IGNORED

Xbox Series X

Cobra Strike Down

16 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I just heard that many people bought up Xbox One X's and S's thinking they were the new ones. There's going to be a lot of disappointed kids this Christmas when they get another Xbox One. lol

There may have been a couple of these, but I think most of the One X and One S sales are just people taking advantage of discounted current gen stuff.

Plus, the report is that Amazon sales were up 700%. If they sold one yesterday and 7 today, that would do that, for example. So, grain of salt, and all.

I'm glad my suspicions were true regarding backwards compatibility on Series X. You basically get the same benefits you'd get from backwards compatibility on the Xbox One X, but even more so if games have dynamic resolution and variable/unlocked framerates.

21 hours ago, Agamon said:

There may have been a couple of these, but I think most of the One X and One S sales are just people taking advantage of discounted current gen stuff.

I'm technically one of those numbers, haha. I tried pre-ordering the Series X and failed. I was frustrated, said "screw it", and went and bought a One X again to tide me over. I had downgraded from it back to the S early last year to help with some bills, and I didn't have a 4K TV at the time anyway. Now I do and I wanted something that could take advantage of it. And the prices were pretty decent since they're on the way out.

10 hours ago, Austin said:

I tried pre-ordering the Series X and failed. I was frustrated, said "screw it", and went and bought a One X again to tide me over. I had downgraded from it back to the S

So, does that put you at 5 Xbox Ones you have owned? I remember seeing two unboxing videos from you. Both of them OG Xbox One. I'm at three systems. Bought the $400 kinectless version when it came out, funny enough on my birthday, replaced it with the blue Forza edition and then bought the X when it came out. I kept the Forza edition for collecting reasons.

1 hour ago, twoquickcapri said:

So, does that put you at 5 Xbox Ones you have owned? I remember seeing two unboxing videos from you. Both of them OG Xbox One. I'm at three systems. Bought the $400 kinectless version when it came out, funny enough on my birthday, replaced it with the blue Forza edition and then bought the X when it came out. I kept the Forza edition for collecting reasons.

That sounds about right. I bought a Day One edition about a month after it launched. Wasn't using it much (software drought) so I sold it a couple months later to fund a pinball machine. Bought another one that next holiday season when Sunset Overdrive came out. Sold that a few months later, again to fund a pinball machine. When backwards compatibility was announced (along with Rare Replay) mid-2015, that got me hyped to get another and I've had one variation or another of the console since.

Edited by Austin

Ars Technica did an in depth review strictly about the backwards compatibility of the Xbox Series X.  It sounds like even old games will load significantly faster if they're on the NVME drive and have fake HDR.  At this point it's really just updating your living room PC.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/09/xbox-series-x-hands-on-the-big-back-compat-dive-begins/

I won't be buying a Series X anytime soon... there's just nothing releasing with the system other than Gears Tactics.  I already have Game Pass on my One X and I'll upgrade to the Series X next year at some point... maybe when Bethesda unveils their Space Fallout/Skyrim game.  

I'm curious to see how the Series S does... I have absolutely no interest in that system and I question why they brought it to market.  I know they wanted to have something at a low entry price point but it seems to be stripped down and I feel that it will get a lot of negative word of mouth once it hits the consumers.  Did they mention if the ~200GB of SSD space that the Series X uses for system data is the same for the Series S?  That would make the 500GB SSD only 300GB... I hope both MS and Sony have portions of games that can be removed.  

Is it me or are these companies so late with information because they don't want to let the other have the last laugh or something?  With the price holdup it seems like all the announcements are months old... like they should have been done in June/July... I guess it fits the whole '2020 is weird' bit eh?

14 hours ago, King_Salamon said:

I won't be buying a Series X anytime soon... there's just nothing releasing with the system other than Gears Tactics.  I already have Game Pass on my One X and I'll upgrade to the Series X next year at some point... maybe when Bethesda unveils their Space Fallout/Skyrim game.  

Agreed, I have no use for it, since I play mostly retrogames. That said, my friend will get one,

which means I'll end up with his XBOX one S. which is supposedly faster than the XBOX one

that i already got from him also.

