IGNORED

What have you ACTUALLY played tracker - Modern Edition (2020)

carlsson

Week 13

Top games

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 2176 min. (#2)
2. Darkest Dungeon (PC) - 917 min.
3. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 859 min. (#3)
4. RBI Baseball 20 (Xbox One) - 672 min.
5. Armor Alley (DOS web remake) (Browser based) - 580 min.
6. Flame in the Flood, The (Xbox One) - 579 min.
7. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 539 min. (#7)
8. Borderlands 3 (Xbox One) - 520 min.
9. DOOM (2016 reboot) (Xbox One) - 515 min.
10. Alien: Isolation (Switch) - 380 min.

Top systems

1. Xbox One - 3604 min. (#2)
2. Switch - 2966 min. (#1)
3. PC - 2058 min. (#3)
4. Browser based - 595 min.
5. Oculus Quest - 539 min. (#4)
6. iOS - 361 min. (#7)

Total 10123 minutes and 27 different games on 6 different systems.

Another week with a lot of games played, not that surprising to see it headed by Animal Crossing which is the game pretty much every influencer, YouTuber, other people in social media etc are crazy about. Even those who never play video games otherwise seem to have been hooked on this one, some even willing to spend twice the list price to get a Switch as they're supposedly sold out in some places?!? The rest of the list is a mix of old favorites and new entries. Systems wise the Xbox One retakes the title.

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (March 30th through April 5th) on modern systems...

Gameboy Advance:

Super Army War - 20 min.

Super Army War is the Gameboy Advance version of Armor Alley and Rescue Raiders which I played on the classic tracker. Super Army War has much better and fluid graphics and sound, but it's been simplified in that you don't get to choose which ground troops get deployed, rather this happens automatically. In Round 2 your helicopter is replaced by a plane which is faster, but much harder to steer. I didn't like this one as much and went back to the Apple II original.

• Like 5

It feels like now I have a second job... to Tom Nook.  ;)  Here's my times for the week:

Switch:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 2754 minutes

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends - 376 minutes

Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! - 483 minutes

So the elephant in the room is obviously Animal Crossing- what the heck is up with all that time?!?  Wellllll....  This game is a great distraction for me over the last few weeks; I can go into my game, bum around, harass a villager or two, fish, pay down some more money to the Nook-man.  It's easy for me as well to play inbetween tasks at work (though they are many, ha).  I think Animal Crossing in part is helping me keep what sanity I have left with all that's going on.

Going in the fine tradition of games that are named goofy, Bubble Bobble 4 Friends has so far been a fun game.  Taito stayed really close to the fundamental Bubble Bobble format I felt like, and the some of the levels were kind of hard for me- I was a little embarrassed when they game helpfully offered to continue on a boss with Invulnerability enabled.  ?  Again, this game hits all the notes that make a game fun for me- tight controls, great visuals, snappy music.  The added bonus is that they have a port of the arcade Bubble Bobble as well.  I'm on the fence whether or not it's worth $40 US, but I think that I'll get my money's worth out of the game.

I got annoyed with my progress in Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon so started it the heck over.  I've found with this particular dungeon-crawler that it is super super grindy and that it really wants to guide you towards a certain playstyle to be successful in the levels- I kind of disagree with this philosophy a bit, but I'm plugging through because dammit, im going to finish the game.

Xbox One:

Borderlands 3 -- 453 minutes

Dribs and drabs on Borderlands 3.  I'm looking forward to purchasing (again) the games on the Switch.

• Like 4

This past week got off to a fairly normal start. I continued my second play through of Alien: Isolation for the year, had a nice evening playing Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar on the Genesis with the misses and swapping the controller back and forth between levels until we beat it, and then... then I got Animal Crossing: New Horizons for the Switch. Just like when I got Animal Crossing on the DS and 3DS, I feel like it's pretty safe to say that this game will now become the totality of my existence for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Outside of the Animal Crossing madness I did spend a little time playing Castlevania via emulation on my phone to test out a gameplay and audio recording setup I'm working on, which had a few hiccups but I think I can iron them out and start doing Let's Play videos of some of my favorite retro games as a little side hobby fairly soon. That about covers it for this week though, so here's my household's times! 

Opsrhso.jpg

Ineligible

Castlevania (NES) - 177 minutes

Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Sega Genesis) - 147 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Alien: Isolation - 515 minutes

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1,035 minutes

Tetris 99 - 10 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week

1,884 minutes (31 hours 24 minutes) [1,560 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Switch: 1,560 minutes

NES: 177 minutes

Sega Genesis: 147 minutes

Edited by Skippy B. Coyote
  • Like 4

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (585 min)

Tetris Effect (185 min)

PC

Darkest Dungeon (286 min)

Tabletopia (376 min)

Twilight Struggle (97 min)

XB1

Borderlands 2 (97 min)

State of Decay 2 (414 min)

My brother and I finished our game of BL2 on Friday and played a game of Twilight Struggle on Saturday (I took the win again, this time as USA in 6 turns). We had plans of co-oping State of Decay 2, but it works by one person coming into another person's game to help with that player's missions. We may do that, not sure, but I'm right into the game (all my minutes are from Sunday).

