IGNORED

I have this old color monitor...

damosan

...that I use with 800s and a 800 XL.  The display (for it's age - this sucker came off the lines in the 80s) is really pretty sharp.

I have two 130s that seem to have issues with this guy.  Games and such play fine but each 130 treats text displays in a "special" way.  One of them likes to squash the text towards the top of the screen while the other does so further down the screen.  I've had the RAM socketed, replaced, and tested in one of the 130s so it's not that.  It seems like XEs aren't putting out the signals as cleanly/strongly as the previous gen machines do.

I could be wrong - I'm wrong often.

To the point of the post: Anyone have any good suggestions on something to allow me to use an HDMI rig with 8bits?  I know about VBXE (and I plan to get one to play with) but I'm also looking for something more generally useful that I can move from machine to machine.  I've tried a few upscalers in the past and the performance was always sort of ... (very) poor.

Thanks.

VBXE puts out RGB, so you'd still need a converter to make that into HDMI. As for the more standard video coming out of a stock 130XE, your best bet is to first get it to be the best it can be, and put it in a Mini-DIN4 S-Video output. A UAV upgrade would give you the best S-Video signal. Then you at least stand a chance of seeing a decent video quality from a S-Video to HDMI converter. As for which converter to use? There have been several reviews of such on this forum. I would suggest doing a search of this forum with HDMI in the search query, and then read the reviews.

There are HDMI converters for RGB, Composite, S-VHS (even all of the above in one package). They will all want to put 720p out as a minimum as that is the lower end of the HDMI standard, so there will always be upscale to contend with.

Another thing to be aware of is that any HDMI converter by its nature is going to induce some delay or aliasing to the video output, just due to it being a digital frame standard as opposed to the analog output the Atari produces. On the other hand you will probably have no chance of actually perceiving the delay, but on the other based on when and how the frame is captured you might see some artifacting related to that.