IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2020)

carlsson

Android Phone: (modern)
QBlock / Block Puzzle [Studio Beetles] - 325 min.

Windows:
Mahjong Titans - 79 min.

Ok, so I felt bored on Saturday after noon and decided to get myself some game to play on my phone. I realized that hthe Block Puzzle I've played on the MSX the last few weeks isn't unique at all, actually there are plenty of those puzzles on Google Play Store. I don't know how many are individually different or the same game reuploaded multiple times by different "publishers", or what really is the unique name as the icon has one name and the in-game title is different. Also I didn't track my times exactly but I surely spent 5 hours on the bed playing until I had to attach the charger, plus a little more later.

• Like 3

PS2

007 Agent Under Fire 1 

007 Nightfire 10

Aqua Aqua 3 

Capcom Classics Collection 3 

Frequency 3 

Mortal Kombat: Deception 4 

Time Splitters II 20 

XOne 

Pac-Man CE II 60

This week was low on gaming, but high on gaming related activity.  I chose to take on the extremely time consuming project of building a 2TB drive of games for my modded PS2.  Most of the PS2 time above is just me testing games after I installed them.  One interesting note is that I logged time for Capcom Classics Collection instead of an individual game within the collection because all I did was boot it up and play a few bonus videos.

• Like 4

PC

Acting Lessons (416 min)

CrossCells (40 min)

Kathy Rain (364 min)

Life is Strange 2 (57 min)

Microsoft Flight Simulator (519 min)

Terraforming Mars (189 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (366 min)

Fit XR (83 min)

Tried to make up for some lost time last week.  Still on a narrative game kick, starting and completing Acting Lessons and Kathy Rain, one an adult visual novel, the other a retro style point and click adventure, and I've now started Life is Strange 2. CrossCells is a numbers-based logic puzzle game that seems more like a mobile game, but I have it on Steam. Got some flying time in with Flight Simulator; they ain't kidding about the simulator part. Both relaxing and stressful (I had to do the landing tutorial a few times...). Played another game of TM and lost horribly.

• Like 2

Week 34

Top games

1. Mary Skelter 2 (US, EU) / Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 for Nintendo Switch (JP) (Switch) - 1440 min. (#1)
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 1207 min. (#2)
3. Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (PC) - 709 min.
4. Acting Lessons (PC) - 416 min.
5. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 366 min. (#3)
6. Kathy Rain (PC) - 364 min.
7. QBlock / Block Puzzle [Studio Beetles] (Android Phone) - 325 min.
8. Madden NFL 21 (Xbox One) - 214 min.
9. Terraforming Mars (PC) - 189 min.
10. NCAA Football 14 (Xbox 360) - 148 min.

Top systems

1. PC - 1944 min.
2. Xbox One - 1515 min. (#2)
3. Switch - 1440 min. (#1)
4. Oculus Quest - 449 min. (#3)
5. Android Phone - 325 min.
6. Xbox 360 - 199 min. (#7)
7. Vita - 142 min.
8. PS2 - 44 min.
9. iOS - 26 min. (#6)

Total 6084 minutes and 29 different games on 9 different systems.

Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 yet again fends off Call of Duty Modern Warfare by a difference of almost four hours. I assume that Agamon and DrVenkman played the same version of Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) considering the previous one was Flight Simulator X from 2006 (Steam version 2014). Systems wise, the PC platform wins this week after being absent last week.

• Like 2

Switch
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 for Nintendo Switch - 1507

^ almost done. 1 boss (at save point literally 1 square away from the boss), 1 long dungeon with the ridiculously difficult final boss, then the even more difficult post-game and then I'm done with the game. I estimate another 15~20 hours. Will definitely finish this game in the next week, probably for the final time this year; I don't have time to play it again before Finale on October 8th anyway.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 27

PS2

Tales of Destiny Director's Cut - 28

Mostly testing the deinterlace on the Framemeister that I got last night. Will likely actually play this along with the other games I started a few weeks ago (the ones that haven't shown up since then) eventually.

