IGNORED

What Is Your Opinion On Arcade Archives?

Magmavision2000

8 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

OK, I didn't know that.

Yeah, Taito was just the publisher. I doubt that there will ever be any games both developed and published by a not-Japanese publisher/dev on Arcade Archives at this rate, but it's possible. I wonder how many more games Hamster has or will get licensing for. I know Toaplan isn't going to happen since M2 is doing that (extremely slowly), but Hamster doesn't seem like they are going to stop releasing things yet. About 1/3 of the Neo Geo titles are still missing, but I doubt the rest will show up.

PixelHeart owns the Visco games now, so as much as I'd like to see Andro Dunos show up, PixelHeart seems content with just rereleasing it on AES and Dreamcast... hopefully the Dreamcast port is good. I have heard that their other Dreamcast ports have some problems. I think I read somewhere that their Neo Geo -> Dreamcast ports aren't actually ports but emulated instead, but I'm not sure how true it is.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

6 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I have heard that their other Dreamcast ports have some problems. I think I read somewhere that their Neo Geo -> Dreamcast ports aren't actually ports but emulated instead, but I'm not sure how true it is.

Pixelheart's boss actually explained it to me. The problem is the source code is lost, so they have no other way than emulating them. He claims they admitted it really clearly on DC fan sites, but they still get criticism for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Pixelheart's boss actually explained it to me. The problem is the source code is lost, so they have no other way than emulating them. He claims they admitted it really clearly on DC fan sites, but they still get criticism for it.

That sucks. Nothing you can do about lost source code, but it does explain the emulation.

• 6 months later...

They usually put a random group of 4-8 arcade archives games at half-price for one week a month. Never more than 50% off. Never offered any discounted bundles.

Sometimes they repeat a few of the games that were in previous sales but most have only been discounted once. If you see a sale price on an arcade archives title you want, don't wait for the next time it's on sale...

5 hours ago, thegamezmaster said:

Is there ever sales on their games? Never seen on yet. 

56 minutes ago, boog said:

They usually put a random group of 4-8 arcade archives games at half-price for one week a month. Never more than 50% off. Never offered any discounted bundles.

Sometimes they repeat a few of the games that were in previous sales but most have only been discounted once. If you see a sale price on an arcade archives title you want, don't wait for the next time it's on sale...

That’s a really accurate description. Hamster does the same thing with the Neo Geo ACA games as they do with the Arcade Archives. I add them to my favorites list and wait. I bought Puzzle Bobble 2 last year and Neo Turf Masters this year. Hamster is quite stingy with the sales. 

• Like 2

Nichibutsu's games like Ninja Kid and Crazy Climber go on sale more often than most. You can check sales histories on dekudeals. There are a few on sale right now. I have practically the whole line on my dekudeals wishlist... any time any one of them goes on sale, I at least think about it. But if you really want a particular game yeah just pay the eight bucks. Otherwise, even for the ones that go on sale semi-regularly you might be waiting a while.

Dekudeals is a great site for tracking Switch discounts. As Daj mentioned, there are a few arcade archives games from Taito on sale this week... Front Line, Ninja Warriors, Pirate Pete, Time Tunnel, and Typhoon Gal.

Time Tunnel and Front Line were discounted once before. The other three are on sale for the first time.

Edited by boog

3 hours ago, boog said:

Dekudeals is a great site for tracking Switch discounts. As Daj mentioned, there are a few arcade archives games from Taito on sale this week... Front Line, Ninja Warriors, Pirate Pete, Time Tunnel, and Typhoon Gal.

Thanks, I recently wrote about Typhoon Gal and was considering getting it since it looks silly in a good way. I have the feeling the oldest games are more often on sale, while most of the games on my wish list are "recent".

5 hours ago, boog said:

Time Tunnel and Front Line were discounted once before. The other three are on sale for the first time.

Also: Puzzle Bobble

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm subscribed to Hamster Corporation on Twitter and I eagerly check their account weekly to see what the next Arcade Archives release is going to be. I first noticed them when I saw Vs Super Mario Bros pop up in the eShop. That's a super rare game that I'm surprised Nintendo authorized an official re-release of. Hamster also ported Shao-lin's Road to the eShop and that's probably my most favorite arcade game of all time, I have the plexiglass marquees from the game hanging up and everything. Shao-lin's Road NEVER gets ported to anything. Prior to its release via Arcade Archives the last time this arcade game was released was as a downloadable game for Microsoft's failed Game Room app on the Xbox 360, which I was quick to pick up before the whole thing was delisted.

Tetris: The Grandmaster 1 and 2 were also released by Hamster and even though I am terrible at the games and they kick my ass immediately I still enjoy playing them. And the much maligned Dinorex saw release not to long ago, a hokey jank arcade game where you fight 1 on 1 as dinosaurs with corny digitized sprites. The game absolutely sucks but it's hilarious that Hamster still released it, and from a game preservation standpoint I'd say it's also important that they did.

• Like 2