Played on Tabletopia again, four of us played Brass: Birmingham this time (I won, by concentrating on the area around Birmingham, go figure). Not quite done with Darkest Dungeon yet, either, though I'll be hitting the pause button on that while playing SoD2. I also picked up Tetris Effect during Epic's spring sale, which is pretty cool to play in VR.

Edited by Agamon
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Skippy B. Coyote said:

This past week got off to a fairly normal start. I continued my second play through of Alien: Isolation for the year, had a nice evening playing Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar on the Genesis with the misses and swapping the controller back and forth between levels until we beat it, and then... then I got Animal Crossing: New Horizons for the Switch. Just like when I got Animal Crossing on the DS and 3DS, I feel like it's pretty safe to say that this game will now become the totality of my existence for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Outside of the Animal Crossing madness I did spend a little time playing Castlevania via emulation on my phone to test out a gameplay and audio recording setup I'm working on, which had a few hiccups but I think I can iron them out and start doing Let's Play videos of some of my favorite retro games as a little side hobby fairly soon. That about covers it for this week though, so here's my household's times! 

Opsrhso.jpg

Ineligible

Castlevania (NES) - 177 minutes

Lightening Force: Quest for the Darkstar (Sega Genesis) - 147 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Alien: Isolation - 515 minutes

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 1,035 minutes

Tetris 99 - 10 minutes

1,884 minutes (31 hours 24 minutes) [1,560 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,560 minutes

NES: 177 minutes

Sega Genesis: 147 minutes

just look at my Animal Crossing times and that will tell you allll you need to know. ;)  My wife has put in almost as much time as me on her copy.

• Like 2

Week 14

Top games

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 3789 min. (#1)
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 951 min. (#3)
3. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 585 min. (#7)
4. Alien: Isolation (Switch) - 515 min. (#10)
5. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! (Switch) - 483 min.
6. Borderlands 3 (Xbox One) - 453 min. (#8)
7. State of Decay 2 (Xbox One) - 414 min.
8. Bubble Bobble 4 Friends (Switch) - 376 min.
8. Tabletopia (PC) - 376 min.
10. Disneyland Adventures (Xbox One) - 287 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 5173 min. (#2)
2. Xbox One - 2730 min. (#1)
3. PC - 962 min. (#3)
4. Oculus Quest - 770 min. (#5)
5. iOS - 233 min. (#6)
6. Xbox 360 - 41 min.
7. GBA - 20 min.

Total 9929 minutes and 25 different games on 7 different systems.

It probably is not a surprise to anyone that Animal Crossing: New Horizons takes the title for the second week in a row. Currently it completely dominates the tracker with 38% of the total minutes and 73% of the Switch times.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

Dumb question. This looks like fun and I want to participate I believe. If I play an Atari 2600 homebrew that goes under classic correct even though it came out after 2000?

Correct, it's the system that matters, not the game.

• Like 3

Also a few systems are a bit cross-over, mainly Arcade but also Windows. In unclear cases like Windows games released in 2000 or later, I try to look up minimum specs to determine if it belongs to the classic or modern tracker. As a rule of thumb, I look at the CPUs available in 1999:

February 1999: 450-500 MHz Pentium III

June 1999: 500-700 MHz AMD Athlon (K7)

November 1999: 550-1000 MHz AMD Athlon (K75)

December 1999: 750-800 MHz Pentium III

November 2000: 1.4 GHz Pentium 4 (so modern)

So any game released in 2000 or later with a minimum spec of 1 GHz would be a modern one. I suppose one could even make the cutoff at 700 MHz but it is a more difficult number to remember.

• Thanks 1

Here are my times for this past week (April 6th through 12th) on modern systems...

Browser based:

Helicopter Strike Force - 2 min.

Fire Helicopter - 5 min.

Like on classic systems, I was looking for helicopter games on the Internet as well this week. Helicopter Strike Force has a top-down view, but I couldn't quite figure out what to do. In Fire Helicopter, you have to put out fires with your helicopter using a bucket of water, shown as a side scroller similar to Choplifter. Still you can't rescue any men, and it didn't hold my breath for too long.

