IGNORED

Unicorns season: Prince of Persia for the A8!

rensoup

14 minutes ago, rensoup said:

Alright, several pages to conclude that it worked all along... 

Hang on.

After it was discovered there was an unplayable 'fastmouse' demo at the very bottom of the first post on page one! I'm quite sure even DrVenkman missed that one.

Edited by Mazzspeed

Fujinet doesn’t load any CAR files, it’s an SIO device so only loads CAS, ATR, ATX, XEX. 

I’ve run the SD and DD ATR versions from Fujinet without issue from a remote TNFS server. I did have to turn off HSIO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mazzspeed said:

So, essentially, there are still isolated compatibility issues with the .CAR images

Realistically speaking, from the perspective of the gamer, the only difference I see in the BBC port is more texturing

It doesn't discount the fact there is still an issue as a result of xbios.

Your ability to distort reality is impressive...

After it was discovered there was an unplayable 'fastmouse' demo at the very bottom of the first post on page one! I'm quite sure even DrVenkman missed that one.

17 hours ago, DjayBee said:

It has been mentioned several(!) times in this very thread that this test release exists, that it later had been copied to the first post and that it is at the very end of that post.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rensoup said:

Yes, seeing the art and sound come together was REALLY IMPORTANT for motivation.

And now I feel like reposting TIX's first animation that started it all ( even though he might complain that it's horrible ?)

prince-8frames.gif.db88b648ee10af39f320fbb21c4288f6.gif

You guys have come a long way since then!  I'm always amazed at what low colour, low resolution images can achieve.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

I just want a good .ATR image that will work with SIDE and Incognito Loader. It should load very quickly from hard disk.

it's a hardware problem. Your device has limited ATR emulation.

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

Don't call for it.

If you are kicked from this thread before him, he wins.

This is not a game and there is no winning, both of them have been kicked.  And xxl, you should be ashamed of yourself and now your user picture makes sense. ?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, rensoup said:

Yes, seeing the art and sound come together was REALLY IMPORTANT for motivation.

And now I feel like reposting TIX's first animation that started it all ( even though he might complain that it's horrible ?)

prince-8frames.gif.db88b648ee10af39f320fbb21c4288f6.gif

wow after this embarrassing display, let me introduce the umpteenth revision..

test11.gif.d6659b459e755646123396a198e65028.gif

• Like 15
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, TIX said:

I love how his waistcoat exposes his bare chest for just a single frame during the run cycle. It's little touches like that and and the quality of the shading on the far leg that just bring the character to life. Incredible job for such a restricted palette. 

You should consider doing some Aesprite tutorials on Youtube; I'd watch that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Oh please do Galaga or Phoenix! Attempts have been made, nothing completed.

I was thinking about this last night and one game from the arcades (though I only knew the Amiga version) that would be great on the Atari and I think would give TIX's skills a workout but is totally doable would be Plotting. Seems it came out for a bunch of home computers including the CPC, Speccy and C64 but never got an Atari release. https://www.mobygames.com/game/plotting

It's more bathroom tiles though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

19 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

I just want a good .ATR image that will work with SIDE and Incognito Loader. It should load very quickly from hard disk.

100%. But apparently this is a competition regarding the A8 vs the rest of the retro community and as a platform the perceived underdog has a point to make by sticking to 128k. It's something I find mind boggling, and I stand by my original comment that had a working .CAR not been made available I would have lost interest in the game, there's nothing wrong with stating that and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Anyway, great job Rensoup. I'm thankful someone alerted FJC to the SIDE3 issue, otherwise there's every chance there'd be at least one multi cart not running the game right now.

Edited by Mazzspeed

59 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I was thinking about this last night and one game from the arcades (though I only knew the Amiga version) that would be great on the Atari and I think would give TIX's skills a workout but is totally doable would be Plotting. Seems it came out for a bunch of home computers including the CPC, Speccy and C64 but never got an Atari release. https://www.mobygames.com/game/plotting

It's more bathroom tiles though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

There are at least three german A8 conversions available:

Plot

Plot's

Mad Stone

Unsure if these are good or the way you like them.

11 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

There are at least three german A8 conversions available:

Plot

Plot's

Mad Stone

Unsure if these are good or the way you like them.

I should have known someone had already done it. I'm working my way through fandals site but I'm not up to M yet. 

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:
23 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Oh please do Galaga or Phoenix! Attempts have been made, nothing completed.

I did take a quick look at Galaga, it's crazy that it's got 3 CPUs dedicated to running the game code (not for music or anything like that). It'd be pretty tight to get it running at 60fps on the XL!

I suppose you've seen playsoft's tech demo: 

Puzzle games are a lot less interesting technically... that's probably why there's already several conversions!

11 hours ago, TIX said:

The early version of the sprite looks like he had been injured and was dragging his left leg trying to run at the same time lol

The final art is pure eye candy however!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I did take a quick look at Galaga, it's crazy that it's got 3 CPUs dedicated to running the game code

Yes, absolutely nuts, but I guess that is where all those multicolor, fast-moving sprites come from...

There was a GREAT, work-in-progress multi-sprite test posted before... Here are the two versions:

240p-TEST-Galaga_big.xex

240p-TEST-Galaga_small.xex

I would LOOOOVE to see a good, fluid Galaga on A8, even if it means a bit lower # of active sprites at any given time.

Cheers!

• Like 1