IGNORED

Evercade?!

Video

I'm pretty excited by the Data East announcement! Hopefully, they keep releasing Data East compilations until we get most (if not all) of their arcade library on cartridge. At a minimum, it would be cool to see all of the titles owned by G-Mode be put on the Evercade.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm surprised there aren't any Sega collections. Sega certainly hasn't been shy about releasing Genesis compilations, so it seems like putting some on the Evercade would be an obvious choice. Would also be fantastic to see Master System or SG-1000 compilations, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chicgamer said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm surprised there aren't any Sega collections. Sega certainly hasn't been shy about releasing Genesis compilations, so it seems like putting some on the Evercade would be an obvious choice. would also be fantastic to see Master System or SG-1000 compilations, too.

Super obvious, yeah. It's clear that for whatever reason (cost, lack of sufficient ROI, competing contracts, etc.), Sega has no interest. No doubt Blaze would jump at anything Sega would give them from their vast home console/computer or arcade platforms. I'd say Sega and Konami are the two most dramatic omissions, though there are definitely others.

• Like 4

At least Konami games are featured in the Arcade Archives series, unlike SEGA's catalogue. The only recent "compilation" of SEGA arcade games is basically the Astro City Mini. Capcom is not featured in the AA series either and there probably won't be Capcom Evercade carts, but at least they released quite extensive compilations on modern platforms (and yeah, I know, it's not on Evercade, but to me the important thing is to make them available one way or the other).

• Like 5

5 hours ago, chicgamer said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm surprised there aren't any Sega collections. Sega certainly hasn't been shy about releasing Genesis compilations, so it seems like putting some on the Evercade would be an obvious choice. Would also be fantastic to see Master System or SG-1000 compilations, too.

Sega of Japan put the brakes hard on any new collections for a couple different reasons.

First, reputational damage. AtGames made Sega look really bad with all their crappy TV consoles, the Nintendo Switch Genesis Classics compilation continues a tradition of crappy emulation, and the Astro City V was widely criticized for terrible lag and didn't sell well. After Sega of America was responsible for the first two and Sega subsidiary Sega Toys for the last. Sega Toys isn't even allowed to use Sega games anymore, and Sega of America is not allowed to license out anything except Sonic IP without direct permission.

Second, devaluation of IP. Ironically the success of the Evercade (among many other retro revival efforts like Hamster's Arcade Archives) has proven to a lot of companies that they can make money off their old games in smaller quantities and they don't need to offer 40 games in $15 packs anymore.

Current products are allowed to stay in print but they won't be issuing new licenses until Sega of Japan feels both of those concerns are in a better place.

My hope is that as Evercade continues to raise its profile and Sega of Japan feels better about these that Sega may become a partner. Not gonna happen quick, though.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Well, I guess we then know everything we can expect to see from

Blaze during 2024.

I’ll probably get both Bartops.

I really fell in love with Zero Wing, so Toaplan 3 is pretty likely, but will check out some gameplay videos.

New Data East collection also looks pretty cool. Very likely.

Tombraider - probably not. I remember the settings were cool, but the gameplay was made overtly frustrating on occasions due to camera-stuff + not so much my type.

Thalamus: Armalyte is pretty legend-stuff for C64 lovers, - and on Antstream its a small nightmare to play (due to lag). Thalamus: Probably.

— — —

And now for some potentially controversial-opinion stuff:

I hope Blaze relaeses a Capcom 60 Arcade-games cartridge for $ 19.99-justkidding-&-take-it-easy-folks😜

On a tiny tiny bit more serious note, - perhaps even indulging some real-life wet-fantasies here - :

I hope that Blaze do the Bartop-move with Taito or another ‘bigger name’ next year.

I’d really like to see a Namco Arcade collection… or Bartop (dual) thing. 

Sure, I can understand that any such undertakings wouldn’t necessarily have each unit come with more than 6 games each … but hey, I think stuff like that is kinda cool if the titles built in are good.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Sega of Japan put the brakes hard on any new collections for a couple different reasons.

First, reputational damage. AtGames made Sega look really bad with all their crappy TV consoles, the Nintendo Switch Genesis Classics compilation continues a tradition of crappy emulation, and the Astro City V was widely criticized for terrible lag and didn't sell well. After Sega of America was responsible for the first two and Sega subsidiary Sega Toys for the last. Sega Toys isn't even allowed to use Sega games anymore, and Sega of America is not allowed to license out anything except Sonic IP without direct permission.

Second, devaluation of IP. Ironically the success of the Evercade (among many other retro revival efforts like Hamster's Arcade Archives) has proven to a lot of companies that they can make money off their old games in smaller quantities and they don't need to offer 40 games in $15 packs anymore.

Current products are allowed to stay in print but they won't be issuing new licenses until Sega of Japan feels both of those concerns are in a better place.

My hope is that as Evercade continues to raise its profile and Sega of Japan feels better about these that Sega may become a partner. Not gonna happen quick, though.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of all of this. I was specifically thinking of all of the AtGames consoles when talking about Genesis collections. I also wondered if having Genesis games as part of the Nintendo Switch Online expansion might interfere with releasing those games elsewhere. Not that Nintendo would ever get in the way of company releasing their games elsewhere ...

Anyway, I guess this helps explain why we haven't seen any more Sega Arcade1Up cabinets. I just wish Sega would do something with their arcade library.