• Like 4

Not mixing it up an awful lot this week, but a new game thrown in.  The fact that my games span A-D alphabetically amuses me.  :D

Switch:

Animal Crossing: New Horizons -- 2136 minutes

Bubble Bobble 4 Friends -- 253 minutes

Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! -- 600 minutes  (even time due to scheduling)

Doom 2016 -- 490 minutes

• Like 3

PC  

Astrologaster 10 

Human Resource Machine 25 

Overcooked II 18 

Pinball FX3 51 

Shadow of the Tomb Raider 36 

Slay the Spire 91 

Wii 

Boom Box Bash Party 60 

Cooking Mama World Kitchen 29 

Rhythm Heaven Fever 90 

Wii U 

Game & Wario 57 

Nintendo land 79 

Super Mario 3d World 365 

Wii Party U 179 

X360 

Carcassonne 24 

XBox One 

Flame in the Flood, The 95 

Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time 25 

Minit 118 

Overlooked II 48 

Spyro Reignited Trilogy 35

A lot more variety for me this week because I have a house guest.  My niece got out of NYC recently and is doing a lockdown/quarantine with me and my wife, so we've been playing a lot more coop games and bouncing between different titles.   The largest individual time is for Super Mario 3d World on The Wii U which is a game that was installed on my Wii U when I bought it second hand.  I'm not really a big fan of Mario games in general, but I've played my fair share.  This one has the characters from SMB 2 put into an overworld like Super Mario World except it is all 3d, meaning it is waay harder to jump directly on something - LOL.  I haven't really done much research about the game, but it seem like there are only 5 "worlds" to explore instead of the usual 8 in an SMB game.  We are already into world 5 with just over 6 hours played.

• Like 4

A really good week for gaming here this past week! Outside of the life consuming wonder that is Animal Crossing: New Horizons, I finished up my second play through of Alien: Isolation for the year and got some retro gaming in as well. With the aid of the Mega SD flash cart I played some Crime Patrol and Mortal Kombat for the Sega CD, the latter of which was especially cool since the Mega SD chops down all the constant load times to next to nothing, then played a little Super Mario Bros. for the NES on the Switch. For the misses's gaming time this past week she played Final Fight CD on the Mega SD (which is sadly one of the few games that's still bugged on it and crashes every time on the second level) then had a lot more fun of a time playing the Genesis hack Sonic 3 Complete.

Sonic 3 Complete takes Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles and mashes them together into one game with the original prototype stage order from when they were in development as one game, adds in new and very well thought out transition sequences between stages, and a whole bunch of other nice features like being able to stop and restart Super Sonic mode at will once you have all the chaos emeralds and not having to listen to the invincibility music every time you go Super Sonic. Until Tanglewood came along, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was my all time favorite Genesis game and from what I've seen so far Sonic 3 Complete sure seems like the very best way to play it. :)

Ineligible

Crime Patrol (Sega CD) - 20 minutes

Final Fight CD (Sega CD) - 40 minutes

Mortal Kombat (Sega CD) - 49 minutes

Sonic 3 Complete (Sega Genesis) - 98 minutes

Super Mario Bros. (NES) - 45 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Alien: Isolation - 350 minutes

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 915 minutes

1,517 minutes (25 hours 17 minutes) [1,265 minutes eligible]

Nintendo Switch: 1,265 minutes

Sega CD: 109 minutes

Sega Genesis: 98 minutes

NES: 45 minutes

• Like 3

PC

Jackbox Party Pack 6 (267 min)

Tabletopia (207 min)

XB1

State of Decay 2 (518 min)

PS4

Persona 5 (146 min)

Oculus Quest

Beat Saber (383 min)

Finished my State of Decay 2 campaign with a Trader leader. Two of my original four survivors made it to the end, and I had 8 people in my group by the end, which I can now pick from for future games.  The game was a lot of fun, and I plan on going at it again soon.  Well, relatively soon. I started playing Persona 5 on Sunday. Wow, this game is something else. And after tonight I'm 5.5 hours in and still really in the tutorial. Well, it's been about 20% tutorial and 80% exposition. JRPGs, amirite?

Played Brass: Birmingham on Tabletopia again, but didn't win this time.  Also, I had planned on going back home for the long weekend, but of course that didn't happen, but party game night with my friends back home still happened, just virtually, over Discord.  We played Jackbox 6, mostly Push the Button, but some Joke Boat, too.

• Like 4

Week 15

Top games

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 3051 min. (#1)
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 936 min. (#2)
3. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! (Switch) - 600 min. (#5)
4. State of Decay 2 (Xbox One) - 518 min. (#7)
5. DOOM (2016 reboot) (Switch) - 490 min.
6. Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox One) - 480 min.
7. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 383 min. (#3)
8. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - 365 min.
9. Alien: Isolation (Switch) - 350 min. (#4)
10. Jackbox Party Pack Vol. 6 (PC) - 267 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 4744 min. (#1)
2. Xbox One - 2582 min. (#2)
3. PC - 946 min. (#3)
4. Wii U - 680 min.
5. Oculus Quest - 383 min. (#4)
6. iOS - 187 min. (#5)
7. Wii - 179 min.
8. PS4 - 146 min.
9. DS - 75 min.
10. Xbox 360 - 24 min. (#10)

Total 9953 minutes and 41 different games on 11 different systems.