• Like 2

Just one "modern" game for me this week...

XBox

Fable - 226 min (This is on the old "OG" Xbox.  I've had the game for almost as long as I've had the system and have never beaten it.  I'm hoping to slowly, over the next few weeks, play more and more and finally get through it.  I'll no longer be a chicken chaser...)

• Like 1

Not much total time.  I was playing through some games on a soft modded PS2.  Nothing too interesting about these.  I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the PS2 version of Ghostbusters: The Video Game.  On the other end of the spectrum, Heroes of the Pacific looked like it might give me that old Battlehawks 1942 fix, but alas, I couldn't even complete the first tutorial.  The game wanted me to stall the engine and recover - I couldn't figure it out and kept crashing.

PS2 

Alien Hominid 46 

ATV Off-road Fury 18 

Downhill Domination 13 

Extermination 50 

FIFA World Cup 2002 21 

Flipnic Ultimate Pinball 26 

Ghostbusters The Video Game 51 

Grim Grimoire 22 

Heroes of the Pacific 12 

Jeopardy 24 

• Like 1

PC

Life is Strange 2 (149 min)

XB1

Coffee Talk (358 min)

Tell Me Why (219 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (302 min)

FitXR (98 min)

Android Phone

Cytus II (37 min)

Finished the 1st episode of LiS2. It's okay, but it doesn't nearly live up to its predecessor (or the prequel). The story is about two kid brothers on the run, and the constantly changing setting plus the annoying younger brother, Daniel, made me want to move to something else before going to episode 2. Luckily, Dontnod's new game, Tell Me Why, released it's first episode this weekend, and that was great. Happy to hear that this game's episodes are releasing weekly, so that's cool.

Continuing with another narrative game, Coffee Talk has you play as a barista in a coffee shop, that's only open at night, and in Seattle in a world where fantasy races live. You listen to customers converse and try to solve problems while trying to not screw up their drink orders. Weird, but relaxing. Also played a rhythm game for a bit on my phone.

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 1

Week 35

Top games

1. Mary Skelter 2 (US, EU) / Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 for Nintendo Switch (JP) (Switch) - 1507 min. (#1)
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 1231 min. (#2)
3. Coffee Talk (Xbox One) - 358 min.
4. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 302 min. (#5)
5. Fable (Xbox) - 226 min.
6. Tell Me Why (Xbox One) - 219 min.
7. Life is Strange 2 (PC) - 149 min.
8. FitXR (previously BoxVR) (Oculus Quest) - 98 min.
9. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 57 min.
10. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS2) - 51 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 1808 min. (#2)
2. Switch - 1534 min. (#3)
3. Oculus Quest - 400 min. (#4)
4. PS2 - 311 min. (#8)
5. Xbox - 226 min.
6. PC - 149 min. (#1)
7. iOS - 57 min. (#9)
8. Android Phone - 37 min. (#5)

Total 4522 minutes and 22 different games on 8 different systems.

For the fourth consecutive week, Kangokutuo Mary Skelter 2 takes the title ahead of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, followed by a bunch of reoccurring games and some entries new to the tracker. Systems wise, the PC platform takes a nose dive which moves the Xbox One, Switch and Oculus Quest up by one notch each.

Short stats tell that the tracker now is up to 922 entries and 802,391 min of which 282,301 min in 2020. Beat Saber becomes the 6th game to exceed 15K minutes.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

Congratulations! Then again that is 12 hours of video games per pound you've lost. I don't know what the going rate is for an exercise bike, cross-trainer or traditional boxing training. Also it depends on how intense you're going, I suppose.

The main goal is to do something that gets me off my butt, the weight loss is secondary, but nice.  I did other activities for exercise before this year, but they weren't nearly as fun. I still look forward to Beat Saber time, can't say the same about the exercise bike...

• Like 1

I understand that Atari were close to releasing the Puffer exercise bike in the 80's, but canned it at the last second. It might've interested me to exercise more, as I prefer the retro games over the modern ones.