• Like 3

For those who missed the big news, two new carts coming in November:

Toaplan 3:

Out Zone
Ghox
FixEight
Vimana
Batsugun
Batsugun: Special Edition
Truxton II

Data East Arcade 2:
Joe and Mac Return
Crude Buster
Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory
The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy
Trio: The Punch
B-Wings
Super Real Darwin
Express Raider
Last Mission
Midnight Resistance
Shoot Out
Super BurgerTime

• Like 2

On 6/19/2024 at 5:56 PM, Giles N said:

I hope Blaze relaeses a Capcom 60 Arcade-games cartridge for $ 19.99-justkidding-&-take-it-easy-folks😜

I'd be happy with just dumps of the official pack-ins and secret/unlockable games. Really surprised that doesn't seem to have happened already. They probably aren't set up too differently than the standard carts, and are probably worth sacrificing a double.

Edited by Reaperman

5 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

I'd be happy with just dumps of the official pack-ins and secret/unlockable games. Really surprised that doesn't seem to have happened already. They probably aren't set up too differently than the standard carts, and are probably worth sacrificing a double.

The games are just ROMs you can find from any ROM site on the Internet. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, madman said:

The games are just ROMs you can find from any ROM site on the Internet. 

I'd ideally want them with all the official evercade niceties done for me, like the control diagrams, menu icons, configs/emus etc.

The available evercade tools do a 'sometimes kind of okay' job, but I'm all for keeping the effort down and polish up. 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reaperman said:

I'd ideally want them with all the official evercade niceties done for me, like the control diagrams, menu icons, configs/emus etc.

The available evercade tools do a 'sometimes kind of okay' job, but I'm all for keeping the effort down and polish up. 

Here are the emulators they use: https://evercade.co.uk/credits/

2 hours ago, Reaperman said:

The dual cart unlock games are allegedly coming to EXP soon. I am not sure what you mean otherwise?

• Like 1

I talked about it with the wife, funding approval's obtained, but I don't feel quite awesome about that price yet.

...and as soon as I pick one I'm sure they'll announce a way-awesome 194x shmup-based one, or something.

So the street fighter cab, has all the main street fighters except the very best one--which is on the one on the hyper mega tech. 🤷‍♂️

The mega man one has 6 buttons for compatibility, but none of it's built-ins use 6-button layouts at all(?). I like MM's games more, but I'd probably swap button color on three of them to deemphasize the 6-button count on mega man. I know it's picky. 'Could have thrown one 6-button capcom fighter on there so the layout made sense. I think darkstalkers even used that button color scheme.

gzEZkk0.png

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Reaperman said:

The mega man one has 6 buttons for compatibility, but none of it's built-ins use 6-button layouts at all(?). I like MM's games more, but I'd probably swap button color on three of them to deemphasize the 6-button count on mega man. I know it's picky. 'Could have thrown one 6-button capcom fighter on there so the layout made sense. I think darkstalkers even used that button color scheme.

I get what you're saying about having a fighting game on there, but I also don't think anyone should be buying any of these if they don't intend to buy additional cartridges. Their ultimate value is in their expandability via cartridge, and, as such, you need all of the buttons for compatibility.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I talked about it with the wife, funding approval's obtained, but I don't feel quite awesome about that price yet.

...and as soon as I pick one I'm sure they'll announce a way-awesome 194x shmup-based one, or something.

So the street fighter cab, has all the main street fighters except the very best one--which is on the one on the hyper mega tech. 🤷‍♂️

gzEZkk0.png

Personally I wish they'd throw in a couple more games before production.  Certainly a couple of Non-fighters would be Great on the SFII machine,  just to mix it up...And even if I'm not too into fighters at all these days,  putting a couple of extra ones on the Mega Man cab would be cool,  even if it's just to use some more buttons. 

PS  Also,  I wish one of these machines (or the Deluxe model) had Breath of Fire*,...Just something I personally dig :)

*Yeah I know it's on EXP,  Wish I had a cart with those games** (grumble,  grumble) 

**Besides my cart for SNES which I've had a long time  (heh)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Yeah I know it's on EXP,  Wish I had a cart with those games** (grumble,  grumble)

They could release a special-edition cart for $1999 😛

(in addition to 17 Capcom games, you get 4 high-quality self-assembly sticker-sets, super-glue tubes, blank plastic sheets, several QR-codes to get to links with images of the signatures of famous game-designers and many water-resistent ink-pens… total freedom!)

Edited by Giles N
  • Haha 3

On 6/21/2024 at 1:29 AM, Reaperman said:

I'd be happy with just dumps of the official pack-ins and secret/unlockable games. Really surprised that doesn't seem to have happened already.

Guess the license-price per Capcom title is kinda high. 

If I’ve catched more up to the general drift of the business part now, my guess is that if they’d want Capcom games on carts, and wanting to keep cart-prices not higher than $24.99 each, they’d have to make carts with perhaps only 2 Arcade titles and then Console fillers (2-4).

This^ could, however be used as an opportunity (unless there are even more legalities and contract-dealings not easily seen by outsiders).

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Giles N said:

They could release a special-edition cart for $1999 😛

(in addition to 17 Capcom games, you get 4 high-quality self-assembly sticker-sets, super-glue tubes, blank plastic sheets, several QR-codes to get to links with images of the signatures of famous game-designers and many water-resistent ink-pens… total freedom!)

Well,  If they throw in a Free CAPCOM coffee mug,  SOLD!*

*Actually,  for That price,  they better throw in a high quality Breath of FireTM bumper sticker too!

Edited by GoldLeader
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1