IGNORED

OS/A+ 4.1 customization

tschak909

Has anyone attempted to customize an OS/A+ installation to add something other than a 180K or 360K disk? 

It's very much possible by modifying DRVTAB, and adjusting the DRVTAB. It is also indicated that INIT.COM needs to be modified (source code available from OSS), has anyone gotten that source code? or will I need to just disassemble it and see how/where the drive parameters are derived? ;)

I want to try and make a 16MB disk. ;)

-Thom

• Like 1

I also find it very interesting that OS/A+ 4.1 needed a separate COPY24.COM command to move files from the Atari DOS FMS to the v4 FMS.

This is strange to me, because the ADOS.COM is LITERALLY a resident CIO driver that implements the A: device, which implements a full copy of the DOS 2.0 FMS.

What gives?

-Thom

Regarding the OS/A+ 4.1, I remember playing with it some time ago, and:

1) it would be better for it to keep MEMLO lower. IIRC, it was $2C00.

2) the filesystem used does not seem to allow detection of the EOF earlier than at a sector boundary. So, create a file, write 1 byte to it, close the file - and while reading it later you will get back your byte + 255 zeros before status 136 comes in.

Apple DOS FS (which is used there) does not hold the file's exact length anywhere, on Apple text files always end with an EOF character, and the rest keeps the actual file's length in the header of the file itself. So the directory keeps actual type of the file: 0 for a text file, 1 for Integer BASIC, 2 for Applesoft BASIC, 4 for binary file... Not very practical thing on Atari, I would say.

Edited by drac030
typo
  • Like 1