I'm curious to see how the Series S does... I have absolutely no interest in that system and I question why they brought it to market.  I know they wanted to have something at a low entry price point but it seems to be stripped down and I feel that it will get a lot of negative word of mouth once it hits the consumers.  Did they mention if the ~200GB of SSD space that the Series X uses for system data is the same for the Series S?  That would make the 500GB SSD only 300GB... I hope both MS and Sony have portions of games that can be removed.  

I don't know anyone that games on 4K, so 1080p is fine for most people. Also, all my friends have gone digital only, so they don't need

the drive. I have one friend that always buys the top of the line model, so he'll get an X. Everyone else is fine with the S, at that

pricepoint. Space is not an issue, unless you play 10 games at a time.

Is it me or are these companies so late with information because they don't want to let the other have the last laugh or something?  With the price holdup it seems like all the announcements are months old... like they should have been done in June/July... I guess it fits the whole '2020 is weird' bit eh?

No, there are supply chain issues and promotional problems, if you believe the rumors of chip shortages, sony have problems, etc.

Same old games, that companies play during release times.

later

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 9:09 AM, negative1 said:

I don't know anyone that games on 4K, so 1080p is fine for most people. Also, all my friends have gone digital only, so they don't need

the drive. I have one friend that always buys the top of the line model, so he'll get an X. Everyone else is fine with the S, at that

pricepoint. Space is not an issue, unless you play 10 games at a time.

later

I bought a 4K TV a few years ago and bought the Xbox X and its pretty cool to see the upgrades they made to my Fallout games (the only reason I have my Xbox is so I can play the 360 and Xbox One Fallout games lol).  I don't do digital as I like to recoup some of the money I spend on the games after I am done with it.  90% of the time I lost money but I'm ok with that as once I'm done with a game, I rarely go back to it.  When I don't sell (like the Fallout games) I keep them and their system forever.  Once I get the Series X... the One X is going up for sale.  lol

As for the space constraints on a system... it's not the inconvenience of re-downloading something, its the download caps that some providers put on people.  Thankfully I don't have that issue but there are lots of people that do.

On 9/25/2020 at 11:56 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

I just read an article that states that the S and X require the proprietary SSD to play new games. The SSD expansion is $220 so that makes the Series S almost pointless. You would end up spending less money to get the X in the long run.

It’s a fair point to suggest there is way better value for the Xbox series X.  

In saying that we are talking about 500gb difference between the two.  Anyone who feels they will need to add another 1 TB will likely feel they need to do so for the series X as well, maybe just a bit quicker. For this reason I don’t feel you will spend less money on the series X in the long run

Personally I hope they release a 2TB drive.  I’m a gaming hog and lazy bastard therefore I want as much space as possible.  I’m not rich so I do hope these drives become much larger and more affordable

I remember when Taco Bell did the gold PS4 promotion thingy. I actually rather liked that gold Taco Bell PS4. When I first heard about it, I instantly imagined that it would be super gaudy and ugly, but it turned out to be rather nice-looking. Too bad this Xbox doesn't seem to be gold. I only go to Taco Hell/Taco Smell like once every 10 years, but I do find their promotions interesting.

19 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I remember when Taco Bell did the gold PS4 promotion thingy. I actually rather liked that gold Taco Bell PS4. When I first heard about it, I instantly imagined that it would be super gaudy and ugly, but it turned out to be rather nice-looking. Too bad this Xbox doesn't seem to be gold. I only go to Taco Hell/Taco Smell like once every 10 years, but I do find their promotions interesting.

Remember when the original Xbox 360's had different theme skins and customized faceplates?  Even the OG Xbox had a translucent green case for promoting Halo 2.

Now everything designed these days are dull, that's what makes me miss the 2000's... :?

4 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

Remember when the original Xbox 360's had different theme skins and customized faceplates?  Even the OG Xbox had a translucent green case for promoting Halo 2.

Now everything designed these days are dull, that's what makes me miss the 2000's... :?

