IGNORED

Famicom (nes) is 20 years old on 15th july

woo hoo... I've got a good sized collection of games for the NES, and I am from the generation of kids that were the target consumers, but while all my friends had this system, and were rocking with mario and the gang, my dad figured the 2600Jr. "oh yessirey" for under fifty bucks, "UNDER FIFTY BUCKS!!" was nice. so I played games that he thought were cool, like space shuttle, jungle hunt, Battlezone, kangaroo, Combat, midnight magic, skiing, solaris, crystal castle, Asteroids, E.T., Missile command, Pole Position, Slot Racers, and Video Checkers. that was all I had as a kid growing up. and I never really actually played it that much either, no I was a big computer gamer from the start, I still am, I prefer computer FPS over console any day. but anyways I think that what we should all do this week, is get to know our NES's a little more, play them more than we do out 2600s and if you already do, well, maybe you should try new things with your NES, things you never thought the NES could do. just dont come whinning here when you get you *#&% stuck in the cartridge bay door!

HAPPY B-DAY FAMICOM / NES!!!!!

Amazing.. I remember seeing the Famicom in Japan (before there was ever an NES) and it was playing Mario Bros. on the store display. These were the years after the videogame crash and home videogames had pretty much become extinct as far as I could tell... Then there I was in Japan, and lo and behold, a japanese videogame console.. for the home! It was like Atari.. except, holy crap the Mario Bros looked AS GOOD AS THE ARCADE (hey.. it was the 80's ;)) I was totally blown away but thought that there was no way it would work in the U.S. and I was sort of right. So I didn't buy it and considered it.. "the hidden treasure" that I would go home and tell my friends about but no one would ever believe me :lol:

..Luckily it WAS eventually released in the U.S. hurray! The rest is history.

Thanks for the link :)

yea nes' were wonderful little machines, and can u believe they survived for almost 10 years? they continued on making games up until '95!

i owned a nes for a short period of time, but i had to get another sms (master systems being more popular than nes' in uk at the time) still i really enjoyed MB3, and hopefully nintendo will release it for GBA! well all i can say is good luck to nintendo in the future, as they are so special to so many people growing up with the nes from a young age.

So, does this count our US NES' as well? Or just the Japanese one?

Happy Birthday either way!

Next birthday to count down to... The Macintosh's 20th birthday on January 24th, 2004.

Oh, and my own on December 21st. Though that'll be the 24th birthday and not my 20th.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Nintendo is making a limited edition GBA SP in the Famicom colors.

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/428/428514p....html?fromint=1

I WANT ONE! Man! They're gonna really be rare. Only 1000?

I wanna paint my NES the Famicom's colors. What are the RGB values for the three colors? The marroon, white and gold. I want to be authentic!

Only 6 more years until the Gameboy's 20th birthday!

How about they re-release the NES for a limited time in an all new casing. Make it as small as possible while still allowing a cartridge. Or just an NES player. ;)

I know. THey'd NEVER do that. At least not in the US. Japan maybe. THey do ANYTHING over there.

Not only that but the japanese are only finishing producing Famicoms and Super Famicoms this year (September?). The NES deserves alot of credit for producing fine games for the home user, I still remember buying mine and getting a taxi home to plug it in.

happy birth day Nintendo! happy birthday Nintendo! happy BIRTHDAY nintendo, ( you little peice of crap that never works when I push the cart down) happy birthday nintendo!

sing that to "happy birthday" and just do a refrain on the part with the () at the same note as "do"

and here is a little poem that I'll make up as I write it.

Nintendo, Nintendo.

I love you Nintendo.

I won't pretednd though.

exactly how much I love ohh.

My little Nintendo.

Sitting by my Window.

Happy Birthday Nintendo.

I'm so happy for my Nintendo.

I think I'll do a endo.

for my Nintendo.

let me pretendo,

to be a Nintendo.

Actually I won't though,

it was a nice thought so,

I'll end my poem ohh,

about my Nintendo.

look at that made it up as I went!!!

i'm going to be the next Edger Allen Poe!

I dislike Nintendo as a whole. But the classic 8-bit still rocks the pants off of any modern system.

I still have mine connected and after an unorthadox method of cleaning it, it works better than new. Heck, a few weeks ago I picked up an NES Advantage for 3 bucks. I sure wish that somebody would make a 5200 controller or adapter for that controler

20 years old technology and they still sell new Famicoms in Mexico for $35, this workhorse is still running strong in Latinamerica.

Soon Soon Enough I will get a Fami.

But the actual Nes doesnt turn 20 untill 2005 (my frist year in the university)

But yeah that SP is suuper cool on those cool vintage fami colors!!!

20 years old technology and they still sell new Famicoms in Mexico for $35, this workhorse is still running strong in Latinamerica.

I'll wanna get a Famicom for my collection as well.

And, does anyone know the actual date the NES was released so we know when to buy the balloons and such? ;)

Oh, and next year, the Famicom'll be old enough to drink. :D

I'll wanna get a Famicom for my collection as well.

And, does anyone know the actual date the NES was released so we know when to buy the balloons and such? ;)

Oh, and next year, the Famicom'll be old enough to drink. :D

August, 1985 but the acutal numbered date I dont know!

Archived