IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

*crash going up the stairs to next level -*

*crash at death and not hitting anything to continue etc.* verified don't press action key results in crash after a few moments

Some people have reported this ?

That'd be right because like mentioned in the readme:

-5 levels, including 2 palace levels. Each level is fully playable but the game stops once you take the exit door (still need to make some space for the cutscene code!)

should have written "game crashes"!

Same if you die and do nothing, the game tries to go back to the intro.

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

As I look at this fine piece of coding I can't help but think how many other pieces of software could be remade from this beautiful work. Fluid and efficient at this stage, I'm grinning' :)

? Thanks again!

I don't know how much could be reused because PoP is pretty damn specific with its 300 frames of animations, so the display code is built around that but I think we agree the A8 capabilities were underused... ModeE + precompiled sprites for the win!

• Like 2

On 4/5/2020 at 1:28 PM, rensoup said:

Thanks!

Didn't know about the E0 F0 bands, I was thinking about using a different palette for the NTSC version anyway (not for the next build though) because when switching to NTSC in Altirra the result isn't too pleasing. Would a custom NTSC palette could improve things ?

Ok, so here's how level-5 is looking so far on NTSC:

1BE81DC7-9919-410B-8D6D-66F435C81510.thumb.jpeg.9304ad01123dc36bcbe313ebe5ba1b57.jpeg

80B46A40-8CEA-4DC3-B9CF-7F6AB2EE0072.thumb.jpeg.5e9b93259b16bd3e80ded7f178fcc9ce.jpeg

Above from STOCK Atari 800 (except R189) via DVDO iScan HD processor (final rendering on Viewsonic Vp950B Monitor). Sorry for the glare (its bright daylight, here, can't filter it all from room). 

It is very nice to see how these particular scene is pushing my video-path's ability to resolve chrominance detail (from sVideo signal) to its barebone limits (!) Love it! Notice that the red-hatch pattern on the 3D / background surfaces does NOT appear as fully resolved as same pattern but on blue-colored scenes).

On Emulation, however, it appears fully resolved, showing clearly why Emulation will always have the upper hand in everything related video-output quality, except speed-of-light CRT factor.

Keep it coming!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 4

Those five levels are amazing!

Fantastic work.

I play it on my 800XL (PAL) and could finish levels 1 and 4 but couldn't finish level 2 and 3, well I guess its the controls. Whatever I try I can't jump back from the platform that opened the door to level 2. ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Above from STOCK Atari 800 (except R819) via DVDO iScan HD processor (final rendering on Viewsonic Vp950B Monitor). Sorry for the glare (its bright daylight, here, can't filter it all from room). 

Looking good in NTSC (right?)

stock A800 ? R819 ? the game requires 128KB and a XL/XE machine, how's that possible?

Edited by rensoup

1 minute ago, patjomki said:

I play it on my 800XL (PAL) and could finish levels 1 and 4 but couldn't finish level 2 and 3, well I guess its the controls. Whatever I try I can't jump back from the platform that opened the door to level 2. ?

playing with the keyboard ? (my keyboard handler only allows 1 key at a time ?)

if not, in L2, you just do a jump from stand up position then hold the button and the prince will catch the ledge

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Looking good in NTSC (right?)

stock A800 ? R819 ? the game requires 128KB and a XL/XE machine, how's that possible?

YES, looking pretty good on NTSC, so far.

And translating:

1. 800's stock video (minus R189).

2. Equipped with Incognito for XL/XE compatibility.

3. Booting directly from SIO, via NUXX-Drive, set at Divisor=2.

Should be clear, hopefully.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

You couldn't do diagonals, e.g. up/right, at the same time. Similar issue with something like Elite from the keyboard, OK on other 8-bit micros as key-scanning breaks keyboard into small sections but A8 is PITA due to the 'one-only' (aside from Shift and Console keys).

17 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

can it process shift at same time? could be rabbit? set upper lower free and act as fire button :)

One of those things I can't be bothered to do ?, keyboard support is just for making sure that the game runs if you don't have a joystick around but it's not really meant to be played that way.

16 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

You couldn't do diagonals, e.g. up/right, at the same time. Similar issue with something like Elite from the keyboard, OK on other 8-bit micros as key-scanning breaks keyboard into small sections but A8 is PITA due to the 'one-only' (aside from Shift and Console keys).

I'm not sure that the game even requires diagonals tbh

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

playing with the keyboard ? (my keyboard handler only allows 1 key at a time ?)

if not, in L2, you just do a jump from stand up position then hold the button and the prince will catch the ledge

No. Was playing with a joystick but thanks a lot for the tip.

Has been a while since I finished PoP (on ATARI ST) so I forgot about holding the button. Anyway, it did the trick so I could finish levels 2 and 4. I the meantime I also finished level 5. ?

It was fun to play. Thanks to all persons involved for these levels so far. 

Edited by patjomki
  • Like 1

Looks very impressive! When entering the second room on level 2 and dropping down to the lower level, the guard appears in the doorway but does not advance until the prince climbs back to the upper level. Probably original game logic but looks a bit strange (my PoP experience is based on a few minutes PC playing more than 25 years ago).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slx said:

Looks very impressive! When entering the second room on level 2 and dropping down to the lower level, the guard appears in the doorway but does not advance until the prince climbs back to the upper level. Probably original game logic but looks a bit strange (my PoP experience is based on a few minutes PC playing more than 25 years ago).

Yes I'm pretty sure that's the original logic, if you start fighting him then try to back out, he will follow you to the lower level

Awesome job, @rensoup and the team!

I was testing the game on Altirra on NTSC configuration, and I found a glitch on stage 4. For some reason, the guy gets stuck on the door at certain times. Couldn't move the guyt until it closes completeley and then starts to fall on diagonal direction to the down right section (?).

Here's a pic:

image.thumb.png.b6d8b9cdc32da568a71e1b6a45c0b4af.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Wilheim said:

Maybe I was "lucky", to say something...

depends, what are the rest of your altirra settings? type of rom etc.

is it possible that a bump to the head made a bruise time out?

Edited by _The Doctor__

2 minutes ago, Wilheim said:

Maybe I was "lucky", to say something...

I've actually seen this too, several times... You have to jump and land on the edge of a tile: I'm thinking it may be a bug in the original because i saw it quite early when I started the port. I've done it on L1 in the first room that has spikes.

The problem is how to reproduce it...

I found this thread: https://forum.princed.org/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=2719&start=45 

It's mainly about an overflow bug but many other rare bugs are mentioned too but nobody's seen this one ?

• Like 1

maybe he lands so close on the edge he must steady himself for a bit... yeah that's it.  seriously though, he prolly lands at decision point and the game doesn't know where he really can go... after a bit the player resets and you get to go on your way. It does sound like some form of the bug rensoup pointed out... Have you watched the TAS exploit/trick speed play of the game... at 12 minutes and a few seconds flat?

When playing on my real 130XE yesterday, it happened several times during fights, that with some joystick movement (I'm not sure exactly how), our hero hid the sword in the middle of the fight with enemy still very close. Is it a behaviour of BBC Master version? Normally on Amiga/PC version, I believe and think the  Prince did not hide the sword until some more far distance between him and enemy.

Edited by Jacques

moving backwards or forward with the sword out needs to be done by small moves, if you hold the joystick backing away from an enemy for too long you will put away your sword and make ready to run. take time in an empty room of the game to familiarize yourself with the moves he can do without the sword and then, if possible practice with the sword out against the enemy on lower levels when it's easier to fight them and the surroundings are safer. Later on they can get our boy either because the room is dangerous and the bad guys fight slightly better.