IGNORED

What Game, home Console/Computer did u first hear Speech?

Just curious what Game and what home computer/console did you first hear speech!

Or lets say the computer "talk" back then.

I can recall as early as 1984 on the Atari 800 say Ghostbusters! in the game Ghostbusters.

But I know I never heard speech in computer games before then.

It blew me out of my mind!

That they managed to make a computer say something and you could understand it.

Its was all very impressive on 8bit systems (Atari 800, C64) with low memory.. Impossible Mission was the next game to blow my mind.

But this gave you a glimpse of the future of gaming. :)

Todays games seem like there more Speech than gameplay and of course the magic has now long gone.

I am pretty sure it was Ghostbuster for me too. It was the Spectrum version and I remember reading a speech credit on the loading screen and I thought: "Speech on the Spectrum, yeah right...". But my jaw dropped to the floor when the game had loaded and the Spectrum yelled GHOSTBUSTERS at me... Amazing :D It wasn't exactly crystal clear, but it was distinguishable.

Probably either 5200 Berzerk or Apple II E Castle Wolfenstein or maybe Texas Instuments (There was a cart and voice adapter where the TI said whatever you typed phoneticaly).

Can't really remember which I heard first though.

I'm pretty sure it was "Impossible Mission" for the C64...

"Another visitor... stay awhile... staaaay FOREVER!"

and, at the end...

"no... No... NOOOOO!!!!"

He was a man of few words...

It's funny, I get the feeling this was the same for me - except I had a bootleg copy of it, of course. :lol:

Ghostbusters as well (C64), though I'm almost certain "Impossible Mission" came out before it... still, I keep thinking Epyx only put the speech into that because they had the memory space left to do it. Still damn glad they did, adds much to the game ;)

i dont remeber the first game but i remeber the first time speech blew me away.. it was in a madden game on snes and it sayd "im pat summerall along with john madden saying goodbye, the final score is [score]" at that point i called everyone i knew and was like speech has come into its own just wait man soon games are gonna be all speech and not have text you have to read

It's funny, I get the feeling this was the same for me - except I had a bootleg copy of it, of course. :lol:

What, they actually SOLD C64 games? :P I had no idea...

I don't think I ever owned a "real copy" of anything. Beach Head, Raid over Moscow, Astec Challenge, Summer Games, Winter Games, Archon, Gyruss...etc... etc...

Nope, can't recall a "real" one...

TI 99/4a. My first computer, my first gaming machine, and my first experience with digitized speech.

Thanks to the Speech Synthesizer, most of my games talked.

Parsec complimented me on my shooting, Moon Mine's villain taunted me when I died, and Spock welcomed me aboard the Enterprise in Sega's Star Trek game.

It's really amazing how much diffrence a few low-quality digitized speech clips make to the experience.

Actually I was impressed in the Amiga version of Cannon Fodder, at they Intro the whole song was sung.

I remember the Amiga talking program, as whatever you type it would say, but it could say the sentences quite right. :ponder:

What, they actually SOLD C64 games?

Aside from collectors, I never knew a C-64 owner who had a game that WASN'T cracked.

Was the C-64 that easy to crack or did all you guys just enjoy pirating?

Now that its been mentioned, I'm sure I played Castle Wolfenstein first.

Archived