The top two games from last week retain their positions, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons is almost as dominant as in week 14. A good variation of games and systems brings the total to 11 different systems, yet again the top three from last week remain in the same positions.

All-time, the top list currently look like this:

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 79582 min. (103 times)

2. Borderlands 3 (Xbox One) - 16095 min. (17 times)

3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 15883 min. (18 times)

4. Call of Duty Black Ops 4 (Xbox One) - 11976 min. (16 times)

5. NCAA Football 13 (Xbox 360) - 10060 min. (5 times)

6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 9916 min. (4 times)

7. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 9465 min. (36 times)

Welcome to new participants, and in case anyone just is watching, feel free to log your times and post next week!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Week 15

Top games

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 3051 min. (#1)
2. Call of Duty Modern Warfare (Xbox One) - 936 min. (#2)
3. Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon EVERY BUDDY! (Switch) - 600 min. (#5)
4. State of Decay 2 (Xbox One) - 518 min. (#7)
5. DOOM (2016 reboot) (Switch) - 490 min.
6. Star Wars Battlefront II (Xbox One) - 480 min.
7. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - 383 min. (#3)
8. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - 365 min.
9. Alien: Isolation (Switch) - 350 min. (#4)
10. Jackbox Party Pack Vol. 6 (PC) - 267 min.

Top systems

1. Switch - 4744 min. (#1)
2. Xbox One - 2582 min. (#2)
3. PC - 946 min. (#3)
4. Wii U - 680 min.
5. Oculus Quest - 383 min. (#4)
6. iOS - 187 min. (#5)
7. Wii - 179 min.
8. PS4 - 146 min.
9. DS - 75 min.
10. Xbox 360 - 24 min. (#10)

Total 9953 minutes and 41 different games on 11 different systems.

The top two games from last week retain their positions, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons is almost as dominant as in week 14. A good variation of games and systems brings the total to 11 different systems, yet again the top three from last week remain in the same positions.

All-time, the top list currently look like this:

1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds (Xbox One) - 79582 min. (103 times)

2. Borderlands 3 (Xbox One) - 16095 min. (17 times)

3. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 15883 min. (18 times)

4. Call of Duty Black Ops 4 (Xbox One) - 11976 min. (16 times)

5. NCAA Football 13 (Xbox 360) - 10060 min. (5 times)

6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch) - 9916 min. (4 times)

7. Microsoft Solitaire Collection (iOS) - 9465 min. (36 times)

Welcome to new participants, and in case anyone just is watching, feel free to log your times and post next week!

I think it's funny that Animal Crossing has only been out since 3/20 and is already #6.  I feel partly responsible for the crazy times for BL3 and AC:NH, haha

• Like 3

It was definitely one of the busier weeks for gaming around here, mostly on account of me seriously needing a break from all the stress and anxiety of the whole COVID-19 situation. With that in mind I decide to take the weekend off from any and all adult responsibilities and pretty much just played video games all day Saturday and Sunday. First I decided to put that $20 a year Nintendo Switch Online subscription to good use and fired up the built-in NES emulator to play through one of my all time favorite NES games that I hadn't played in years, Kirby's Adventure. 

Kirby was delightful as ever, and after that was finished I did a little further exploration into my large digital library of Sega Genesis games that I've never played on the Mega SD & Mega SG combo. It took a couple tries to beat it but I did a full play through of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist, and holy heck what an awesome beat 'em up that was! The misses and I also tried out Streets of Rage 2 for the first time, and while we didn't manage to beat the game it was still a fantastic experience. The music is just phenomenal in that game too! 

Rounding out the week, the spousal unit finished up her play through of Sonic 3 Complete for the Genesis and I started in on a timeless NES game that I haven't played in the better part of a decade, the original Legend of Zelda! It's been so long since I played it that I don't remember where to go or where almost anything is, so it's been a lot like playing it for the first time and I'm going to see if I can make it all the way through and beat the game with no resources other than the instruction manual and pack-in map. I'm on Level 5 at this point so wish me luck! :)

mPtXbbi.jpg

Ineligible

Kirby's Adventure (NES, Played on Nintendo Switch Online) - 355 minutes

Sonic 3 Complete (Sega Genesis) - 221 minutes

Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis) - 63 minutes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis) - 171 minutes

The Legend of Zelda (NES, Played on Nintendo Switch Online) - 335 minutes

Nintendo Switch

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 600 minutes

1,745 minutes (29 hours 5 minutes) [600 minutes eligible]