IGNORED

vbcc - C compiler ported to 6502

Well known from Amiga vbcc compiler (compatible with C99) just got optimized code generation for 6502:
http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6100

vbcc was the compiler of choice for many years on Amiga, but recently was losing in benchmarks against the newest GCC builds.

Currently the runtime is for C64 and is basic. Interesting is support of float values, which C compilers on 6502 rarely support.

Worth to compare it against KickC, Millfork or CC65 in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ilmenit said:

Well known from Amiga vbcc compiler (compatible with C99) just got optimized code generation for 6502:
http://forum.6502.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6100

vbcc was the compiler of choice for many years on Amiga, but recently was losing in benchmarks against the newest GCC builds.

Currently the runtime is for C64 and is basic. Interesting is support of float values, which C compilers on 6502 rarely support.

Worth to compare it against KickC, Millfork or CC65 in the future.

When was VBCC the choice for Amiga?  I know people used it, but some people used MANX 'C', and Lattice/SAS 'C' was the choice where I was.
GCC replaced SAS after a few years.

I guess maybe VBCC was the choice if you wanted a free compiler before GCC?

The Amiga system compiler was (and, in a sense still is) the SAS/C compiler, which is a later version of the Lattice C compiler. The Os is compiled with SAS/C. vbcc is a popular compiler option for some homebrewed projects, though, even though it does not reach the quality of SAS/C.

• 3 weeks later...

VBCC is a decent enough compiler, it produces smaller code e.g. than the recent GCC amigaos branches.

VBCC is also one of the only choices of compiler if you want to write code to run directly on the VC4 in the Raspberry Pi. (I have done this for some special embedded projects where boot up time was paramount, the VC4 can boot to bare metal VC4 code in a few hundred milliseconds)

-Thom