup said:

I know... perhaps it's possible to go beyond that?

I guess it has to run within your Engine? So things might get a little worse than this.

Also, the "pinkish" cannot be avoided for all machines. Except, you create some logic that changes the colors between a "standard" NTSC setting and PAL .   

5 hours ago, rensoup said:

Some folks find it informative...

That's one of those strange things here on Atariage. People allow "Thread - Derail", and to a special degree it might be useful. But what has the Apple 2 Graphics in a C64 conversion to do with it all?

Then people discuss like an eagle flying around the prey. And if you want the needed consensus (pick the prey, point to a solution)  , they blame you for derailing the thread.  

5 hours ago, emkay said:

I guess it has to run within your Engine? So things might get a little worse than this.

Also, the "pinkish" cannot be avoided for all machines. Except, you create some logic that changes the colors between a "standard" NTSC setting and PAL .   

I don't see why it would have to be worse... and why the floor has to be pink ?

If nobody's interested in doing this, is there a way to try an automatic conversion, something like rasta converter ?

Edited by rensoup

19 minutes ago, rensoup said:

If nobody's interested in doing this, is there a way to try an automatic conversion, something like rasta converter ?

?

Now things turn weird. 

A Rastavonverter Intro  might need the game to be stored on a Megacart ;)

The "pink" is a result of the difference between the palettes. 

Also Rastaconverter mostly changes blue colors of pictures to violett.

And, as the Cutscenes  would need to run within your engine, ANTIC E has to be used. The Intro in the video uses mode 4. 

And, as you ask for the graphics to be converted. 

Why don't you post the images of the Cutscenes. Changing them is almost peanuts.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:26 PM, rensoup said:

OK just as exercise to empty my head from the prince ?

it's a work in progress, no G2F, no tricks just down-scaled and heavily retouched by hand,

it looks pretty close with 5 colors  image.png.dfee25a93989ff3814ffa3ac99c5b6af.png  just squint and you will see !

image.thumb.png.d9be06469dcd7b3ca4017bd20fb4c901.png

• Like 11

OK. the 6th color in the C64 pic is not really adding to the picture. 

But the C64 picture is much nicer in details.

Here is a 1st Image using REAL 4 colors plus DLIs and some PMg .

If a color kernel in the range of the bed is allowed, things get easy. Sadly, G2F cannot re use PMg so this is something that had to be done on the real thing.  

And , yes, I'm always proprosing to use colored Borders to have a much more colorful image.

1st part was to find useful ranges for color changes. Then Graphics could be adjusted where color clash is too obvious.

4col.png

4col.xex

• Like 2

8 hours ago, STE'86 said:

the c64 art reduced to the same 5 colours with plenty of scope at the top of the screen for some creative colour rastering above the column tops to give the illusion of more colour.

pop 5 colour.png

Looks like a good basis as well... but there's no way around mode4 it seems...?

3 hours ago, emkay said:

OK. the 6th color in the C64 pic is not really adding to the picture. 

But the C64 picture is much nicer in details.

Here is a 1st Image using REAL 4 colors plus DLIs and some PMg .

If a color kernel in the range of the bed is allowed, things get easy. Sadly, G2F cannot re use PMg so this is something that had to be done on the real thing.  

And , yes, I'm always proprosing to use colored Borders to have a much more colorful image.

1st part was to find useful ranges for color changes. Then Graphics could be adjusted where color clash is too obvious.

variable COLBK is fine, same with kernel around the bed area...

if using mode4 COLPF3 can be DLi changed

3 hours ago, emkay said:

4col.png

Unfortunately, the brown gradient cannot change in the bottom area as it's used for the prince/sultan/princess.

I'm guessing the blue part is to illustrate the sky color?

I'll post something more detailed later...

8 hours ago, rensoup said:

Unfortunately, the brown gradient cannot change in the bottom area as it's used for the prince/sultan/princess.

The grey is build on player  2 and 3

Player 0 and 1 free with priority over player 2 and 3 

8 hours ago, rensoup said:

I'm guessing the blue part is to illustrate the sky color?

Yes. And I'd suggest to make that band look like outside (not a wall in the background, just "oriental grids)

32 minutes ago, emkay said:

The grey is build on player  2 and 3

Player 0 and 1 free with priority over player 2 and 3 

?? I'm confused... I'm using the PMs for the skin color.

33 minutes ago, emkay said:

Yes. And I'd suggest to make that band look like outside (not a wall in the background, just "oriental grids)

? confused again.

40 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

With the background arches you may have some issues with the color3 as in the 4x8 areas the color2 looks like it could also be needed, however those could probably be patched up with PMs which aren't being used in that band

Is there a tool to convert a pic like this into mode4 tiles ?

15 minutes ago, rensoup said:

?? I'm confused... I'm using the PMs for the skin color.

You use all 4 players for the "Sprites" ?

Why ?

15 minutes ago, rensoup said:

? confused again.

If you want to have the best looking image for the Atari, you'd have to adjust things.

Look at Tix's image. the white "windows" . They should be turned into the blue night color with black borders.

27 minutes ago, emkay said:

You use all 4 players for the "Sprites" ?

Why ?

2 for each character, the prince can extend his arms even beyond 16 pixels

image.png.9a0fda10b98bfa20b4742c41ac61937e.png

30 minutes ago, emkay said:

If you want to have the best looking image for the Atari, you'd have to adjust things.

Look at Tix's image. the white "windows" . They should be turned into the blue night color with black borders.

I tend to leave that part to the artist, that was just a mockup to illustrate what could possibly be done

13 minutes ago, rensoup said:

2 for each character, the prince can extend his arms even beyond 16 pixels

image.png.9a0fda10b98bfa20b4742c41ac61937e.png

I tend to leave that part to the artist, that was just a mockup to illustrate what could possibly be done

That's where "my solution" comes into "the game" ;)

If you put the PMg behind the background graphics, you could use a single Player at double or even quad width. The Playfield "Software Sprite" is covering it with the higher resolution. 

The hardware will give the priority automatically.

1 hour ago, emkay said:

That's where "my solution" comes into "the game" ;)

If you put the PMg behind the background graphics, you could use a single Player at double or even quad width. The Playfield "Software Sprite" is covering it with the higher resolution. 

The hardware will give the priority automatically.

not sure how you can use 2x/4x width without losing pixel resolution for the skin ? it works where the blue vest covers the skin but not around the arms ?

42 minutes ago, Heaven/TQA said:

G2f or rastaconverter.

21 minutes ago, Yaron Nir said:

You adjust the image with a tool called “GIMP” and the import it easily into G2F specially for mode 4

Ah, didn't know G2F could set the color selection bit automagically. I thought it was for simulating DLis and placing PMGs only?

17 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

you are punching a hole through the playfields by placing the background colour and the PM priorities are set for the PMs to appear between the background and playfields, so the finer pixels of the PFs overlay the PMs

Ok but I still don't see how that helps me with the player skin ? ?