IGNORED

F/S: Atari 5200 Controllers - Custom Joystick - Custom Paddle - Coin Controls Competition Pro

doubledown

I currently have 2 custom Atari 5200 Controllers built/available, and 1 other available for sale:

***First my 5200 Digital Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller - $355.00 (plus shipping):

nsWrMk.jpg

Built into a beefed-up Hammond Mfg 17" x 11.25" aluminum enclosure and featuring:

*iL Eurostick 8-way joystick w/ Cherry micro-switches

*iL extended length, threaded SST shaft w/ reproduction Wico 38mm joystick ball-top (Red)

*iL PSL-L concave push-buttons w/ Rollie leaf-switches (2-Red)

*Sanwa OBSF24 24mm push-butons (1-Black/Green (Start), 1-Black/Yellow (Pause), 1-Black/Red (Reset), & 12-Black/Black (keypad buttons)

*7.5' controller cable

*Custom CPO artwork

The 3 potentiometers across the top of the joystick are used to adjust the resistance values for maximum left, center, and maximum right, and the 3 along the right side of the joystick are used to adjust the resistance values for maximum up, center, and maximum down.  This full-spectrum calibration allows for maximum game and console compatibility, and the potentiometer knobs are black Phenolic plastic with aluminum inlays for that vintage look and feel.  The controller comes with a Manual, and Joystick Calibration Addendum.  I recommend using Pete's Test Cartridge software for calibrating this controller to your console.  

More info/pics can be found in my original post regarding this controller HERE

***Secondly my 5200 Edition - VVG Paddle Controller - $175.00 (plus shipping):

YhV3wU.jpg

A full-featured Atari 5200 Paddle Controller.  So the base enclosure is a Hammond Mfg. black anodized, extruded aluminum enclosure, with aluminum end plates and a slide-out aluminum belly plate.  Needless to say the enclosure is extremely robust, machines very well, and is only slightly larger than a normal CX-52.   Normally the selection of a potentiometer for the control in a paddle controller is kind of a no-brainer.  Pick one with the resistance value that you require, and that has the physical attributes that will allow for its installation in your project.  But when researching paddle controllers others have made/modified for the 5200 and 2600, I had read complaints that some felt the controls were too sensitive for some games or not sensitive enough for others.  So I chose a 2-Gang, 500k ohm linear potentiometer wired through a SPDT switch, so that I can switch between 500k ohm and 1M ohm at the push of a switch.   The 500k ohm setting is less “touchy” and allows for finer movements and control, while the 1M ohm setting allows for super quick on-screen movements, like those necessary in the higher levels of Kaboom!  The resistance selection switch is located on the lower end plate and is protected from accidental in-game switching, by a clear flip-cover.  The switch to the right of the resistance selection switch is a SP3T (ON) – ON – (ON) paddle rocker switch, which is wired as the controller’s Up/Down controls.  This allows me to maneuver around my AtariMax Ultimate SD Multi-Cart menu line by line for game selection.  For the games I intend to use this with, I don’t know that I really need both 5200 buttons, but I figured as I was going all out, I might as well include both the Top & Bottom buttons...and to make it ambidextrous, I installed them on both sides.  The side buttons are Sanwa SDM-18 arcade test buttons.  They feature concave plungers for a great vintage feel, and have a nice light/short press to make the contacts. Of course it wouldn’t be a “full-featured” & “stand-alone” 5200 controller if it didn’t have its own 12 button keypad and Start/Pause/Reset buttons, so I installed a 4x4 membrane keypad with a custom overlay modeled after the original CX-52 buttons.  This allows for all game selections and auxiliary controls, without the need for a wye cable and/or a 2nd controller to be used in tandem.  It has a 9.5' cable and includes a manual.  

***Lastly I have a used/working Coin Controls - Competition Pro Controller $60.00 (plus shipping):

uG1n6X.jpg

Send me a PM if you're interested.  Thanks.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Ha! Having built some controllers myself (none of it near THAT nice), I was just admiring the handiwork. What people ask for custom made stuff...I've learned never to blink an eye.

As much as I'd love a good custom 5200 controller, I don't think anyone would buy it for $355 plus shipping. I know it was well made with good parts and people do seek for these controllers, $355 is too much, but that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluejay said:

As much as I'd love a good custom 5200 controller, I don't think anyone would buy it for $355 plus shipping. I know it was well made with good parts and people do seek for these controllers, $355 is too much, but that's just my opinion.

Only takes one right? I am pretty sure I have seen some of this dude's custom Colecovision controllers go for similar type pricing. You just never know.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 3/8/2020 at 3:24 PM, doubledown said:

I currently have 2 custom Atari 5200 Controllers built/available, and 1 other available for sale:

***First my 5200 Digital Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller - $355.00 (plus shipping):

nsWrMk.jpg

Built into a beefed-up Hammond Mfg 17" x 11.25" aluminum enclosure and featuring:

*iL Eurostick 8-way joystick w/ Cherry micro-switches

*iL extended length, threaded SST shaft w/ reproduction Wico 38mm joystick ball-top (Red)

*iL PSL-L concave push-buttons w/ Rollie leaf-switches (2-Red)

*Sanwa OBSF24 24mm push-butons (1-Black/Green (Start), 1-Black/Yellow (Pause), 1-Black/Red (Reset), & 12-Black/Black (keypad buttons)

*7.5' controller cable

*Custom CPO artwork

The 3 potentiometers across the top of the joystick are used to adjust the resistance values for maximum left, center, and maximum right, and the 3 along the right side of the joystick are used to adjust the resistance values for maximum up, center, and maximum down.  This full-spectrum calibration allows for maximum game and console compatibility, and the potentiometer knobs are black Phenolic plastic with aluminum inlays for that vintage look and feel.  The controller comes with a Manual, and Joystick Calibration Addendum.  I recommend using Pete's Test Cartridge software for calibrating this controller to your console.  