Briefly, I've connected a PlayStation 2 dance mat to a PSX64 interface and tried to play a few games. Decathlon was much too taxing for my condition, but Mogul Maniac is kind of fun and perhaps on the same level of exercise as what you get from Beat Saber if I could maintain playing it for hours every week.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Well, I estimated it would take me another 15~20 hours to finish the game, but I think that was a bit too generous. Not sure what the exact time is (and it's actually going to change since I want to get all 10 endings, which will take a little while), but I'll figure it out later when it's time to actually post times on Monday.

Anyway, I have a question about Switch Sega Ages games. Do they belong here or in the other tracker? M2 has gone and added new modes and stuff to the existing games, Virtua Racing seems to be a complete remake instead of a weird emulation+port hybrid of the original version like most of M2's other releases from what I understand, and I'm not sure if I should count them here since they are "new" or over in the old games tracker since they are technically old games and, with the exception of Virtua Racing, can be played as they were originally designed. I haven't actually played any of them, but I am curious to know what I should do just in case I do.

It is always hard to tell what is a perfect emulation and what is a remake to mimic the original game. In the middle of August, wongojack played Hang On through Yu Suzuki Game Works on the Dreamcast (thus classic tracker) and it was a border case if that should count as Arcade or Dreamcast, as a blog noted that the games look very close to the original, but with small details changed like advertisement boards not present in the arcade version. That time I determined that despite these small differences, it pretty much seemed like an emulation of the original arcade games. If the other games in the Sega Ages series appear like emulation, you could list them under the original format. I know a good bit of other retro games have been played on newer consoles under the assumption those run the original code, and since these trackers are not a matter of life or death, we can sometimes be a bit liberal and better give the benefit of the doubt than counting cycles and pixels.

Yeah, Sega Ages is an interesting case, I think, especially given that some aspects of those games are emulated, but other aspects apparently run natively on the Switch. I'm really not sure how it works, but there are lots of new things that got added, like how you can now fly the Rynex from Thunder Force IV in Sega Ages Thunder Force AC, complete with the Thunder Sword.

The only one that actually looks to me like a brand new game is Virtua Racing, and that's the one that I was mostly curious about since it's not really like the other Sega Ages games. I think that one, at least, probably goes in the modern tracker since it's apparently a complete rebuild of the original game using entirely new assets created just for the Switch and goes far beyond the scope of the original arcade game.

I'm not even going to get into stuff like the new online mode in Sega Ages Herzog Zwei (can't play it anyway since I refuse to pay to play online) or what things like Castlevania Requiem on the PS4 count as, though, since that one in particular is really weird.

• Like 1

Switch

Fire Emblem Three Houses - 18

^ just a short test to see if my Japanese is good enough to play it in Japanese. I think it should be no problem, but I think I will play some other games first instead.
Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2 for Nintendo Switch - 919

My guess of 15~20 hours was accurate, but only by 19 minutes. The long journey is over... until Finale releases. I mentioned last time that I don't have time to play this game again before Finale releases on October 8, but that has changed; less than 12 hours after I mentioned this, Finale got delayed a second time, this time to November 5. I have time to play it again, but I won't. I do technically have some stuff to finish on the PS4 version that is exclusive to that version, but maybe later.
The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories - 35

Yes, MISSING is in all caps for some reason on the game's official website. I somehow got it both on Switch and PS4, but I only tested it for 11 minutes on Switch before beating the whole thing on the PS4 and then coming back to Switch for an extra 24 minutes. Can't say anything about this game without spoilers, but I can say that it runs badly on PS4 and worse on Switch.
Sega Ages Virtua Racing - 10

Here it is. I played it after all. Still not 100% sure if this belongs here or over in the other tracker, but I think it belongs here.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 108

PS4
The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories - 373
Interesting game. Runs poorly at times, and why is there persistent screen tearing during the credits? I did miss some stuff. Game doesn't really have much replay value at all, but maybe I'll get the stuff I missed. Maybe not.

PC
StarCraft II - 37

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1