IGNORED

What Game, home Console/Computer did u first hear Speech?

TMNT??? Earliest???

Wow, that's almost as bad as Madden football as earliest... I'm feeling old... :-)

Talking arcades, I'd have to remember whether I played Gorf (Space Cadet) or Vangaurd (Let's Attack) first...

Systems? I'm thinking Impossible Mission on the C64 was before Ghostbusters for me... (Or Beach Head (1 or 2?)... I think it said "Medic", but it was awhile before I figured that out.. :-)

Never had a voice module/game for my Odyssey 2...

Had a program for my IBM PC (4 Mhz original) that spoke thru the speaker. Said, "Help, I'm stuck in this computer..." etc.. Sounded too fast, but audible when I upgraded to 16 Mhz. Useless after that.. :-)

desiv

UPDATE!!!

OK, just checked KLOV:

Vanguard - 1981

Gorf - 1986<--- NOPE! READ IT WRONG! :-( 1981!!!

TMNT - 1989

Now I have no idea which one was first! :-)

btw.. Goonies was 1986.. :-) I read the wrong line..

Double checked the others, and they're right.

Remember the Talking Moose on the old school Macs? It was like a Bonzi Buddy, only the moose was not secretly spying on you. He has the same voice emulator as Stephen hawking. Whenever I hear Hawking speak I think of that moose.

COWA-BUNGA! I've been gaming since 1980, and TMNT, the first arcade version, was the first game I heard digitized speech in.

Oh, I forgot about that game.

Did the NES version do the talking? I can't remember. I do remember the NES version didn't look as cool to me as the Arcade version I had seen before did.

The first computer I heard speech on was the TI-99/4A...sometime in 81-82.  Just construct a simple BASIC program and the TI would speak anything you wanted it to.

...and don't forget the 'Speak and Spell'.

a quick correction on that statement:

to enable speech on the TI, you either need an ti-extened basic cart, Assembly language cart, or a Termial Emulator cart. the basic in the computer it self would let you do speech.

I know this because most of my games I progromed in Xbasic have speech (including laserman).

Dan Iacovelli

Was the C-64 that easy to crack or did all you guys just enjoy pirating?

There were games that had pretty tough protection (Epyx games come to mind), but for the most part, the community got them cracked pretty quickly. The C64 probably had a higher piracy rate than even the PSX (although since one is a computer, this is probably a poor comparison). Lately, I've actually been finding a decent amount of new C64 games at the thrift stores. I have maybe 20 cartridges, and about 12 boxed disk games (most of them complete with all the junk they came with... cloth map for Exodus, 3D glasses for Leather Goddess, etc...)

Anyways, I honestly can't remember where I first heard voice. It must have been either Gauntlet, or something on the C64 (Impossible Mission? Space Taxi? Ghostbusters?). Perhaps there was even a VIC-20 game that I heard it from?

From what I recall, I thought it was neat, but was never very impressed by it. After all, it's not like it instantly made the game fun (although I did play an awful lot of Impossible Mission and Space Taxi... I keep waiting for "Up Please!" when I play Crazy Taxi even :P )

--Zero

There are some YOUNG people around here. When the NES peaked I was on my way to college. I'm glad to have seen it progress from Pong to PS in front of my eyes.

Does anyone know what game did in fact first use speech? In the arcade Berzerk was the first I remember.

My first has to be the C64 games already mentioned Space taxi "pad 6 please" or the mission impossible into, damn I need to find my old C64 games *sniffle,sniffle*

And as for the whole piracy thing, yeah C64 games were just that easy to crack. I was like 7-8 at the time when I had mine but I just remember one day each week my father would come home from work with 20 disks filled with games for me. I was in heaven and just didn't know better.

BTW was it just me or did the load times seem not as bad back then. I tried to fire up the old C64 and the load time took forever. Maybe it seemed faster then but is there anything I can do to speed up load times?

The first computer I heard speech on was the TI-99/4A...sometime in 81-82.  Just construct a simple BASIC program and the TI would speak anything you wanted it to.

...and don't forget the 'Speak and Spell'.

a quick correction on that statement:

to enable speech on the TI, you either need an ti-extened basic cart, Assembly language cart, or a Termial Emulator cart. the basic in the computer it self would let you do speech.

I know this because most of my games I progromed in Xbasic have speech (including laserman).

Dan Iacovelli

Yes, I realize that this is the case. I was only refering to TI speech capabilities in a general way. I had the Terminal Emulator II cart.

I always enjoyed inputing junk strings and listening to the TI 'interpret' them.

What, they actually SOLD C64 games?

Aside from collectors, I never knew a C-64 owner who had a game that WASN'T cracked.

Was the C-64 that easy to crack or did all you guys just enjoy pirating?

Now that its been mentioned, I'm sure I played Castle Wolfenstein first.

It was social thing to do. Get together and copy games. Its not like you

really had the time to play all of them but you never knew when that

one game may be what you need to trade for something you really

wanted :D It was an obsession.

As for the topic C=64 Space Taxi and later Ghostbusters. The first

game that I thought it was used well and not as a gimick was on

Mechwarrior 2.

John

Squish 'Em Sam on the CV I think.

I remember being shocked because I had just read an artcle in one of the game mags back then (1983? 84?) that the CV sound chips were incapable of speech.

"Squish 'Em" "Got One!"

That is one kick ass game besides the speech :D

BTW was it just me or did the load times seem not as bad back then. I tried to fire up the old C64 and the load time took forever. Maybe it seemed faster then but is there anything I can do to speed up load times?

For a lot of pirated games, the people who cracked them had to remove the speed-loaders that the companies used. Epyx games are known for this, so if you pirate a copy of California Games, the load times are pretty nasty, and I think it actually needs an extra disk (Or maybe that was just a bad crack I had at one time).

I have an original of California Games, and it loads MUCH faster.

There are speed-loader cartridges made by numerous companies, but not all of them work with all games unfortunately. I've heard good things about the Epyx-made cartridge, but don't have one myself.

And yes, Berzerk was definitely the first arcade game to have speech.

--Zero

Arcade-

Stratovox predated Berzerk for a voice arcade game by at least a couple months.. :-)

From what I've been able to gather, it looks like Wolfenstein for the Apple II might have been the earliest computer game with voice... (???)

And googling seems to hint that the Intellivision baseball game might be the first console one???

desiv

TI 99/4a was the first for me, but i didnt own it at the time, they had one set up in a MaCaullys (spelling?) store, it was a school accessory store and i cant remember what game it was, but ever since that day i have never forgotten about the TI , and i bought the first one i saw when i started collecting video games :D

P.T. Barnum's Acrobats was the name of the Odyssey2 "Clowns/Circus Atari" clone.

And on that subject, the first time I heard voice in a console game was for Space Spartans for the Intellivision. It's too bad the Intellivoice was used only for that and three other games designed for it.

Stratovox predated Berzerk for a voice arcade game by at least a couple months.. :-)

Are you sure about that? I'd always heard that Berzerk was the first arcade game to use digitized voice. In fact, I thought that was one of it's claims to fame.

I'm guessing that Berzerk predates any home console or computer* voices?

--Zero

* - Home computers that is... mainframes and supercomputers don't count.

Archived