IGNORED

Atari 410 Program Recorder Help!

Hello everyone! Okay, so I know this isn’t a topic about the 5200. I just couldn’t find the right place for my post. I am new here and my husband and I have an Atari 800 (1979). We also have a 410 program recorder. Both he owned since new.

We just replaced the belts on the 410 recorder and got it fired up. But we are having a few issues. 

1) I put a blank cassette in, started at the beginning of the magnetic strip, and put the Program counter to zero.

I was able to record the program I was working on, but when it comes to CLOAD ‘ing the program, the 410 recorder will throw a few different codes. 143, 138, 29 and 130. 

Since my husband is the original owner we luckily have the original owner’s guide for the 410. Inside it said that (codes 143, 138) the head of the tape deck needed to be either demagnetized or cleaned. 

So, I popped in a demagnetizing tape, and a head cleaner. Plus I did a traditional head clean with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip. 

We then ran a traditional cassette inside the program recorder with the POKE command, (to eliminate head issues) and it did manage to play music through the television. The audio was clear. 

So we again tried CLOAD ‘ing the program I CSAVE ‘ed with our system, and still received the same codes. 

We also tried several other cassette games and it was the same issue with the same codes. 

After CSAVE ‘ing it will display the “Ready” prompt. But will continue to struggle to load anything.

Has anyone else had this issue? Or could offer pointers on why it is unable to load anything? 

We just replaced the original CPU/GTIA in our Atari 800 and it plays games beautifully. Plus it will read the programs I create in BASIC. The computer works great.

So please note this appears to be an issue with the 410 program recorder only. Or could it be something else?

2) The other issue is... The rewind button is not working on the 410 recorder either. We have been using another tape deck to rewind. We did replace the belts, did one slip?

Also, I have inserted my cassette with the Recorded program (only) into a standard cassette deck and it will make the typical screeching. So the program is there. 

let me know your thoughts on all of this. I am looking forward to saving programs. 

For rewind issue check the rubber idler wheels for roundness and condition. If not round the rubber may have an indent from sitting so long. If they are shiny you can try scuffing them with scotch pad so they can grip. If dry rubber needs to be replaced.

What type of tape did you record the basic program to? Recommend a new type I cassette like TDK.

For the heads rub your finger nail across the head. If there is a groove that maybe an issue, worn head. Post a picture of the head if you can.

Does the music play consistantly at the same speed?

I can't recall if any of the parts have lubricates applied, that can dry up over time and get hard.

Edited by eizner23