Yeah, I do, now that you have reminded me! I hadn't thought about that for years. I did find one of those transparent black original Xboxes a few days ago in town in a bin next to an FM Towns Marty. It was heavy, so I put it back in the bin without checking the price.

this one: https://realvana.exblog.jp/iv/detail/?s=18158759&i=201211%2F12%2F66%2Ff0064066_1133750.jpg

Edited by Steven Pendleton

On 10/4/2020 at 1:11 AM, Loafer said:

It’s a fair point to suggest there is way better value for the Xbox series X.  

In saying that we are talking about 500gb difference between the two.  Anyone who feels they will need to add another 1 TB will likely feel they need to do so for the series X as well, maybe just a bit quicker. For this reason I don’t feel you will spend less money on the series X in the long run

Looks like the difference between X and S is more then that.

I just checked MS website to see the comparison, and one big difference I saw was in performance. The X is 12 TFLOPS and S is 4 TFLOPS, plus no BD drive on S, and lower resolution games.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/compare

On 10/13/2020 at 12:05 PM, amiman99 said:

Looks like the difference between X and S is more then that.

I just checked MS website to see the comparison, and one big difference I saw was in performance. The X is 12 TFLOPS and S is 4 TFLOPS, plus no BD drive on S, and lower resolution games.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/consoles/compare

The Series S was meant to run on 1080p displays, like something people would have in their bedrooms or small apartments.  As such it doesn't need all the extra CPU power or RAM that the Series X has since it doesn't have to run on a 4K display.

But the hardware is still more powerful than the Xbox One X and the next-gen games will stream off the internal storage for instant loading (unlike how current X1 games have to load off the SSD like it's still a hard drive).

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, negative1 said:

Reviews have been very positive

As always with www things, it depends where you are looking ;)

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/05/xbox-series-x-hardware-review-the-new-console-where-nothing-is-new-13541720/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/video-game-system-reviews/microsoft-xbox-series-x-review/

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/21547603/xbox-series-x-review-microsoft-next-gen

The average opinion seems that it's a powerful machine with no must-buy games. Which is something that was pretty obvious for a long time now anyway. If it does not change in the first year or so, they will probably do much better against  Sony this time around but not "win" (much as I hate this term) in the long run.

That's the main problem with both consoles, you got all this backwards compatiblity but only a couple games that are "optimized" or "remastered" that need to show off why we should pay good money for these systems.

Remember the Atari 7800 that had a glut of 2600 carts and the launch titles are the same arcade ports on other systems that had imporved graphics?

I'm taking a wait and see aproach like everyone else but eventually I'll have to replace my X1 S with the Series S since 3D graphical games don't age well.  By that point there'll be enough games that'll just look better...

36 minutes ago, MrMaddog said:

That's the main problem with both consoles, you got all this backwards compatiblity but only a couple games that are "optimized" or "remastered" that need to show off why we should pay good money for these systems.

Remember the Atari 7800 that had a glut of 2600 carts and the launch titles are the same arcade ports on other systems that had imporved graphics?

I'm taking a wait and see aproach like everyone else but eventually I'll have to replace my X1 S with the Series S since 3D graphical games don't age well.  By that point there'll be enough games that'll just look better...

Only people that want graphical upgrades, 4k, 60fps, like saving games, and switching and super fast load times.

None of that means anything to me. But it does to a lot of people, who will instantly upgrade the second a new console comes out.

later

I'll grab a Series X in the new year at some point... maybe once Bethesda announces (officially) Starfield.  The problem with the Series X in 2020 is there is nothing to play on it that I can't already play on my One X.

I also cancelled my PS5 pre-order... might as well let someone else get that system for the holidays.  Sure Demons Souls looks like fun but I have a busy couple of months that I won't be able to enjoy it.  Besides, I think I'll play some Destiny on the Xbox One X as part of the game pass... and some more Fallout lol.  Oh and of course some free time will be to enjoy the Cyberpunk game... with whatever time I have to play it.

I am not in the market for a new console, so this is purely an academic question, but will the Series S and the Series X both play the same games?

I get it that the Series X has better graphics, is faster, etc., but has any software yet been announced that will only run on the Series X?