***Secondly my 5200 Edition - VVG Paddle Controller - $175.00 (plus shipping):

YhV3wU.jpg

A full-featured Atari 5200 Paddle Controller.  So the base enclosure is a Hammond Mfg. black anodized, extruded aluminum enclosure, with aluminum end plates and a slide-out aluminum belly plate.  Needless to say the enclosure is extremely robust, machines very well, and is only slightly larger than a normal CX-52.   Normally the selection of a potentiometer for the control in a paddle controller is kind of a no-brainer.  Pick one with the resistance value that you require, and that has the physical attributes that will allow for its installation in your project.  But when researching paddle controllers others have made/modified for the 5200 and 2600, I had read complaints that some felt the controls were too sensitive for some games or not sensitive enough for others.  So I chose a 2-Gang, 500k ohm linear potentiometer wired through a SPDT switch, so that I can switch between 500k ohm and 1M ohm at the push of a switch.   The 500k ohm setting is less “touchy” and allows for finer movements and control, while the 1M ohm setting allows for super quick on-screen movements, like those necessary in the higher levels of Kaboom!  The resistance selection switch is located on the lower end plate and is protected from accidental in-game switching, by a clear flip-cover.  The switch to the right of the resistance selection switch is a SP3T (ON) – ON – (ON) paddle rocker switch, which is wired as the controller’s Up/Down controls.  This allows me to maneuver around my AtariMax Ultimate SD Multi-Cart menu line by line for game selection.  For the games I intend to use this with, I don’t know that I really need both 5200 buttons, but I figured as I was going all out, I might as well include both the Top & Bottom buttons...and to make it ambidextrous, I installed them on both sides.  The side buttons are Sanwa SDM-18 arcade test buttons.  They feature concave plungers for a great vintage feel, and have a nice light/short press to make the contacts. Of course it wouldn’t be a “full-featured” & “stand-alone” 5200 controller if it didn’t have its own 12 button keypad and Start/Pause/Reset buttons, so I installed a 4x4 membrane keypad with a custom overlay modeled after the original CX-52 buttons.  This allows for all game selections and auxiliary controls, without the need for a wye cable and/or a 2nd controller to be used in tandem.  It has a 9.5' cable and includes a manual.  

***Lastly I have a used/working Coin Controls - Competition Pro Controller $60.00 (plus shipping):

uG1n6X.jpg

Send me a PM if you're interested.  Thanks.

I know I'm gonna get flack for doing this  but is are any of these controllers still available???

Edited by BIGHMW
spelling error

https://www.vikingvg.com/atari-controllers

This guy is definitely the real deal, check out his lineup of controllers for all the different systems, BTW, I'm thinking of saving up for/using my income tax refund for one of these and PM'ing him about getting that sweet 5200 red ball controller, definitely of top quality, nicely done!!!

I won’t disclose how much I paid for a custom Vectrex controller, but it was way more than $355. I wish I would have purchased one of these instead. Great craftsmanship and spectacular customization.

Do you make Vectrex controllers?

I would love a paddle controller like that for the Vectrex. Playing Hyperchase and the binary star paddle games would be amazing.

1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

https://www.vikingvg.com/atari-controllers

This guy is definitely the real deal, check out his lineup of controllers for all the different systems, BTW, I'm thinking of saving up for/using my income tax refund for one of these and PM'ing him about getting that sweet 5200 red ball controller, definitely of top quality, nicely done!!!

I bought his 5200 digital enhanced controller. His controllers are far and away the best and ergonomically thought out, button and stick placement. You can buy cheaper and smaller controllers that "work" but they just don't compare nor fit on your lap if that is how you play with them. I have three controllers from him and want more. I have this, a Nes/Snes controller and a 7800 one. I may add photos of them here.

Edited by AtariBrian

1 minute ago, BIGHMW said:

Does/Can he still make them???

I know he has been super busy with work for many months. I would never speak for him but I would hope if he ever comes back to AA and his work slows down that eventually he could make something for you. All you can do is pm him and hopefully he eventually gets back to you. No controller maker or "wannabe" compares to his quality of work. ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

I know he has been super busy with work for many months. I would never speak for him but I would hope if he ever comes back to AA and his work slows down that eventually he could make something for you. All you can do is pm him and hopefully he eventually gets back to you. No controller maker or "wannabe" compares to his quality of work. ?

Already PM'ed him about an hour ago, I hope he answers, if not I'll be fine otherwise, but I DO love his work. Having seen his Atari works made me a fan of his already, and as you have mentioned he does some rather fine work at that.

30 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Already PM'ed him about an hour ago, I hope he answers, if not I'll be fine otherwise, but I DO love his work. Having seen his Atari works made me a fan of his already, and as you have mentioned he does some rather fine work at that.

Doubledown hasn't been on AtariAge since July.