IGNORED

You're only allowed 10 games... what are they?

MantaNZ

Strangely difficult. I like Adam's list above and, TBH, a couple of his would go on mine as well.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Because I haven't played it yet, even though we've had it for months.

Minestorm (Vectrex)

Robotron 2084 (Atari 8-bit)

Carrier Command (ST) - I stopped playing it just at the point where I'd figured out how to beat it.

F1 (whichever's the latest - gotta have a driving game)

Forza 6 (better than 7, IMO)

Dropzone (Atari 8-bit)

Dishonored - had it absolutely ages and still not played it.

Sim City (ST)

Galaxian (2600)

• Like 1

Asteroids (Arcade) I spent all my paperboy money on it trying for high score.

Star Wars: The Arcade Game (Arcade) It's Atari & Star Wars, together! Spent may weekends at Weirs Beach NH playing this one. Pure Love!

River Raid (2600) I never did make it to the end! My teenage mind was convinced it had one.

Rogue (Atari ST or iOS version --> Rouge Touch) Some people started with Adventure, Zork or Zelda. Well I stared my first RPG with Rogue. *

Sonic 2 (Genesis) First game I pre-ordered, got a free T-shirt too! Who remembers Sonic Tuesday?

Halo Reach (X360) Never played 1 or 2. I started with Halo 3, I was excited to see what came next, I was NOT let down.**

No Man's Sky (XB1) My everything game. It's the game I have wanted to play since I was a kid back in the early 1980's. It is the answer to my youthful gamer's prayers. I do wish it had less crafting in it.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (XB1) I loved RDR and this is the near perfect sequel. The controls are broken and overly complicated for no good reason.

and I'd bring these two games for my wife:

Seawolf (Arcade) Camp recreation room had this, great memories for her. Plus I never played/heard of it. Was fun to play.

Night Stalker (Intellivision) She had fun plying this one with a friend after picking it up at a tag sale.

* The Colecovision game Gateway to Apshai  was my first adventure/rpg style game. But this was action based, more of a slow arcade game.

I love the turn based games way more. So many hours spent on Rogue ST.

** If I could I'd put the Master Chief Collection up there in place of Reach 360 now that it's included in the MCC.

Edited by Zeptari1
spelling error
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 5:34 PM, Tickled_Pink said:

Strangely difficult. I like Adam's list above and, TBH, a couple of his would go on mine as well.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Because I haven't played it yet, even though we've had it for months.

Minestorm (Vectrex)

Robotron 2084 (Atari 8-bit)

Carrier Command (ST) - I stopped playing it just at the point where I'd figured out how to beat it.

F1 (whichever's the latest - gotta have a driving game)

Forza 6 (better than 7, IMO)

Dropzone (Atari 8-bit)

Dishonored - had it absolutely ages and still not played it.

Sim City (ST)

Galaxian (2600)

Dishonoured was fine, but I wouldn’t want to spend the rest of my life with it. And since I’m already on a deserted tropical isle, that whole piratey/Steampunk theme would just be grating. I like the rest of your list a lot, although Drop Zone will never be better than A8 Defender for me.

And I’ve got to put in a plug for Galagon over 2600 Galaxian. Awesome, awesome game. 

• Like 1

Dishonoured was fine, but I wouldn’t want to spend the rest of my life with it. And since I’m already on a deserted tropical isle, that whole piratey/Steampunk theme would just be grating. I like the rest of your list a lot, although Drop Zone will never be better than A8 Defender for me.

And I’ve got to put in a plug for Galagon over 2600 Galaxian. Awesome, awesome game. 

877cefe2b9059ae23c970f3eb86d7fae.jpg

On 12/16/2019 at 12:38 AM, davidcalgary29 said:

You know what? I've always hated Defender - on any platform. Or at least the ones that try to adhere as closely as possible to the arcade version. I used to love watching someone who knew what he was doing play the game. And the audio was bloody AWESOME! But I just couldn't get into it. Dropzone was one of the first games I got for the A8 back in '85 and I played it to death that first week.

I don't think I've ever played A8 Defender. Probably because I never felt that I needed to.

Yeah, I've had a look at Galagon on YouTube and it does look pretty damned amazing. But, call me crazy, I've always preferred Galaxian to Galaga. Probably because, believe it or not, I never played Galaga in the arcades. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a Galaga machine in the flesh.

• Like 1

Ooh...so many fighting words in one post...I need to take you to PRGE and slap you upside the head with that two-player Joust pinball machine. And have every ex-Williams employee yell at you for ten minutes. :D

Seriously, while I would be very sad if you never played A8 Defender (the port is incredible), you will damage your gaming Tao (or something) if you do not give yourself the pleasure of Galagon. I saw/heard about it first at PRGE, exclaimed “what is THAT?!”, and glued myself to the AA booth playing it. It’s on the Mappy/Draconian/Boulderdash

level of excellence. :) 

• Like 1

Ooh...so many fighting words in one post...I need to take you to PRGE and slap you upside the head with that two-player Joust pinball machine. And have every ex-Williams employee yell at you for ten minutes. [emoji3]

Seriously, while I would be very sad if you never played A8 Defender (the port is incredible), you will damage your gaming Tao (or something) if you do not give yourself the pleasure of Galagon. I saw/heard about it first at PRGE, exclaimed “what is THAT?!”, and glued myself to the AA booth playing it. It’s on the Mappy/Draconian/Boulderdash

level of excellence. [emoji4] 

I’m also not much of a Defender fan. I’ve tried many different versions of the game. Really I prefer the inspired game called Resogun on the PS3.

Galagon is simply the best port of Galaga ever done. Especially with the addition of CO-OP mode. It’s truly a masterpiece.

Hard Question! 

Dark Cavern (2600)

Asteroids Deluxe (Arcade)

Ultimate Qix (Genesis)

Breath of Fire (SNES)

Deadly Towers (NES)

Jaki Crush (Super Famicom)

Iron Maiden Pinball

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PlayStation)

Twisted Metal: Black (PS2)

Dark Arms: Beast Buster 1999 (Neo Geo Pocket Color)

I hereby declare this question impossible to answer (yes, I am being a spoilsport.) Even if I only chose 1 game per system, I'd still have 43 games! That means I have to remove at least 75% of my systems before I can even consider games!

I can offer some form of short list, however:

Something from the Katamari Damacy series: The Katamari games are a favorite of mine, so I'd definitely have one of them around. The only question is, which one? The original has the most nostalgia, We Love Katamari has the rose thing for play value (I still haven't finished that), & Katamari Forever is like a Greatest Hits take on the game. A hard choice.

Lightening Force (Sega Genesis): Had it as a kid, grew more into the genre as an adult & came to appreciate it more & more over the years.

The Guardian Legend (NES): Had it as a kid, had it stolen, got it back, beat the first stage for the first time, floored by the change in gameplay. Another one I appreciated more as I got older. 

Final Fantasy 8 & Final Fantasy 12: My two favorite Final Fantasies. For 12 I'd probably take the Zodiac Age re-release, not committing to that tho'. And no idea what version for 8.

A version of Lunar: the Sliver Star: Another favorite RPG, I own & have played through every variant released in the US, save the iOS version (I don't own any Apple products to play it on.) The PlayStation version gets nostalgia points, but I couldn't pick a favorite take.

I imagine Sonic 1 on Genesis & some sort of puzzle game could get in too, but I'm not willing to say for sure on those, or on anything else.

• Like 1